Mrsjackson

Get baby a US passport or CRBA?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello, 

I'm the Canadian fiancé of a US citizen. We filed the I-129F back in September. We have a baby together so therefore not a K2 situation and I'm wondering if we should apply for a US passport for her or just file a CRBA? CRBA seems easier (maybe not?). Any information is much appreciated. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Get her a US passport - she'll need one eventually when you move south. You can do it at the same time as CRBA - just needs you to complete the DS-11 passport application too - very little extra effort required than for CRBA.

~~moved to CRBA from K1 process and procedures~~

You need the CRBA to get the passport. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

1 hour ago, Mrsjackson said:

Hello, 

I'm the Canadian fiancé of a US citizen. We filed the I-129F back in September. We have a baby together so therefore not a K2 situation and I'm wondering if we should apply for a US passport for her or just file a CRBA? CRBA seems easier (maybe not?). Any information is much appreciated. 

How will you get a US passport for the child without CRBA? 

1 hour ago, Mrsjackson said:

Hello, 

Is it child out of wedlock? If so there is no way you can get a passport without applying for CRBA imho

Timeline
1 hour ago, Lenchick said:

Is it child out of wedlock? If so there is no way you can get a passport without applying for CRBA imho

If you need a CRBA to get a US passport then I won't be getting one. I don't know how it works hence the question so if you're saying I need a CRBA to get a passport then that's that. I read online that a CRBA wasn't necessary and that it was better to apply for a US passport which gave me the impression it was either/or but maybe that was misinformation.

2 minutes ago, Mrsjackson said:

If you need a CRBA to get a US passport then I won't be getting one. I don't know how it works hence the question so if you're saying I need a CRBA to get a passport then that's that. I read online that a CRBA wasn't necessary and that it was better to apply for a US passport which gave me the impression it was either/or but maybe that was misinformation.

No you need proof that the child is a USC.  A CRBA is what you need and the child NEEDS it.  If you end up crossing over by land then all you will need is the CRBA for the child to enter the USA.  Otherwise you have no proof the child is a USC.  You don't actually need a passport for her if you don't fly. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
38 minutes ago, NikLR said:

No you need proof that the child is a USC.  A CRBA is what you need and the child NEEDS it.  If you end up crossing over by land then all you will need is the CRBA for the child to enter the USA.  Otherwise you have no proof the child is a USC.  You don't actually need a passport for her if you don't fly. 

So coming from Canada I'll of course be crossing by land. So when I have an approved K1 visa in hand and travel to the US all I need to do for her is present the CRBA, correct? 

40 minutes ago, Mrsjackson said:

So coming from Canada I'll of course be crossing by land. So when I have an approved K1 visa in hand and travel to the US all I need to do for her is present the CRBA, correct? 

Yup proves she is a usc just like a birth certificate would. I would also have your fiance with you or a letter from him stating it is okay for the child to be crossing to the usa.  I know its odd but travel consent letters are a thing when you travel alone with your child.  

Timeline
3 hours ago, NikLR said:

Yup proves she is a usc just like a birth certificate would. I would also have your fiance with you or a letter from him stating it is okay for the child to be crossing to the usa.  I know its odd but travel consent letters are a thing when you travel alone with your child.  

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Mrsjackson said:

Usually it works that way. You get first a birth certificate from the country of birth where the US father is also specified, then  the parents with the child go all together to the US embassy in Canada. You need to apply for CRBA asap after the childbirth.  There you will need to fill out some more papers. The father will need to present proofs that he has resided in the states for at least five years, two years of which afer 14. I suppose you can apply straight away for the CRBA and a passport. Call to the embassy and ask them what you need in the given situation. Don't forget to let them know that the child was born out of wedlock. Here is some info 

https://ca.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/child-family-matters/birth/transmit-citizenship/

Filed: Timeline
19 hours ago, NikLR said:

US citizens need a passport to enter the US, even from Canada and Mexico.  The days of being able to just use birth certificates ended more than five years ago.

You do not have to apply for a CRBA; you can just apply for the passport.  However, you will likely have to complete the CRBA forms or their equivalent anyway, as they need the information regarding physical presence and support and that's the easiest way to gather the information.  You may want to reconsider, though, and get both.  The CRBA, while not actually a birth certificate (merely a document that shows acquisition of US citizenship at birth), can usually be used in the US for things that require a birth certificate -- easier to present a one-page CRBA that never expIres than a passport for things like school enrollment,  driver's licenses, etc.

Crossing by land has different rules. 

Children: U.S. citizen children ages 15 and under arriving by land or sea from a contiguous territory (Canada or Mexico) may present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born), a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Naturalization Certificate. If the child is a newborn and the actual birth certificate has not arrived from the Vital Records Department, we will accept a Hospital issued birth certificate.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3618/kw/travel

Regulations for a US passport requires proof of citizenship.  A canadian birth certificate wont suffice. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
6 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Crossing by land has different rules. 

Children: U.S. citizen children ages 15 and under arriving by land or sea from a contiguous territory (Canada or Mexico) may present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born), a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Naturalization Certificate. If the child is a newborn and the actual birth certificate has not arrived from the Vital Records Department, we will accept a Hospital issued birth certificate.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3618/kw/travel

That's right we just use the two little ones birth certificate to cross. We have crossed every year for the last 6 years this way. Daughter is 6 :) 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.