RafaCBA

N-400 Questions

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Good Morning to all,

I am about to file FORM N-400 based on the 5 years rule  (all done by myself without attorneys or legal advice) and as expected (haha) I have a few questions that hopefully you  can help me clarify and for which im thankful in advance:

1- It is my understating that even after taking the oath of allegiance and  "absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen". there's nothing else required to maintain a dual citizenship  and by taking the oath I am not renouncing of your original citizenship???

2- I am currently divorced however, I have 2 kids living in different places (one abroad)  from 2 different Mothers (only one marriage/divorce -1 mother and child are both USCs the others are not)  even though I financially support them monthly (and I have the records to show it) My financial support has been agreed upon between their mothers and myself without courts orders of any kind and, they are not my direct dependents as their mothers claim them on their respective tax declaration, Do I still need to provide evidence of the financial support or not?

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!!!!

Edited by RafaCBA

34 minutes ago, RafaCBA said:

Good Morning to all,

I am about to file FORM N-400 based on the 5 years rule  (all done by myself without attorneys or legal advice) and as expected (haha) I have a few questions that hopefully you  can help me clarify and for which im thankful in advance:

1- It is my understating that even after taking the oath of allegiance and  "absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen". there's nothing else required to maintain a dual citizenship  and by taking the oath I am not renouncing of your original citizenship???

2- I am currently divorced however, I have 2 kids living in different places (one abroad)  from 2 different Mothers (only one marriage/divorce -1 mother and child are both USCs the others are not)  even though I financially support them monthly (and I have the records to show it) My financial support has been agreed upon between their mothers and myself without courts orders of any kind and, they are not my direct dependents as their mothers claim them on their respective tax declaration, Do I still need to provide evidence of the financial support or not?

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!!!!

I can only help you with your first question. You need to find out whether your homecountry allowes dual citizenship and if so what requirements you might need to meet to be allowed to keep your homecountry's citizenship when obtaining another. 

For example Germany "tends" to not allow dual citizenship. They completely forbit it until very recently and now if I was to obtain U.S. citizenship I would have to first file some kind of permission to be able to keep my German one (would have to prove that I still have strong ties to Germany and present a strong case why I would benefit from gaining U.S. citizenship and therefore "need" to get another citizenship...e.g. better job chances bc I want to work for jobs that require U.S. citizenship....stuff like that). 

A lot of countries don't make it a hassle to be a dual citizen though, so chances are that you are fine by just obtaining the U.S. citizenship without losing your homecountry's.

Edited by Californiansunset

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Californiansunset said:

I can only help you with your first question. You need to find out whether your homecountry allowes dual citizenship and if so what requirements you might need to meet to be allowed to keep your homecountry's citizenship when obtaining another. 

For example Germany "tends" to not allow dual citizenship. They completely forbit it until very recently and now if I was to obtain U.S. citizenship I would have to first file some kind of permission to be able to keep my German one (would have to prove that I still have strong ties to Germany and present a strong case why I would benefit from gaining U.S. citizenship and therefore "need" to get another citizenship...e.g. better job chances bc I want to work for jobs that require U.S. citizenship....stuff like that). 

A lot of countries don't make it a hassle to be a dual citizen though, so chances are that you are fine by just obtaining the U.S. citizenship without losing your homecountry's.

thank you so much for your prompt response fortunately my home country allows dual citizenship (for now)  good luck with your process.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
3 minutes ago, RafaCBA said:

thank you so much for your prompt response fortunately my home country allows dual citizenship (for now).

It's worth reading through the wikipedia article on multiple citizenship - without knowing what your home country is, there may still be issues - it may allow dual citizenship, but still recognise the oath of allegiance as a renunciation of your current citizenship.

Timeline

broody, thank you so much for your response,   just did a quick research and found out that as a Venezuelan citizen I'm good to go, I just need to have a valid  Venezuelan passport whenever I decide to go back and visit it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

yes for the second one, you will list them on the form and at the interview the officer will request the proof that you are providing child support

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
30 minutes ago, RafaCBA said:

gracias Ale! but I don't have to send them now with my initial paperwork right? (N-400)

Correct - you only need to submit copies of the required documents (green card and marital status) with your initial submission - evidence of child support is only required at the interview.

(PS, I love broody! So much more appropriate than my actual username).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.