alelny

K1 Help (US and VN)

7 posts in this topic

Hello.

I am new here and unsure if this is the right place to post (lol), but I've read several stories and topics and there are a few things I was wondering and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am a US citizen who is wanting to marry my Vietnamese fiance. 

I have known my fiance for almost 6 years (since 2011) and we met online. We started dating in 2015 and got engaged January 14 of this year.

I want to be well prepared, and will do whatever is necessary (even if it takes a long time) to make sure our K1 process goes smoothly. My fiance and I have only met in person once for a week. I was accompanied by my mother and sister to meet him and his family. I recently graduated from college in April, and currently still looking for employment. I am well aware that I need to make well above poverty line to be considered and so thus know it will take me time to file so that I am not denied for financial circumstances.

For those that have passed the interview, I was just curious if how many times you visit your fiance/fiancee plays a big role so that I understand if I need to return a few more times.

Also, we had an engagement party in VN, however, it was a bit more modern as in my fiance's family asked for agreement to the marriage and my mother agreed and we went to a restaurant as our 'engagement party' in formal attire. I have seen a lot of people having the traditional one though, and if that is better to do then we can plan to do so.

Sorry, I am just trying to wrap my head around everything and do things right before we do anything else.

Thank you.

Well you do have to meet in person at least once in last 2 years. For some embassies the more face time the better. The engagement party might or might not be an issue. Sometimes it's considered the couple to be too married for k1 and not married enough for cr1. Which means the k1 will be denied. But it doesn't always happen. 

If you don't make enough money you can have a co-sponsor. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Hi,

I have read forums and base from experience, both of you proving you have had enough time to know each other with the intention of marrying each other is a huge advantage. As long as you have met your Fiancee, you should be OK. If you have all the documents to proof that the relationship is real, then you shouldn't worry a thing.

One very crucial part of the government approving your petition though is to financially support your Fiancee. If you arent employed, then might as well start thinking of people who can sign the affidavit saying they will be responsible for both of you and your Fiancee. 

Hope that helps.

Have a good one!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, alelny said:

Hello.

I am new here and unsure if this is the right place to post (lol), but I've read several stories and topics and there are a few things I was wondering and any help would be greatly appreciated.

You have come to the right place.  There are many here that have already been down that road and they will help you.

I am a US citizen who is wanting to marry my Vietnamese fiance. 

Be sure to check out the Guides section and you can make this happen

I have known my fiance for almost 6 years (since 2011) and we met online. We started dating in 2015 and got engaged January 14 of this year.

Congratulations

I want to be well prepared, and will do whatever is necessary (even if it takes a long time) to make sure our K1 process goes smoothly. My fiance and I have only met in person once for a week. I was accompanied by my mother and sister to meet him and his family. I recently graduated from college in April, and currently still looking for employment. I am well aware that I need to make well above poverty line to be considered and so thus know it will take me time to file so that I am not denied for financial circumstances.

Keep good records of communication between the two of you.  Skype call screenshots, whatsapp logs, emails, etc.  Like was suggested above, a cosponsor is totally fine - perhaps your mother.

For those that have passed the interview, I was just curious if how many times you visit your fiance/fiancee plays a big role so that I understand if I need to return a few more times.

The more 'face time' the better, but the rules actually say 'Met in Person at least once in past 2 years'.

Also, we had an engagement party in VN, however, it was a bit more modern as in my fiance's family asked for agreement to the marriage and my mother agreed and we went to a restaurant as our 'engagement party' in formal attire. I have seen a lot of people having the traditional one though, and if that is better to do then we can plan to do so.

I'm not expert, but I have read that the VN embassy looks at observation of local customs as a prerequisite.  If the family modernized it a bit, I don't think that is a big deal - perhaps they were downsizing it a bit to accommodate your culture as well :) 

Sorry, I am just trying to wrap my head around everything and do things right before we do anything else.

I know these people below through VJ and have interacted with them enough to recommend you looking over their timelines, profiles and even messaging them for anything that is unique and ambiguous ......  

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=248441  Interviews in VN in 2 days

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=260862  Recent NOA2 approval

Finally, this timeline below is someone you should private message as she is very similar in your circumstance who has almost completed her journey - she great at helping and giving some good insight.      http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=243148

Thank you.                Best of luck to you

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

We filed the K1 after my first visit. The more times you visit the better, but I do not think it is a requirement. I would say it would be more important for you to be there for the interview than it is to make a 2nd trip back before the interview. You could get a co-sponsor I believe to help make the finances look better. Just make sure if you go down the co-sponsor route that they fill out the appropriate paperwork.

K-1 Journey

02/23/2017 - I-129F Package Sent via USPS

03/06/2017 - Received NOA1 Hard Copy

06/05/2017 - Received NOA2 Hard Copy

06/12/2017 - NVC Case # Assigned

06/23/2017 - Packet 3 Delivered

06/28/2017 - DS-160 Complete

7/10/2017 - Interview Scheduled for 08/08/2017

8/08/2017 - Interview passed! K-1 approved!

I met my then-fiancee only once before filing the I-129F and we had our engagement ceremony and reception a week after I flew back to meet her for the first time. I had known her for several months prior to visiting her and we met online. 

I had a steady job for 16+ yrs before I filed so I was more than able to meet the income requirement to sponsor her. I would advise that you have some sort of provable income or have a co-sponsor.

I hope you took a lot of pictures of the engagement reception to submit with the I-129F and the CO will want to see those, too.

Good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.