Help locating an old thread

59 posts in this topic

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
If you need any flooring advice, I'm here for ya!

Jackie (F)

Thanks!

Most of the addition needs the flooring replaced due to termite damage. Squidgey flooring is not ideal! The main house is fine and we are just going to sand down the original boards and varnish. They're nearly 200 years old and going strong.

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

I commented too Mags...you guys are *such* a cute couple...I'm lovin' it! Thanks for the new link..the house is looking great!!! :) M.

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)

Filed: Timeline

DARN you for posting this thread!!! I have spent the last few hours reading this blog like a crazy lady. Don't you know I have to get UP in the morning?!!! :lol:

Honestly, this took me back to my last home in Canada before moving to The States. I spent 5 years restoring two old cottages down by the lake which had been joined together at some point in time... never did find out when they were joined, or how old, it/they was/were. Ran into a really ancient guy who said his Grandfather used to own it 85 years ago and managed to get a bit of history from him. Turns out all the homes around my house, or rather, the land they are on, were formerly part of the property, and the rest of the land was full of greenhouses. Which explained why every time I dug in the garden I would find old stone bricks. Made for very nice walkways and retaining walls, though. :lol:

One of the carpenters who worked on the house nearly went nuts trying to get to some "artificats" he could see underneath the house but never could get to. That was after he removed 9.... yes, NINE.... layers of flooring before finding the original floorboards. Very cool. I loved that old house.

Looking forward to the next installment, Larry & Sian. Thank you. :thumbs:

iagree.gif

Filed: Timeline

I expect to have a little time after this Wednesday, so there will likely be an update then, if not before. With my current job, there has been NO time to work on the house. That'll be changing soon.

Glad y'all are enjoying the blog. Click on the links to other blogs on the side navigation....there are some real good ones. Enon Hall is the one who got me interested in Houseblogging. It's a long one, so don't start reading if you don't have a day or so free....

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I'll be sure to take a look at those. All of you are very brave for doing all this restoring on old houses. Old houses can be fun, but can also become a nightmare. I wonder if I'd have the guts to buy an old house to restore it. It certainly looks easier to just tear it down and build anew.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Timeline
I'll be sure to take a look at those. All of you are very brave for doing all this restoring on old houses. Old houses can be fun, but can also become a nightmare. I wonder if I'd have the guts to buy an old house to restore it. It certainly looks easier to just tear it down and build anew.

I certainly know that when I have finished something I stand back and feel really proud of what I have achieved. Plus, old houses have character and it would be a shame to destroy even a little bit of history.

Today is another painting clapboard day for me, so, I'd better get to it! :lol:

Edited by mags

lol @ history. hubby & i went up to CT to see my parents and they live in a very historical area. i kept telling him this town was established in 1708... blah blah blah... all the lovely buildings and he was slightly unimpressed. so i had to ask him why?

he said - *lal*, i am from CAIRO, established a BAZILLION years ago :lol:

Timeline

I'm reading Enon Hall and loving every detail on it! What a charming house and beautiful grounds. I could actually imagine myself sitting on the deck by the river.

11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics

*View Complete Timeline

Timeline
I'm reading Enon Hall and loving every detail on it! What a charming house and beautiful grounds. I could actually imagine myself sitting on the deck by the river.

It's a lovely blog. I feel slightly jealous though, he has millions of dollars to spend on it for renovations, so when I see all the top of the range stuff and the contractors coming in to help, I look at my little painter's cramped hands and want to cry! :lol:

Timeline
lol @ history. hubby & i went up to CT to see my parents and they live in a very historical area. i kept telling him this town was established in 1708... blah blah blah... all the lovely buildings and he was slightly unimpressed. so i had to ask him why?

he said - *lal*, i am from CAIRO, established a BAZILLION years ago :lol:

:lol:

He has a point.... :P

Timeline

Millions of dollars? I thought they had sweated in order to afford buying it in the first place. Is he rich or is he getting help?

And yes, I notice he calls in people to help, but hey, it makes your work more "to be proud of". Your house is turning out lovely, Mags! And you three should be VERY proud of it!

11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics

*View Complete Timeline

Timeline
Millions of dollars? I thought they had sweated in order to afford buying it in the first place. Is he rich or is he getting help?

And yes, I notice he calls in people to help, but hey, it makes your work more "to be proud of". Your house is turning out lovely, Mags! And you three should be VERY proud of it!

Aww thanks Laura. :D

Yup, the owner of Enon Hall is a CEO of some very large company. In fact, I think it is HIS company. He hasn't worked in almost a year, just sends in orders to his workers now and again!

Timeline

Oh, but I am still in year 2001, when just went to Enon Hall on weekends. He didn't seem THAT rich then. :P

11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics

*View Complete Timeline

Timeline
Oh, but I am still in year 2001, when just went to Enon Hall on weekends. He didn't seem THAT rich then. :P

Give it time! :lol:

I've just been reliably informed by Larry that Bill (Enon Hall) is the CEO of an advertising agency.