1,304 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Mansarjai said:

I think they must be trying to accommodate you in an oath ceremony for July. Keep your fingers crossed and congratulations. Almost there! :)

Yes I do hope so! I requested at the end to be accommodated for July, but I don't know as yet whether did manage to do so. I had a regular pattern of international business travel in my history and mentioned that an earlier ceremony would help me avoid having to rush my passport.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

So I just moved states, and have 6 days until my interview in Newark (where they do same-day oaths). I have no problem travelling there and doing the interview.

My plan is to file the change of address today, and of course not lie about residency or anything else.

My question: given that is 6 days away, would they reschedule the interview to my current state? I'd hate for this to happen and delay the process, would just rather do it there anyway.

Any advice?

My interview was a couple of days ago. It was a very straightforward experience. Despite having been here for over a decade and a half, and having been a GC via employment since 2008, my file wasn't all that thick - about 1inch. They had my old H1 and 485 paperwork. 

The interview started with the oath, fingerprints and photo. She then went over my application. I had a copy of it with some edits (additional travel) and she was happy to have all the information she needed to update things quickly. There were no major issues here. I offered her paperwork for my single traffic ticket but she waved me off. She asked why my drivers license doesn't have my current address, and I explained I forgot to update DMV records, but gave her the current mortgage and property tax documents for my stated residence. And that was all. She did not ask for any Selective Service evidence, though it was listed as one of the things to bring, but I became a GC after the age of 26. 

Surprisingly, I signed both the corrections and the allegiance confirmation at this point, before any testing. Next was civics and history. The interviewer made a mistake at this point. 

* "Which group of Africans were brought to the US as slaves ?"

Me: err, I think there's a mistake...

Her: Oh! I'm sorry, I think I just told you the answer along with the question. 

Me: (grinning and nodding) 

She gets a little flustered and spends a couple of minutes invalidating the question. We are both aware that means 6/9 required for me now, though it's not my fault. She looks worried about what to do if I get 4 wrong. Anyway I knock off the next six with ease:

* What is the highest court in the US ?
* Who is the vice president of the US
* Who makes federal laws
* How many amendments to the Constitution ?
* Why did the colonists fight the British ? 
* What territory did the US buy from France in 1803 ?

She looked relieved and smiled when I answered the last question, showing she'd not have to fight the system to generate more questions. Next was the reading and writing:

Reading: "Who can vote ?"

Writing: "Citizens can vote" 

And with that things were done. She spent the next 5-10 minutes typing, printing and stapling things together, and my travel history has regular business travel, so I asked her if she'd kindly request to schedule me for the July oath ceremony, and she said of course, I'll note the request down. The meeting ended with some chitchat where she asked me what her child could do to pursue my line of engineering work and I gave her some brief insights as we walked back to the door. And that was that. 

Please update my timeline:

Interview Letter Rcvd: June 5 2018

Interview: July 11 2018

Oath letter rcvd: July 13 2018

Oath Date: July 26 2018 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
3 hours ago, CheeseMonstah said:

So I just moved states, and have 6 days until my interview in Newark (where they do same-day oaths). I have no problem travelling there and doing the interview.

My plan is to file the change of address today, and of course not lie about residency or anything else.

My question: given that is 6 days away, would they reschedule the interview to my current state? I'd hate for this to happen and delay the process, would just rather do it there anyway.

Any advice?

If you send them a request to update your address, they will diffidently reschedule your interview, and it might take several months.

My recommendation is to update your address in the interview, and you're good to go.

Timeline
50 minutes ago, semsem said:

If you send them a request to update your address, they will diffidently reschedule your interview, and it might take several months.

My recommendation is to update your address in the interview, and you're good to go.

Ugh now I'm even more unsure lol

Wouldn't it be a problem if I show up, first question is, do I still reside in the same place, and the follow up: then why didn't you update your address online within 10 days as it's required?

:wacko:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
39 minutes ago, CheeseMonstah said:

Ugh now I'm even more unsure lol

Wouldn't it be a problem if I show up, first question is, do I still reside in the same place, and the follow up: then why didn't you update your address online within 10 days as it's required?

:wacko:

Since you have 10 days to update your address, and your interview is within those 10 days, so you are okay to keep using the old address until the day 10th of of your address change.

if I'm you, and the they asked me if I still reside in the same place? my answer easily will be (I just moved to a new address 6 days ago and had no chance to send you the updated address).

Timeline
25 minutes ago, semsem said:

Since you have 10 days to update your address, and your interview is within those 10 days, so you are okay to keep using the old address until the day 10th of of your address change.

if I'm you, and the they asked me if I still reside in the same place? my answer easily will be (I just moved to a new address 6 days ago and had no chance to send you the updated address).

Well, TECHNICALLY it would've been 15 days when I get to the interview...

Still think I will follow your advice.

On 7/12/2018 at 1:20 PM, Mansarjai said:

I think they must be trying to accommodate you in an oath ceremony for July. Keep your fingers crossed and congratulations. Almost there! :)

Sorry for posting my question here. I had my interview last week, July 10th and my oath taking schedule will be this Thurs but I have not received the letter yet. Do you think it’s okay to print the letter that is uploaded online? Pls help. Thanks. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline
2 hours ago, mgs2510 said:

I had my interview today. It was very fast and easy. I was done in 15 minutes.

Now is just wait for the Oath Ceremony :-)

Congrats! Did you have a joint I-751/N400 interview? If so can you elaborate how it went?

Adjustment of Status From F-1 Visa.

8/14/2014: Mailed AOS package: I-130, I-485, I-765.

8/18/2014: Accepted in Chicago. Transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

8/21/2014: Received NOA 1. I-130, I-485, I-765 in mail.

8/25/2014: Received biometrics in mail. Scheduled for 9/8/2014

9/24/2014: EAD approved. 36 Days!

10/01/2014: EAD mailed.

10/03/2014: Received EAD card.

10/14/2014: I-485 moved to testing and interview.

1/28/2015: Interview scheduled for 3/4/2015.

1/31/2015: Received interview notice.

3/4/2015: Interview completed and APPROVED!

3/5/2015: Welcome notice mailed and I-130 Approved.

3/10/2015: Welcome notice and I-130 approval notice received.

3/12/2015: Green card mailed.

3/14/2015: Green card delivered.

Removal of Conditions: 

12/14/2016: Mailed I-751.

12/19/2016: NOA issued.

01/26/2017: Biometrics.

05/03/2018: I-751 transfered to NBC.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 Interview.

05/14/2019: I-751 APPROVED.

Naturalization:

12/02/2017: Mailed N 400 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox. (I-751 still pending)

12/05/2017: Package delivered in Phoenix, AZ. Transferred to Harrisonburg Processing Center.

12/07/2017: Notice of action issued. (IOE)

12/26/2017: Biometrics.

01/23/2019: Interview Scheduled for 2/27/2019.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 interview. N-400 recommended for approval.

05/16/2019: N-400 APPROVED! Placed in line for oath ceremony.

05/17/2019: Oath ceremony notice mailed.

06/12/2019: Swearing in Ceremony! Finally a U.S. citizen!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
26 minutes ago, Starkilla09 said:

Congrats! Did you have a joint I-751/N400 interview? If so can you elaborate how it went?

No, actually my 10 years green card expired this past May.

The interview was very easy and relaxing.

The officer placed me under oath, checked my passport, green card and driver's license. She got the finger print  form my index finger (both hands) and took my picture.

She told me she would give me the test first and than go thought the application.

For the questions I got: 

1. Who was the first President?

2. Who is the chief justice now?

3. How many House of representatives voting members

4. We elect U.S. representative for how many years?

5. When do we vote for President?

6. We elect a President for how many years?

For the reading part: Who was the first President?

For the writing: George Washington was the first President.

She congratulate me and said I passed the test and checked the information from the application such as name, address, marriage, kids name's and all the questions in Part 12 of the application ( Have you ever claimed to be a U.S citizen......).

She asked me to check if my information was correct on a IPAD and had me to sign it twice.

I was handled an interview naturalization results sheet that says I passed the test and my application has been recommended for approval.

She told I was going to receive the letter of the mail with the information about the oath. I asked how often they have the ceremony and she said every couple weeks and that my oath would probably be around beginning of August.

The officer was very nice and polite. The all process lasted for about 15 to 20 minutes.

After I got home I got a notification: Oath Ceremony Notice was mailed.

Now just waiting for the letter on the mail or online :-)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.