8 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi! I'm getting married with my boyfriend in weeks. We're both filipinos but he's now living in USA for a year and half as permanent resident/green card holder. Is there anyone here knows how long is the average time we should wait to get me approved after filing a petition? I read from some site it usually takes 2 years but from some, 5 years. Any experience/s you may share or any information that can help me find out the average or usual waiting period as of this moment. Thank you!!!! ;)

It will probably take somewhere between 2 and 6 years for a visa number to become available, then about a year or so for processing.  I know that is a big range, but it is constantly changing, so there is no way to be certain.

Click Spoiler for signature timeline.

3/10/2013 - Married

Green Card Process Summary
3/25/2013 - Submitted I-130's
01/13/2014 - Embassy Interview - Approved!
05/28/2014 - POE (U.S. Customs and Immigration Overseas Preclearance Facility - Abu Dhabi)
08/20/2014 - Green Card received.

Naturalization Process

01/20/2015 - Submitted N-400 for immediate naturalization under INA 319b.

02/10/2015 - Check cashed.

02/14/2015 - NOA

04/07/2015 - Case shipped to local field office.

04/08/2015 - Interview scheduled for July 6, 2015.

04/08/2015 - Wifey better be studying her butt off for the citizenship test!

07/08/2015 - Wifey was studying her butt off and passed the test easily. Oath ceremony completed on same day! We are done with our journey!

Timeline
4 hours ago, Karen22M said:

Hi! I'm getting married with my boyfriend in weeks. We're both filipinos but he's now living in USA for a year and half as permanent resident/green card holder. Is there anyone here knows how long is the average time we should wait to get me approved after filing a petition? I read from some site it usually takes 2 years but from some, 5 years. Any experience/s you may share or any information that can help me find out the average or usual waiting period as of this moment. Thank you!!!! ;)

Hi Karen22M. 1st of all, congratulations! My gf and I just got married last March 16(she's also a permanent resident). While she was here, we prepared the Forms I-130 and I-130A . She returned to US on Apr 1 and filed the petition on Apr 6. She received the Notice of Action (Form I-797C) on April 21, 2017. I now have my priority date but still waiting for NOA2 or Notice of Action again for the Approval but as of now it takes more or less 1 year. And around 2 years for F2A applicants from the Philippines for their pd to become current base on the current Visa bulletin.  But this is not always the case. It could move forward quicky or it may retrogress.

When you got hold of your NOA1 you can check your priority date on the website below for your pd to become current. It is usually updated every 10th of the month.  Visa bulletin for Oct 2017 priority date for F2A (Philippines) is 22Oct2015.

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/law-and-policy/bulletin.html

Also, you can check the website below for Philippine forum of VisaJourney.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/129-philippines/

Edited by rj29

Timeline
On 9/13/2017 at 8:04 PM, rj29 said:

Hi Karen22M. 1st of all, congratulations! My gf and I just got married last March 16(she's also a permanent resident). While she was here, we prepared the Forms I-130 and I-130A . She returned to US on Apr 1 and filed the petition on Apr 6. She received the Notice of Action (Form I-797C) on April 21, 2017. I now have my priority date but still waiting for NOA2 or Notice of Action again for the Approval but as of now it takes more or less 1 year. And around 2 years for F2A applicants from the Philippines for their pd to become current base on the current Visa bulletin.  But this is not always the case. It could move forward quicky or it may retrogress.

When you got hold of your NOA1 you can check your priority date on the website below for your pd to become current. It is usually updated every 10th of the month.  Visa bulletin for Oct 2017 priority date for F2A (Philippines) is 22Oct2015.

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/law-and-policy/bulletin.html

Also, you can check the website below for Philippine forum of VisaJourney.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/129-philippines/

Hi! Thanks! Can I also ask about how the visa bulletin works? I visited the website and saw 2 tables. I can't really understand how those two works lol or their difference. All I know is that all applications that have priority dates earlier in the dates in the table is what's currently processing. Is that right? Help! Haha

Timeline
On 9/13/2017 at 4:36 PM, jayjayj said:

It will probably take somewhere between 2 and 6 years for a visa number to become available, then about a year or so for processing.  I know that is a big range, but it is constantly changing, so there is no way to be certain.

Thanks!

Timeline
14 hours ago, Karen22M said:

Hi! Thanks! Can I also ask about how the visa bulletin works? I visited the website and saw 2 tables. I can't really understand how those two works lol or their difference. All I know is that all applications that have priority dates earlier in the dates in the table is what's currently processing. Is that right? Help! Haha

You're right on the 1st,  2nd is when the NVC will accept payment and start processing the visa and affidavit of support and other documents and what I understand is that it is also use for AOS (Adjustment of Status) for those currently in the US who needs to file for adjustment.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
On 9/15/2017 at 10:41 AM, rj29 said:

You're right on the 1st,  2nd is when the NVC will accept payment and start processing the visa and affidavit of support and other documents and what I understand is that it is also use for AOS (Adjustment of Status) for those currently in the US who needs to file for adjustment.

Thanks! Can I also ask what documents did you prepare to file a petition? Aside from the marriage contract or nso/psa marriage cert? The docs that should really be prepared beforehand before my bf go back to USA

Edited by Karen22M

Timeline
2 hours ago, Karen22M said:

Thanks! Can I also ask what documents did you prepare to file a petition? Aside from the marriage contract or nso/psa marriage cert? The docs that should really be prepared beforehand before my bf go back to USA

You're welcome. Please visit https://www.uscis.gov/i-130 You can download the form there and all the documents required can be found here

We have prepared all those applicable to us under NO. 5 of GENERAL REQUIREMENTS.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.