Jump to content
JP87

Spouse Visa i-130 Newbie

9 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Good evening everyone,

Let me start off by saying thank you for helping me in this process. I apologize if my situation has been answered before in the forum. I went through 10 pages of the forum before deciding to post my own situation and hope for the best. 

 

First off, I am an American citizen who is getting married in Japan in 2 weeks. My fiance/future wife is of course Japanese. I am currently living and working in Japan, but we plan to return to USA after my company training has been completed. Due to the time constraints of getting an approved visa before my departure to America, I have begun doing research into the paper work and starting the processes that need to be filed. 

 

I have a few questions. (I am basically worried about leaving items on the form blank.....my  computer form will not let me write / or - in many of the form locations)

1. I have read that the USCIS will not mail documents overseas or call overseas. Do I need to have my parents mail the documents for me in America? Would this become a problem because my last physical address on the i-130 form would be in Japan? Or would the mailing address correct this problem? Should the mailing address have my parent's name or my own name? Should my name be on the outer envelop that is being sent? Should I have in my cover letter the contact information for my father so he can contact me about what happens?

2. For spouses, do I need to hand write N/A for spouse number 2 or can I live it blank? Similarly, children under the beneficiary section, can I leave it blank or hand write N/A for person 2, person 3, person 4, and person 5.

3. My fiance/future wife and her parents do not have a middle names. Do I need to leave this blank or hand write N/A? I thought of typing none but I thought someone may think it was their actual middle names.

4. For the are you a lawful permanent resident, do I hand write N/A or leave the section blank? 

5. Can I assume in the address portion that province would mean prefecture for japan? They have prefectures, cities, and sectors for their addresses. 

6. For beneficiaries entry information, if my fiance/future wife has never been in america.... do I need to hand write N/A for questions 47-50 or do I leave it blank?

7. For part 4 number 61 and 62, I am completely lost. Should I just fill in 62 because we live in Japan and the closest US embassy is Tokyo? If yes, do I leave number 61 blank since she doesn't live in USA yet?

 

Thanks again for advice. I apologize for any stupid questions I asked here. Also, if you have any recommendations for filing spouse visa's and problems that arose from not doing something please let me know. I have 1 year to get the paper work together and finalized before I leave Japan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, JP87 said:

Good evening everyone,

Let me start off by saying thank you for helping me in this process. I apologize if my situation has been answered before in the forum. I went through 10 pages of the forum before deciding to post my own situation and hope for the best. 

 

First off, I am an American citizen who is getting married in Japan in 2 weeks. My fiance/future wife is of course Japanese. I am currently living and working in Japan, but we plan to return to USA after my company training has been completed. Due to the time constraints of getting an approved visa before my departure to America, I have begun doing research into the paper work and starting the processes that need to be filed. 

 

I have a few questions. (I am basically worried about leaving items on the form blank.....my  computer form will not let me write / or - in many of the form locations)

1. I have read that the USCIS will not mail documents overseas or call overseas. Do I need to have my parents mail the documents for me in America? Would this become a problem because my last physical address on the i-130 form would be in Japan? Or would the mailing address correct this problem? Should the mailing address have my parent's name or my own name? Should my name be on the outer envelop that is being sent? Should I have in my cover letter the contact information for my father so he can contact me about what happens?

2. For spouses, do I need to hand write N/A for spouse number 2 or can I live it blank? Similarly, children under the beneficiary section, can I leave it blank or hand write N/A for person 2, person 3, person 4, and person 5.

3. My fiance/future wife and her parents do not have a middle names. Do I need to leave this blank or hand write N/A? I thought of typing none but I thought someone may think it was their actual middle names.

4. For the are you a lawful permanent resident, do I hand write N/A or leave the section blank? 

5. Can I assume in the address portion that province would mean prefecture for japan? They have prefectures, cities, and sectors for their addresses. 

6. For beneficiaries entry information, if my fiance/future wife has never been in america.... do I need to hand write N/A for questions 47-50 or do I leave it blank?

7. For part 4 number 61 and 62, I am completely lost. Should I just fill in 62 because we live in Japan and the closest US embassy is Tokyo? If yes, do I leave number 61 blank since she doesn't live in USA yet?

 

Thanks again for advice. I apologize for any stupid questions I asked here. Also, if you have any recommendations for filing spouse visa's and problems that arose from not doing something please let me know. I have 1 year to get the paper work together and finalized before I leave Japan. 

1) Yes they send mail overseas.  It just takes a while to get it.  However, if your mail does not reach you they will require you to put a US address since they will not change a foreign one.  It doesn't matter who's name is on the envelope.  It is thrown away.  They will not call you.  If you have an issue, you will call them. 

 

Read the questions fully.  Interpret literally.  Answer accurately.

 

Example your number 6.  "IF the beneficiary is CURRENTLY in the UNITED STATES, complete these questions."  If your wife is NOT in the USA you do not complete those questions!  So you leave them... blank.   You do not need to answer a question with N/A since they are telling you to only fill out those answers IF something is THIS way. 

 

If you follow that guideline, that would tell you how to answer for your 7.

 

The only place for YOU that I would say to put NA would be PART4 Q25a-28. (leaving #27 blank)  Because it doesn't say "if any" for the children.  You do not need to answer for the other questions since you've already stated in the first section that she has no children.

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, NikLR said:

The only place for YOU that I would say to put NA would be PART4 Q25a-28. (leaving #27 blank)  Because it doesn't say "if any" for the children.  You do not need to answer for the other questions since you've already stated in the first section that she has no children.

I would need to put myself in as Part 4 Q25-28 and then Person 2 I would do this correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is not a good idea to print two-sided.  They are going to build a file fastened at the top, not sides so they really don't like having to stand on their heads to read the back sides of pages.  ^_^


Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pushbrk said:

It is not a good idea to print two-sided.  They are going to build a file fastened at the top, not sides so they really don't like having to stand on their heads to read the back sides of pages.  ^_^

I was thinking of printing it so it was turn page style but considering they will clamp on the top I fully understand your meaning. Thank you for your explaination. I was thinking of cost reduction for shipment and less papers being sent.

 

Another question. 

How do I explain the lack of information for dates on some of the information? For instance, I worked at _______ from May 2008 to June 2010. I have no way of knowing what the actual start and end day were. I tried contacting the company but they have no information for me. It was a small part time job when I was in college. Another example, I used to live in the basement apartment back in college, but the person I rented from moved and I have no contact information for them. What can I do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, JP87 said:

Also, when submitting the documentation. Do I need to provide both the back and front side of the birth certificate even though the backside is blank?

On your cover letter, simply refer to the document as being one-sided.

 


Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×