DeeO

Greencard Application Denied, what to do next?

22 posts in this topic

I tried reading and understanding all previous posts before weighing in so please forgive me if I missed or misunderstood something. I believe the issue here is that your friend came here on a J1 visa. You cannot adjust from that status unless you have an approved waiver. There's a 2 year waiting period. Your friend needed to go back to home country for 2 years before applying for Green Card.

Read: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/study-exchange/student/residency-waiver.html

Waiver of the Exchange Visitor Two-Year Home-Country Physical Presence Requirement

Overview
Certain exchange visitors (J-1) are subject to a two-year home-country physical presence requirement which requires you to return to your home country for at least two years at the end of your exchange visitor program. This is also known as the foreign residence requirement under U.S. law, Immigration and Nationality Act, Section 212(e). If you are unable to return to your home country to fulfill the two-year requirement, you must obtain a waiver approved by the Department of Homeland Security prior to changing status in the United States or being issued a visa in certain categories for travel to the United States.

Edited by Private One
Edited to cite info and add link

AOS (I-485) - Vermont Service Center | NYC Field Office

March.....17, 2014..........Package Mailed

March.....20, 2014..........Package Received

April........25, 2014..........Biometrics Taken

June.........7, 2014..........Received EAD (mailbox)

June.......10, 2014..........Interview at Federal Plaza, NYC (hellish experience but approved on the spot)

June.......16, 2014..........Received GC (mailbox)

ROC (I-751) - Vermont Service Center | NYC Field Office

April.......23, 2016...........Package Mailed

April.......26, 2016...........Package Accepted (NOA Receipt Letter - Conditional Status Extended)

June......10, 2016...........Biometrics Taken

April.........8, 2017...........Conditions Lifted (Application Approved)

April......14, 2017............Approval Letter Received (USPS Stamp Dated April 11, 2017)

May.........1, 2017............Received 10 yr GC (mailbox)

Naturalization (N-400) - National Benefits Center | NYC Field Office (3 year Rule)

April....17, 2017.............Package Mailed

April....19, 2017.............Package Received 

May.....19, 2017.............Biometrics Taken

May.....26, 2017.............In Line for Interview

Sep.....12, 2017.............Interview at Federal Plaza (Recommended)

Sep.....27, 2017.............Oath Ceremony (Federal Plaza) - My journey has ended. Will be starting the AOS process for my mom soon. Another chapter will be written.

US Passport & Card: 2017 Applicants
======================================
==================================================
UserName......|Expedited|Sent....|CheckCash|TrackDate|PASSPORT|PPT-CARD|NAT CERT|Location

Private One...|No.......|09/30/17|10/04/17.|10/04/17.|10/14/17|No......|10/13/17|New York, NY

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Private One said:

I tried reading and understanding all previous posts before weighing in so please forgive me if I missed or misunderstood something. I believe the issue here is that your friend came here on a J1 visa. You cannot adjust from that status unless you have an approved waiver. There's a 2 year waiting period. Your friend needed to go back to home country for 2 years before applying for Green Card.

Read: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/study-exchange/student/residency-waiver.html

Waiver of the Exchange Visitor Two-Year Home-Country Physical Presence Requirement

Overview
Certain exchange visitors (J-1) are subject to a two-year home-country physical presence requirement which requires you to return to your home country for at least two years at the end of your exchange visitor program. This is also known as the foreign residence requirement under U.S. law, Immigration and Nationality Act, Section 212(e). If you are unable to return to your home country to fulfill the two-year requirement, you must obtain a waiver approved by the Department of Homeland Security prior to changing status in the United States or being issued a visa in certain categories for travel to the United States.

It does not apply to anyone. For example I came to the States on J1 visa as well, I was an aupair for two years. I went back my home country right after my program was over and got a student visa and came back to the States within a month. If it says "two years rule does not apply" on your J1 visa, you can come back at any time. Even though if it says "two years rule apply" you can apply to remove it. I wish the issue was that but unfortunately her situation is more complicated than that. But, i do appreciate for your respond. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline
21 hours ago, f f said:

don't forget that if you got an ead or ap that both are now void. since they are only valid until they make a decision on the i485

I know but she never applied for an ead since she did not need to/want to work. But thanks for the info! 

14 minutes ago, Private One said:

Overview

No - the reasons for denial have already been stated over and over.

OP even stated that the denial letter said: 

"You indicated on your form I-485 that your last entry to the States was as a nonimmigrant visitor under the visa waiver program and you are not in a lawful nonimmigrant status. Therefore, you are restricted from adjustment of status and do not fall within the exception as an immadiate relative" 

K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

giphy.gif

17 minutes ago, Private One said:

Overview

ji not the problem.  

many already post problem.  wife of green card husband overstay can not file I-485.  only wife of US citizen overstay can file I-485

20 minutes ago, DeeO said:

It does not apply to anyone. For example I came to the States on J1 visa as well, I was an aupair for two years. I went back my home country right after my program was over and got a student visa and came back to the States within a month. If it says "two years rule does not apply" on your J1 visa, you can come back at any time. Even though if it says "two years rule apply" you can apply to remove it. I wish the issue was that but unfortunately her situation is more complicated than that. But, i do appreciate for your respond. 

Point taken

15 minutes ago, Suss&Camm said:

No - the reasons for denial have already been stated over and over.

OP even stated that the denial letter said: 

"You indicated on your form I-485 that your last entry to the States was as a nonimmigrant visitor under the visa waiver program and you are not in a lawful nonimmigrant status. Therefore, you are restricted from adjustment of status and do not fall within the exception as an immadiate relative" 

I read this but for some reason still thought it was tied to the J1. 

12 minutes ago, BuiQuang said:

ji not the problem.  

many already post problem.  wife of green card husband overstay can not file I-485.  only wife of US citizen overstay can file I-485

Here's my problem. I read a post a few months ago that involved a J1 visitor not being able to adjust because of the restriction. I formed an opinion about this situation before taking the time to really understand what's going on. 

My apologies guys

@DeeOGood luck to your friend.

AOS (I-485) - Vermont Service Center | NYC Field Office

March.....17, 2014..........Package Mailed

March.....20, 2014..........Package Received

April........25, 2014..........Biometrics Taken

June.........7, 2014..........Received EAD (mailbox)

June.......10, 2014..........Interview at Federal Plaza, NYC (hellish experience but approved on the spot)

June.......16, 2014..........Received GC (mailbox)

ROC (I-751) - Vermont Service Center | NYC Field Office

April.......23, 2016...........Package Mailed

April.......26, 2016...........Package Accepted (NOA Receipt Letter - Conditional Status Extended)

June......10, 2016...........Biometrics Taken

April.........8, 2017...........Conditions Lifted (Application Approved)

April......14, 2017............Approval Letter Received (USPS Stamp Dated April 11, 2017)

May.........1, 2017............Received 10 yr GC (mailbox)

Naturalization (N-400) - National Benefits Center | NYC Field Office (3 year Rule)

April....17, 2017.............Package Mailed

April....19, 2017.............Package Received 

May.....19, 2017.............Biometrics Taken

May.....26, 2017.............In Line for Interview

Sep.....12, 2017.............Interview at Federal Plaza (Recommended)

Sep.....27, 2017.............Oath Ceremony (Federal Plaza) - My journey has ended. Will be starting the AOS process for my mom soon. Another chapter will be written.

US Passport & Card: 2017 Applicants
======================================
==================================================
UserName......|Expedited|Sent....|CheckCash|TrackDate|PASSPORT|PPT-CARD|NAT CERT|Location

Private One...|No.......|09/30/17|10/04/17.|10/04/17.|10/14/17|No......|10/13/17|New York, NY

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.