JJ89

K1 visa (section on how my partner and I met)

11 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, 

I'm finishing up my k1 visa in order to bring my partner to the USA and get married. I was finishing up my note on how my partner and I met. Can anyone give me insight on it. Does it seem to short? Do I need more detail? Thank you for much! 

In 2017 I was in Medellin Colombia. I decided to go out on May 10th, 2017, to eat at a Mexican restaurant in Bello, Colombia. Bello, Colombia is around 20 minute on Subway from Medellin, Colombia. I went in the afternoon, around 12:00 p.m., but they did not open until 5:00 p.m.. I then decided to go to a restaurant next door to it since I was not willing to wait around five hours for food. When arriving at the restaurant next door, I was waited on by my current fiance. Her personality was very interesting, and her appearance delighted me. That same day, I asked her for her phone number. Later that week, I called her and asked her out on a date. Our first date was out to a sector in Medellin called El Poblado. We went to go and eat Empanadas, had a drink, and spoke about each other for most of the night. On May 20th 2017, we entered into a relationship. Our time together in Colombia, was some of the best moments that both of us had in our lives. When it came, August, my tourist Visa was going to expire, and I had to leave Colombia. My partner and I decided that we would go to Oaxaca Mexico to live, since I had family there. I returned to New York for about a month as I wanted to visit my family. Come August, I left for Mexico from New York, and she left the same day from Colombia. Unfortunately, she was not let into Mexico since Mexican Immigration said that she needed a notarized letter of invitation in order to enter Mexico. She had to return back to Colombia, and I returned back to New York. We then decided that being apart was too difficult, and two week later, we decided that we would go and live in Quito, Ecuador together. We did not choose to live in Colombia together, since I am not allowed to enter as a tourist again until 2018, as I used up my allotted tourist allowance. Up until now, we are living here in Quito, Ecuador together.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

In my opinion that is way too long and detailed for how we met..  It does sound like a good narrative in terms of front loading the application to show proof of real relationship to make her interview easier when it comes time.   So what I would suggest is that the narrative you have written simplify it to something like this...

While on a tourist visa in Columbia in May of 2017 I had the pleasure of meeting my Fiancee when I went to the ___________ restaurant where she was my server.. Our relationship developed and continues to develop today.  I have included pictures and documents of how our relationship has developed on matured on the following pages. 

You would then provide whatever pictures, receipts passport stamps etc. that support the narrative that you have written... Good luck in your continued journey and God Bless.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Way too long. It should just be a sentence or two. 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Agree with others. Keep it short but strong. 

K-1 (I-129F):

15-Jul-2016- I-129F filed

17-Mar-2017- Interview

19-APR-2017- K-1 Visa Approved

Adjustment of Status (I-485 & I-765):

07-AUG-2017- Date filed

14-AUG-2017- NOA1

04-MAY-2018- AOS interview/Approved

Lifting Conditions (I-751):

01-May-2020- Date filed

04-May-2020- NOA1

16-Sep-2021- Approved/No interview

Naturalization (N-400):

23-Feb-2023: Filed online

23-Feb-2023: NOA1

15-Mar-2023: Biometrics

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Keep it simple and straightforward. Think of it this way. Do you really want all those details be asked to your fiance during the K1 interview AND when you do your AOS? Ours were just 3 sentences long. 

Current timeline:

July 2019 - filed I-751

August 2020 - filed N400

Sept. 2020 - i-751 status "Case Was Transferred to a New Office". Transferred to NBC.

April 12, 2021 - N400 interview in LA passed (with a pending i-751)

May 20, 2021 - I-751 status changed to Approved and N400 status changed to Oath Will Be Scheduled. 🤩

May 21, 2021 - received a call and email from USCIS Los Angeles with my NOA with my oath schedule.

May 28, 2021 - oath taking schedule in USCIS DTLA office. 😍

7 hours ago, JE57 said:

In my opinion that is way too long and detailed for how we met..  It does sound like a good narrative in terms of front loading the application to show proof of real relationship to make her interview easier when it comes time.   So what I would suggest is that the narrative you have written simplify it to something like this...

While on a tourist visa in Columbia in May of 2017 I had the pleasure of meeting my Fiancee when I went to the ___________ restaurant where she was my server.. Our relationship developed and continues to develop today.  I have included pictures and documents of how our relationship has developed on matured on the following pages. 

You would then provide whatever pictures, receipts passport stamps etc. that support the narrative that you have written... Good luck in your continued journey and God Bless.

Very good response. I appreciate your advice and everyone else  very much! Thank you all.  I will update it and post my update here. If you all could give me feedback I would very much appreciate it. Thank you once again. 

Hi everyone, 

Does this seems like a better write up? Thank you.

While on a tourist visa in Colombia in May of 2017 I had the pleasure of meeting my Fiancee when I went to the Ruta 55 Restobar restaurant, in Bello, Antioquia, where she was my server. Our relationship developed and continues to develop today. We are currently living together in Quito, Ecuador. In the attached pages, you can find documents supporting our past and current relationship.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Much better, sounds good. 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Question 53/54? It says describe the circumstances of your in-person meeting. 

I gave a short direct answer describing the circumstances of our meeting. 

I do have a Statement Of How We Met, which describe in details (not too much)  how we met, the length of time we’ve know each other and make mention of each of the time we met. To that I attach all of the evidence of in-person meeting. I make sure to connect this to i129f by referencing it on that form.

20 hours ago, jcon91 said:

Hi everyone, 

I'm finishing up my k1 visa in order to bring my partner to the USA and get married. I was finishing up my note on how my partner and I met. Can anyone give me insight on it. Does it seem to short? Do I need more detail? Thank you for much! 

In 2017 I was in Medellin Colombia. I decided to go out on May 10th, 2017, to eat at a Mexican restaurant in Bello, Colombia. Bello, Colombia is around 20 minute on Subway from Medellin, Colombia. I went in the afternoon, around 12:00 p.m., but they did not open until 5:00 p.m.. I then decided to go to a restaurant next door to it since I was not willing to wait around five hours for food. When arriving at the restaurant next door, I was waited on by my current fiance. Her personality was very interesting, and her appearance delighted me. That same day, I asked her for her phone number. Later that week, I called her and asked her out on a date. Our first date was out to a sector in Medellin called El Poblado. We went to go and eat Empanadas, had a drink, and spoke about each other for most of the night. On May 20th 2017, we entered into a relationship. Our time together in Colombia, was some of the best moments that both of us had in our lives. When it came, August, my tourist Visa was going to expire, and I had to leave Colombia. My partner and I decided that we would go to Oaxaca Mexico to live, since I had family there. I returned to New York for about a month as I wanted to visit my family. Come August, I left for Mexico from New York, and she left the same day from Colombia. Unfortunately, she was not let into Mexico since Mexican Immigration said that she needed a notarized letter of invitation in order to enter Mexico. She had to return back to Colombia, and I returned back to New York. We then decided that being apart was too difficult, and two week later, we decided that we would go and live in Quito, Ecuador together. We did not choose to live in Colombia together, since I am not allowed to enter as a tourist again until 2018, as I used up my allotted tourist allowance. Up until now, we are living here in Quito, Ecuador together.

I met xxxxx xxxxx in Bello Colombia when I was there on vacation.  I met him for the first time on xx/xx/xxxx .

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 10/21/2017 at 12:42 AM, jcon91 said:

Hi everyone, 

Does this seems like a better write up? Thank you.

While on a tourist visa in Colombia in May of 2017 I had the pleasure of meeting my Fiancee when I went to the Ruta 55 Restobar restaurant, in Bello, Antioquia, where she was my server. Our relationship developed and continues to develop today. We are currently living together in Quito, Ecuador. In the attached pages, you can find documents supporting our past and current relationship.

Suggest since you are currently living together that when you put this together (the following pages) that you do so together and copy everything you send in.  Done well this gives you a nice momento as well and when my current current wife and I did the same thing we enjoyed very much reflecting on the memories.  If you have more than a few pages you could write a cover letter for that section with an index to each page and a couple words about what each of those pages represents.   All of this is probably over-kill since you live together in Ecuador.  But 'front loading' isn't going to hurt you and might make her interview much easier.

-

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.