11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Off topic here but my dad was naturalized here in the US. On his immigration paper, he wrote out last name, first name and then middle. Everything else such as SSN and driver license, it has been first, middle, and then last name. Yesterday, my dad tried getting his driver license renewed and the lady refused to renew his driver license because his immigration paper does not match his other paper work due to the order of his name. My parents are in search of a solution.  They found a lawyer willing to help for $2000. Is  this the only way for them to get this fixed? My dad has been a US citizen for over 20 years now and this has never been a problem until now.

43 minutes ago, britishandusa said:

Off topic here but my dad was naturalized here in the US. On his immigration paper, he wrote out last name, first name and then middle. Everything else such as SSN and driver license, it has been first, middle, and then last name. Yesterday, my dad tried getting his driver license renewed and the lady refused to renew his driver license because his immigration paper does not match his other paper work due to the order of his name. My parents are in search of a solution.  They found a lawyer willing to help for $2000. Is  this the only way for them to get this fixed? My dad has been a US citizen for over 20 years now and this has never been a problem until now.

Which immigration papers is he showing if he's an American citizen?

42 minutes ago, britishandusa said:

On his immigration paper, he wrote out last name, first name and then middle.

what's this immigration paper ?

42 minutes ago, britishandusa said:

Everything else such as SSN and driver license, it has been first, middle, and then last name.  

what document does he need for driver license renewal ?

H1b ---> EB-1A (I-140) ---> I-485 AOS(Green Card) ---> 5 years --->  US Citizenship N400 application

• Day 011/16/2017, e-filing N400
  • Day 3069/18/2018,  interview day--passed and in line for oath.
  • Day 332: 10/15/2018, Oath Day

Timeline
1 minute ago, GoBig said:

what's this immigration paper ?

what document does he need for driver license renewal ?

1 minute ago, Lemonslice said:

Which immigration papers is he showing if he's an American citizen?

It's his certificate of naturalization.

This is the list of requirements in FL:

• 1 document to prove your identity, such as your:
    • U.S. passport (valid and unexpired).
    • Birth certificate (original or certified copy).
    • Certificate of Naturalization issued by the DHS.
  • 1 document to prove your Social Security number (SSN), such as your:
    • Driver license from any U.S. state, the District of Columbia, or U.S. territory.
    • School record showing your date of birth and the registrar's signature.
    • Marriage certificate.
  • 2 documents to prove your FL residency, such as your:
    • Florida voter registration card.
    • W-2 or 1099 form.
    • Florida vehicle registration or title.
  • Payment for the $48 renewal fee.
    • See the “Fees to Renew Your Florida Driver's License" section below for more information.

Timeline
9 hours ago, TNJ17 said:

Just use your passport. No need to pay 2 grand to a lawyer for something you can do yourself. 

My dad doesn't have a passport anymore. His expired years ago. :( 

Why can’t he use his naturalization cert to

get a us passport, way cheaper than the lawyer you quoted.

Are you saying he put his last name as his first name and now legally in the us that is his name or they happened to write it last, first middle and the dmv are muppets who can’t understand that? 

If the latter go to another dmv Centre, will prob get a different answer.

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
12 hours ago, britishandusa said:

change his name through deed poll

more commonly, people are used to the order of First -Middle- Last names (like SSN, Driver license, ect). but sometimes, several type of official documents write  names in the order of Last, First-Middle names (USCIS document )

Edited by marcusa

ATTENTION!!!   Minneapolis N400 filers,  please use the link below to review others or update your status .!  Changes will be saved automatically. Best luck to all of us! 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zAp0TsKmPJf_9JiQxsUnfh2F9kLzbr9cpfyuGv2RjfQ/edit?usp=sharing 

My immigration journey:

• 08/2011,H-1b entry
  • 05/2012, EB-1A 140 approval
  • 02/2013AOS / I-485 approval and received green card
  • 11/2017, N-400 e-filed (5-year term)
  • 09/2018, N-400 approval 
  • 10/2018, oath day
  • 11/26/2018, minor child N-600 mailed out(USPS)
  • 04/12/2019, N-600 approval letter  

Timeline
6 hours ago, Illiria said:

Why can’t he use his naturalization cert to

get a us passport, way cheaper than the lawyer you quoted.

Are you saying he put his last name as his first name and now legally in the us that is his name or they happened to write it last, first middle and the dmv are muppets who can’t understand that? 

If the latter go to another dmv Centre, will prob get a different answer.

I'm gonna talk to him tonight about it! Hopefully this will be sorted

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.