Amhara

I-751 December 2017 Filers [merged threads]

2,436 posts in this topic

On 6/11/2019 at 2:59 PM, beensfield said:

Thank you! My husband and I are BEYOND relieved. Photo of our status from when he got his biometrics done attached.

1272107562.png

I received the letter for more biometrics traces on the 24th and the day 06-12-2019 the realization is yesterday.  How long does it take for them to update?  I was transferred on May 29 to another jurisdiction to NBC?  What's next?  I am December 21 2017

My 18 month extension letter is about to expire, so I called USCIS today to schedule an info pass appointment, as it's not possible to make appointments online for the LA office. The person I spoke to said that an officer would call me back within 48 hours to schedule it. Is this normal? How come they can't make the appointment over the phone? Thanks. 

1 hour ago, jz1495 said:

My 18 month extension letter is about to expire, so I called USCIS today to schedule an info pass appointment, as it's not possible to make appointments online for the LA office. The person I spoke to said that an officer would call me back within 48 hours to schedule it. Is this normal? How come they can't make the appointment over the phone? Thanks. 

I could be wrong, but the first person you get when you call USCIS is always a 'tier one' person.  They only have information available on uscis.gov.  They have no access to your account information.  In times past, I wouldn't be surprised if they used uscis.gov to make the infopass for you.  But since that service is being cut, I think a 'tier two' person has to take a look and decide if you really need an infopass.  I think USCIS got tired of people making appointments to ask about their cases after waiting a few months.  It's really annoying to those that really need the appointments!!

On another note, it looks like quiet a few on this thread are having the opposite experience from us!  We had an interview and was only approved for the GC, some people are going to the interview and only getting their USC approved!  But, as someone pointed out, you have only 120 days to wait before you can take more aggressive action to get your USC application approved.  That's time that you may have had to wait on getting the GC approved.  As a Dallas filer, my husband is glad to have been in line sooner and only have until the end of the year...potentially!

C'mon, June!  Give us more approvals!

Signature coming soon...

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
1 hour ago, jz1495 said:

Yes same thing with me I travel on the 21st and wanted to get i551 stamp and they said the office will call me within 24-72hrs.. Online the offices say no info pass appointment so you will have to call for them to call you and give you an appointment. 

Filed: Timeline

Made an appt for the stamp. They will call you after about 24 hours. 

09/03/15 - AOS mailed to Chicago

10/05/15 - RFE recvd

10/07/15 - Biometrics done, RFE sent

10/13/15 - Online status changed RFE under review

10/15/15 - 2nd RFE issued and mailed

11/18/15 - RFE response sent

12/03/15 - i765 Approved

12/10/15 - EAD recvd

12/17/15 - Interview is scheduled on Jan 21

01/21/16 - Approved/Card in production

01/28/16 - GC recvd

I have an infopass appt on Friday to get the stamp in my passport.

Does anyone know if there's been a change of policy re n400 combo interviews? The officer who did my n400 in Los Angeles last week said that i751s are handled by a different office, so he couldn't process that form (even though he had the file in front of him). I know the LA office used to do combos, so why this change? The officer seemed really nice, so I don't have a reason to disbelieve him. It's all very frustrating.

17 minutes ago, jz1495 said:

I have an infopass appt on Friday to get the stamp in my passport.

Does anyone know if there's been a change of policy re n400 combo interviews? The officer who did my n400 in Los Angeles last week said that i751s are handled by a different office, so he couldn't process that form (even though he had the file in front of him). I know the LA office used to do combos, so why this change? The officer seemed really nice, so I don't have a reason to disbelieve him. It's all very frustrating.

I recommend writing a letter and send it to all the addresses you have received letters on.  Just vent.  Explain you had to get a I-551 stamp when the officer could have approved your case per the policy manual.  Quote or print/highlight where this is stated:

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-g-chapter-5

Also include wording to the effect that this is very inefficient and is wasting governmental resources.  That often gets attention.  If you were approved, then the hotline wouldn’t have had to call you back.  You wouldn’t be taking up a field officer’s time.  The USCIS could get you in line and save the stamp/possible card.

I hope you are approved soon!

Signature coming soon...

Hi all. I just got my n400 interview for July 11. My I751 is still pending. No idea if this will be a combo interview or not. As usual, we dont know what to expect...will they even give me more information if I call them? Will they be able to confirm what they are planning to do? What documents did you guys bring to your naturalization and (hopefully) I751 interview?  Did you bring originals of everything you submitted on the application? Should I upload new proof on the online application, or should I just bring it with me?

3 hours ago, aionescu said:

Hi all. I just got my n400 interview for July 11. My I751 is still pending. No idea if this will be a combo interview or not. As usual, we dont know what to expect...will they even give me more information if I call them? Will they be able to confirm what they are planning to do? What documents did you guys bring to your naturalization and (hopefully) I751 interview?  Did you bring originals of everything you submitted on the application? Should I upload new proof on the online application, or should I just bring it with me?

Calling is nothing but frustration because the tier one people can only give information that is available on uscis.gov.  Write letters to the addresses to request a combo interview.  You should get a response regarding your correspondence.  I would recommend uploading and bring them - cover all your bases.

Signature coming soon...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
6 hours ago, Amhara said:

Calling is nothing but frustration because the tier one people can only give information that is available on uscis.gov.  Write letters to the addresses to request a combo interview.  You should get a response regarding your correspondence.  I would recommend uploading and bring them - cover all your bases.

I am in the same situation.  N-400 interview on June 28, 2019, i-751 is still pending from Nov 2017.  N-400 interview did not say anything about comb interview.  I sent an inquiry a month ago, no response.  I am going with my US spouse for interview, hope for comb interview and both approval ( Philly).   No need to upload anything, you can take with them.  I am going to take with me 2018 tax transcript, originals as  requested on N-400 interview letter and a few latest joint bank account statements.

8 hours ago, dilip said:

I am in the same situation.  N-400 interview on June 28, 2019, i-751 is still pending from Nov 2017.  N-400 interview did not say anything about comb interview.  I sent an inquiry a month ago, no response.  I am going with my US spouse for interview, hope for comb interview and both approval ( Philly).   No need to upload anything, you can take with them.  I am going to take with me 2018 tax transcript, originals as  requested on N-400 interview letter and a few latest joint bank account statements.

Let us know what happens - it was very frustrating for me, as I have read that other people have had combo interviews at the LA office. The guy who interviewed me said I-751 are handled by a different office and that he wasn't allowed to process them, just n400s. I have read on visa journey that can contact the field office that is doing your interview in writing and request a combo, however, I don't know if it's true.  

19 hours ago, Amhara said:

I recommend writing a letter and send it to all the addresses you have received letters on.  Just vent.  Explain you had to get a I-551 stamp when the officer could have approved your case per the policy manual.  Quote or print/highlight where this is stated:

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-g-chapter-5

Also include wording to the effect that this is very inefficient and is wasting governmental resources.  That often gets attention.  If you were approved, then the hotline wouldn’t have had to call you back.  You wouldn’t be taking up a field officer’s time.  The USCIS could get you in line and save the stamp/possible card.

I hope you are approved soon!

Thanks! Does taking this somewhat aggressive tone work or does it just piss them off?

41 minutes ago, jz1495 said:

Let us know what happens - it was very frustrating for me, as I have read that other people have had combo interviews at the LA office. The guy who interviewed me said I-751 are handled by a different office and that he wasn't allowed to process them, just n400s. I have read on visa journey that can contact the field office that is doing your interview in writing and request a combo, however, I don't know if it's true.  

It does.  We wrote letters requesting a combo interview and sent one to the field office.  My husband received a phone call from the IO letting him know it will be a combo interview and that I will need to attend.  This was a few days after he received an email response that confirmed he would receive a combo.  I thought the phone call was very courteous for USCIS!

28 minutes ago, jz1495 said:

Thanks! Does taking this somewhat aggressive tone work or does it just piss them off?

Facts don't care about their feelings.  :) They can get as upset as they want to be, but at the end of the day, they should not be jerking you around like this.  When I worked for the government, I know our office gave attention to these sorts of letters because they often get escalated to the manager.  Case files are often reviewed before final approval, and if you send a physical letter, that has to be associated with the case file and someone will need to read them.  The government often has a strict procedure in getting correspondence to the right person, so they are not often lost and your expressions of what you are going through will need to go through the IO assigned to your case and to their manager.  If there is something that is holding up the case, then the manager will understand, but it could also play a part into their metrics and how to improve them.  Pizz them off, jz - it can be helpful!  :D

Signature coming soon...

14 minutes ago, Amhara said:

It does.  We wrote letters requesting a combo interview and sent one to the field office.  My husband received a phone call from the IO letting him know it will be a combo interview and that I will need to attend.  This was a few days after he received an email response that confirmed he would receive a combo.  I thought the phone call was very courteous for USCIS!

Facts don't care about their feelings.  :) They can get as upset as they want to be, but at the end of the day, they should not be jerking you around like this.  When I worked for the government, I know our office gave attention to these sorts of letters because they often get escalated to the manager.  Case files are often reviewed before final approval, and if you send a physical letter, that has to be associated with the case file and someone will need to read them.  The government often has a strict procedure in getting correspondence to the right person, so they are not often lost and your expressions of what you are going through will need to go through the IO assigned to your case and to their manager.  If there is something that is holding up the case, then the manager will understand, but it could also play a part into their metrics and how to improve them.  Pizz them off, jz - it can be helpful!  :D

@Amhara, thanks so much for all the advice! This may be a silly question, but do you have a sample of what you told them in your letter? Did you just explain your case, then ask for the possibility of a combo interview?

2 hours ago, aionescu said:

@Amhara, thanks so much for all the advice! This may be a silly question, but do you have a sample of what you told them in your letter? Did you just explain your case, then ask for the possibility of a combo interview?

I don’t have a sample.  I wrote it by hand and we made photo copies.  Four: one to the IO at the field office, and three to the various ROC addresses.  (Initial NOA, extended NOA, & transfer notice.)

I included the case numbers from both the ROC & USC applications.  I requested that the ROC is adjudicated per the USCIS policy manual.  I included copies of the notices mentioned above and sent them out.  I figured the initial and extension addresses were overkill, but just in case they were still located there, I didn’t want to leave any stone unturned.

Hope that helps.

Signature coming soon...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.