5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone! I got here on a k1 visa and applied for the removal of my "conditional status" on my green card last year December 2016. They received my application on January 4, 2017, and sent me a schedule for my biometrics. I did it on March 3, 2017, and until now I am waiting for my green card. My husband and I are hoping that I could submit my application to be a citizen this month since I will be a resident here in the US for 3 years next year in February 2018. 

One of the requirements to apply for a citizenship is the copy of the green card. Since I am still waiting for my new green card to arrive, I am wondering if I could use my old one? I read some posts that some people use their expired or old green card to apply for a citizenship. I am not sure if I could use mine since it's the conditional green card. 

I called USCIS but of course, their answers are pretty general and was not helpful at all. She told me that they are only processing October 2016 applications.

20 minutes ago, froyo said:

Hi everyone! I got here on a k1 visa and applied for the removal of my "conditional status" on my green card last year December 2016. They received my application on January 4, 2017, and sent me a schedule for my biometrics. I did it on March 3, 2017, and until now I am waiting for my green card. My husband and I are hoping that I could submit my application to be a citizen this month since I will be a resident here in the US for 3 years next year in February 2018. 

One of the requirements to apply for a citizenship is the copy of the green card. Since I am still waiting for my new green card to arrive, I am wondering if I could use my old one? I read some posts that some people use their expired or old green card to apply for a citizenship. I am not sure if I could use mine since it's the conditional green card. 

I called USCIS but of course, their answers are pretty general and was not helpful at all. She told me that they are only processing October 2016 applications.

yes you can use the old one.. I sent my expired GC and had no problems

Edited by viajero

Timeline
On 11/11/2017 at 10:43 AM, viajero said:

yes you can use the old one.. I sent my expired GC and had no problems

Hi Viajero! Thank you for your response. So even though my old green card is under the conditional category (because of k1), that is okay? Just wanted to make sure :) The lady on the phone said if USCIS denies my application because of that, I will have to pay the fee again -- and I definitely do not want that to happen.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
5 minutes ago, froyo said:

Hi Viajero! Thank you for your response. So even though my old green card is under the conditional category (because of k1), that is okay? Just wanted to make sure :) The lady on the phone said if USCIS denies my application because of that, I will have to pay the fee again -- and I definitely do not want that to happen.

you should also send in a copy of the one year extension letter you received for your ROC - and also expect a joint interview for both ROC and N-400 - it seems to be the trend - in this case it would be indicated that your husband accompanies you to the interview - they may not allow him in but it will help....

• sending I130 05/16/2007
  • cheque is cashed on 06/11/2007
  • NOA1 in mail 06/13/2007 (who said 13 is badluck )
  • 07/30/2007 After no touches and no other signs we just got an email with the APPROVAL of I130....Thank God !....now what ?

• 08/07/2007 Case received by NVC and case number assigned :))

• 08/13/2007 DS3032 and AOS bill were generated

• 08/14/2007 Emailed choice of agent ...i'm so curious when they will accept it...hopefully soon

• 08/21/2007 DS3032 and AOS fee bill arive in mail

• 08/27/2007 paid AOS fee bill
  • 8/28/2007 DS3032 choice of agent accepted
  • 9/3/2007 IV fee bill generated

Timeline
2 hours ago, candybabe said:

you should also send in a copy of the one year extension letter you received for your ROC - and also expect a joint interview for both ROC and N-400 - it seems to be the trend - in this case it would be indicated that your husband accompanies you to the interview - they may not allow him in but it will help....

Thank you for the helpful information!! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.