TomLena

Driving Priviliges while AOS is pending

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

We're within days from submitting the AOS (and EAD) applications and have a question in regards to driving priviliges during this period of time.

Is her status from the day we submit the AOS app considered to be 'immigrant' or 'non-immigrant'? I understand that the actual status is called something like "Stay authorized by...." but just aren't sure when the 'switch gets flipped' or how that affects the rules for driving in Florida.

Lena has a legal driver's license issued from Russia that is valid until 2003. We've heard something about an 'International Driver's License' that she can obtain to drive here in the states that Florida will allow to be used for up to 1 year... but the document that we read is in Russian and the way it is formatted, it appears that this text may be applying to 'Non-Immigrant Status' persons only. The only think we know for certain about this topic is that the Florida DMV will not issue a driver's license to Lena if there are less than 30 days left on her K1 visa, and it would expire anyway when her visa expires, and that we would need an EAD in our hands to get a new one issued for her. So how does it work with the International license? Can someone give us the run-down, especially where Florida is concerned?

Thanks in advance!

ticker.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
We're within days from submitting the AOS (and EAD) applications and have a question in regards to driving priviliges during this period of time.

Is her status from the day we submit the AOS app considered to be 'immigrant' or 'non-immigrant'? I understand that the actual status is called something like "Stay authorized by...." but just aren't sure when the 'switch gets flipped' or how that affects the rules for driving in Florida.

Lena has a legal driver's license issued from Russia that is valid until 2003. We've heard something about an 'International Driver's License' that she can obtain to drive here in the states that Florida will allow to be used for up to 1 year... but the document that we read is in Russian and the way it is formatted, it appears that this text may be applying to 'Non-Immigrant Status' persons only. The only think we know for certain about this topic is that the Florida DMV will not issue a driver's license to Lena if there are less than 30 days left on her K1 visa, and it would expire anyway when her visa expires, and that we would need an EAD in our hands to get a new one issued for her. So how does it work with the International license? Can someone give us the run-down, especially where Florida is concerned?

Thanks in advance!

My husband went with his NOA's for the I-485, I-765, and I-130 and they gave him his - this was the DMV on Starkey Road in Largo (Pinellas County). This isn't typical for Florida.

If you try this and they say no, you'll have to wait for the EAD.

As far as the international license, I'm not well versed on it. I've heard it's good for up to a year, but you said it expires in 2003...?

Edited by meow mix

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

We were told we needed to bring in our NOA1 for I-485 for them to issue a drivers license or state ID. When we brought that in they issued my wife hers.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Filed: Timeline

Here's a link for you. http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/ddl/faqkeys.html#NUSC

The office I went to required the original I-485 receipt notice, an original marriage certificate for the name change, and my passport.

A K1 beneficiary is still considered a non-immigrant after submitting the AOS.

Sorry, but I am unfamiliar with an international driver's license.

iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Here's a link for you. http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/ddl/faqkeys.html#NUSC

The office I went to required the original I-485 receipt notice, an original marriage certificate for the name change, and my passport.

A K1 beneficiary is still considered a non-immigrant after submitting the AOS.

Sorry, but I am unfamiliar with an international driver's license.

Can you tell me which office you went to ? Thank you.

0.14..MY%20TIMELINE.png

06/05/01 - Entered the U.S. on a B2 Visa with parents (17 years old at the time)

01/05/07 - Got married

04/04/07 - AOS package mailed :)

04/08/07 - On Easter Sunday - Package received DAY 1

04/17/07 - NOA1 Received. (Dated 04/13/2007) DAY 10

04/18/07 - Touched DAY 11

04/19/07 - Touched AGAIN DAY 12

04/20/07 - Biometrics appt notice received (05-02-07) DAY 13

04/27/07 - I-130 Touched DAY 20

05/02/07 - Biometrics (Took us 8 minutes - no kidding) DAY 25

05/03/07 - I-485 Touched DAY 26

05/17/07 - Interview letter arrived (07-17-07) DAY 41

07/17/07 - Interview - Everything went well but received an RFE DAY 102

08/28/07 - RFE sent - Took a long time to get what they needed DAY 144

08/29/07 - RFE received - DAY 145

10/04/07 - Email: Notice welcoming new resident mailed - DAY 180

10/05/07 - Touched - DAY 181

10/09/07 - Welcome Notice received. - DAY 185

10/10/07 - Card production ordered. - DAY 186

10/17/07 - Green card received !!!!!!!! - Day 193

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

International driver's permits are only good for allowing the USC to drive in a foreign country, at least that's what my husband was told. The DMV office we went to here in GA told him to apply for one. :blink: because his I-94 was about to expire and he could NOT obtain a driver's permit until he either had the GC or his EAD. They would NOT let him use the NOA1 from our AOS application either. We went back once he had his EAD in hand.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

For those who received a drivers license, was it a temporary paper license or did they send out a regular license? My husband still hasn't received anything but a temporary paper license and we were wondering if this is usual.

May 8, 2006 - sent 129F

May 9, 2006 - USCIS rec'd 129F

May 19, 2006 - NOA1 rec'd in mail

June 29, 2006 - Received & sent IMBRA RFE

June 30, 2006 - RFE delivered at CSC at 7:46am signed by J Arnett

July 24, 2006 - NOA2 Approved!!!!!!!

July 28, 2006 - Petition received at NVC

August 1, 2006 - Petition leaves NVC

August 15, 2006 - sent packet 3

August 21, 2006 - Medical

August 30, 2006 - Rec'd packet 4

October 2, 2006 - INTERVIEW!!! APPROVED!!!

October 4, 2006 - Visa in hand!!!

October 7, 2006 - POE at JFK and got EAD stamp!

October 21, 2006 - Received Social Security card

October 28, 2006 - Married!!!!!!

AOS/EAD

November 10, 2006 - Sent off AOS/EAD

November 16, 2006 - NOA1 for AOS and EAD

December 2, 2006 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD

January 23, 2007 - Without any touches, we get letter for interview in March

January 26, 2007 - EAD card production ordered

January 29, 2007 - EAD touch - Approval Notice Sent

February 1, 2007 -received EAD card

February 8, 2007 - AOS touch

March 6, 2007 - AOS Interview - approved pending FBI checks

May 25, 2007 & May 29, 2007 - AOS touch- yay! it's been awhile

May 30, 2007 - email notice Welcoming New Permanent Resident

June 6, 2007 - Greencard in hand

REMOVING CONDITIONS

March 15, 2009 - Sent off I-751

April 10, 2009 - Biometrics

May 18, 2009 - APPROVAL LETTER RECEIVED!!! Without any online updates

Timeline
For those who received a drivers license, was it a temporary paper license or did they send out a regular license? My husband still hasn't received anything but a temporary paper license and we were wondering if this is usual.

It took them about 6 weeks to send out my husbands license. And it'll be temporary in that it expires in 1 year and says temporary on it. But he should get something other than the paper one in the mail. If its been longer than 4-6 weeks, I'd visit the DMV again.

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

Timeline
my wife wants to get a drivers license for Texas. Can we bring our NOA-1, fingerprint appointment, and Passport..Will those documents be sufficient??

You'd have to look at the TX DMV website and see what they say.

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
My husband went with his NOA's for the I-485, I-765, and I-130 and they gave him his - this was the DMV on Starkey Road in Largo (Pinellas County). This isn't typical for Florida.

If you try this and they say no, you'll have to wait for the EAD.

As far as the international license, I'm not well versed on it. I've heard it's good for up to a year, but you said it expires in 2003...?

Oops that was a typo. I meant to say 2013! :whistle: International Driver's License answer anyone?

ticker.png

FYI on the International Driver's License question...

1. An international driver's license must be obtained from your home country. This permit only verifies that you hold a valid license in your home country. It is your foreign driver's license that allows you to drive in the United States. Contact the authorities in your home country to get an international driving permit, as the United States does NOT issue international driver's licenses to foreign visitors.
  2. If you obtain a valid international driver's license from your country of origin before you come to the U.S., you may rent a car and drive before you get your U.S. driver's license.
  3. A U.S. driver's license is not a federal document, but it's a permit issued by one of the 50 states' motor vehicle departments. If you're going to reside in the U.S., it may take several months to obtain a U.S. driver's license.
  4. Foreign visitors who become U.S. residents can only obtain a driver's license from the state in which they reside. Each state has its own driving rules and regulations. Check with your state's motor vehicles department to find out how to apply.

Source

So basically it must be issued in the foreign country and is only for tourists.. They also caution about the fake ads/sellers on the link above. :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

THIS IS INTERESTING...because in St. Johns County, Florida, the DMV refused to honor my wife's Peruvian License. They said that since she is here on a K1 visa (AND NOT A TOURIST), they will not honor it. If she was a tourist she could drive all she wanted.....DUMB!!! Also, she had to reapply for a license (learners permit) paper issued, then received a Learners Permit 30 days later, which expires the day her K1 visa expires.

So I guess we're stuck starting the process over.as if she was a new driver. Anyone have any ideas about how insurance works for K1 spouses? Any problems with your insurance company about how they view drivers from other countries???

Thanks,

Oversearailway

Timeline
THIS IS INTERESTING...because in St. Johns County, Florida, the DMV refused to honor my wife's Peruvian License. They said that since she is here on a K1 visa (AND NOT A TOURIST), they will not honor it. If she was a tourist she could drive all she wanted.....DUMB!!! Also, she had to reapply for a license (learners permit) paper issued, then received a Learners Permit 30 days later, which expires the day her K1 visa expires.

So I guess we're stuck starting the process over.as if she was a new driver. Anyone have any ideas about how insurance works for K1 spouses? Any problems with your insurance company about how they view drivers from other countries???

Thanks,

Oversearailway

I've read that your driving record basically starts all over in this country so they consider you a new driver and insure you as such.

My husband was already here when we met, so I don't have direct experience with this, it's just what I've heard. As far as the license issue, once you apply for adjustment of status, try to get a FL permit with the NOAs.

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.