hoopy507

support and visa ending

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

after my wife is in the states from china on a permanent residence visa if we divorce will i still have to support her after the ten years is up...or what happens when she reaches the ten year mark. What is the process after the ten years.

It doesn't stop at 10 years automatically. The I-864 remains in effect until she has 40 qualifying quarters of work (10 years)...that could be in 10 years or it could be longer if she doesn't work. Or until she loses LPR status, becomes a USC, or dies.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I assume when you say "support her", you really mean how long your Affadavit of Support (AOS) remains in effect.

If you get divorced, you are not obligated to support her beyond whatever the divorce court or settlement dictates. You are only obligated under the AOS if she receives aide from various applicable Federal aide programs, and only then if the Federal programs choose to pursue a claim against you under the AOS.  In this scenario, you would be paying the government back, not directly supporting her.

In very rare circumstances, beneficiaries have successfully sued petitioners directly for support based on AOS. But these cases are very very rare and probably not worth being worried about.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
On 10/7/2017 at 12:53 AM, Russ&Caro said:

I assume when you say "support her", you really mean how long your Affadavit of Support (AOS) remains in effect.

If you get divorced, you are not obligated to support her beyond whatever the divorce court or settlement dictates. You are only obligated under the AOS if she receives aide from various applicable Federal aide programs, and only then if the Federal programs choose to pursue a claim against you under the AOS.  In this scenario, you would be paying the government back, not directly supporting her.

In very rare circumstances, beneficiaries have successfully sued petitioners directly for support based on AOS. But these cases are very very rare and probably not worth being worried about.

The best response I've seen in a long time to the mythology surrounding the I-864. The I-864 does not, in itself, award ANYTHING. It is simply a financial statement and a contract with the Federal government concerning your ability to support ONE household to include the immigrant.

But it CAN be, and has been, waved around in court in order to leverage a claim for support from the sponsor. Should this happen, get a good lawyer who knows the ins and outs of immigration issues.

玉林,桂 resident
Feb 23, 2005 ........ Mailed I-129F to TSC . . . . . . . . .March 8th ............. P1 from CSC
April 11 ................. P2 from CSC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .April 25 ................ NVC sends packet to GUZ
June 22 ................ P3 received . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Nov 22 ................. PASSED Interview
Dec 2 ................... Made it! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 16 .................. Married
May 23, 2006 ..... TDL, EAD, AP received. . . . . . . . . June 16, 2006 ........ AOS interview - wait for FBI bkgrnd check
Apr 19, 2007 .... EAD # 2. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oct 7, 2008 ......... 10-year green card
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - K2 (son) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dec 2 ..................... AOS/EAD filed . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 17 ................... 21st birthday
Jan 4, 2007 .......... transferred to CSC . . . . . . . . . . . Feb 6, 2007 ............ transferred to MSC
Feb 23 .................... EAD card . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Apr 16 .................... AOS denied (over 21)
Jul 26 .................... Master Calendar hearing . . . . . . Nov 15 ...................... Removal hearing
Jan 29, 2008 ........ Voluntary departure

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.