8 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I am curious about the 2-year proof requirement for 129F. My boyfriend is in the Philippines and we barely just started our relationship. We've known each other since high school, more than 10 years ago. I visit the homeland every year since 2013 and we hang out every year as friends. We will be seeing each other in a month for a one-week vacation outside the country. 

We are already planning to settle down and I'm planning to take him here in the US by next year. My question is, do we still need to wait for 2 years before filing k-1 or it's okay not to since we've known each other for years? 

Thanks in advance!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
5 minutes ago, natally said:

Hey guys,

I am curious about the 2-year proof requirement for 129F. My boyfriend is in the Philippines and we barely just started our relationship. We've known each other since high school, more than 10 years ago. I visit the homeland every year since 2013 and we hang out every year as friends. We will be seeing each other in a month for a one-week vacation outside the country. 

We are already planning to settle down and I'm planning to take him here in the US by next year. My question is, do we still need to wait for 2 years before filing k-1 or it's okay not to since we've known each other for years? 

Thanks in advance!

How long have you been in a relationship?

--- Beneficiary---

NOA1: 24 May 2017

No RFEs
NOA2: 09 September 2017
K1 received : 23 March 2018 :D

Next Step: Flight booked for 15 April 2018 - POE Washington Dulles

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

You do not need to have known each other or have been in a relationship for 2 years to be able to file a K-1 visa. The 1 year requirement refers to having met each other in person within the past 2 years. If you have spent time in person with him at some point within the past 2 years, you are able to apply. 

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

11 minutes ago, natally said:

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance!

Are you in a relationship?  Are you going to marry?  This sounds like you are just friends and you are simply trying to get him into the states. 

The rule is that you have to have met within two years of filing.  Sounds like you have that covered.  Make sure you have pictures together to prove the relationship.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

1 minute ago, John & Rose said:

Are you in a relationship?  Are you going to marry?  This sounds like you are just friends and you are simply trying to get him into the states. 

The rule is that you have to have met within two years of filing.  Sounds like you have that covered.  Make sure you have pictures together to prove the relationship.

Yes, we are in a relationship and plan to get married soon. We've been seeing each other every year whenever I go home and visit since 2013, we just don't have any pictures together. Last May of this year, I booked him a hotel under his name though, I don't know if I can use that as one of the proof. 

But we'll be traveling next month and for sure will have tons of picture. I will be going home again next year around March to see him. I'm just not sure if these are enough proof  if I want to file later next year (Sept/Oct 2018).

Just now, natally said:

Yes, we are in a relationship and plan to get married soon. We've been seeing each other every year whenever I go home and visit since 2013, we just don't have any pictures together. Last May of this year, I booked him a hotel under his name though, I don't know if I can use that as one of the proof. 

But we'll be traveling next month and for sure will have tons of picture. I will be going home again next year around March to see him. I'm just not sure if these are enough proof  if I want to file later next year (Sept/Oct 2018).

Hotel receipts just means he was in a hotel.  You need to find some pictures together that establishes the relationship.  Proof he was there was not proof you were together.  I say take the pictures next month and file right away.  The wait is tough and no one knows what next year will be right.  For the petition you only need to show proof that you've meet in the last two years.  You will need better proof for the interview and AOS process.  I was told that 10 to 15 photos together preferably some with family is adequate for the petition.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

4 hours ago, John & Rose said:

Hotel receipts just means he was in a hotel.  You need to find some pictures together that establishes the relationship.  Proof he was there was not proof you were together.  I say take the pictures next month and file right away.  The wait is tough and no one knows what next year will be right.  For the petition you only need to show proof that you've meet in the last two years.  You will need better proof for the interview and AOS process.  I was told that 10 to 15 photos together preferably some with family is adequate for the petition.

thanks a bunch!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.