CzechMate

My Fiances son

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Czech Republic
Timeline

Hi folks,

VJ is terrific. Im just starting my petition for K1 so you can image how awesome it is to have a site like this.

I have some questions about children. Ive listed my fiance's son on the I-129F but Im concerned that I need more paperwork for him.

Im pretty familiar with the paperwork after NOA2 but what about for the initial I-129F package? :help:

I was also kind of wondering about the birth certificate and her divorce decree being translated. I can read and understand Czech well enough to do the translation myself. Since it only has to be certified as accurate and not notorized can I do this myself. Will it fly? :innocent:

CM

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Grenada
Timeline

During the I-129F stage at USCIS, the only reporting for children of benificiary is listing their names, birthdates, and place of residence. There will be more information required at the interview, such as original birthcertificates, medical exam, police certificate (depending on age) and the child may need to atttend the interview (depending on age and Embassy requirements). You will also need evidence from the childs other parent that they give permission for the child toimmigrate, or court records showing sole custody to the immgrating parent. The Embassy you are going through will be able to give you more specifics on what they require for this type of evidence.

So use the time while at USCIS to gather the birth certificates and other documentation. The child will have up toa year to obtain their visa after the parent has obtained their. Then there will be six months that valid will be valid for travel.

Good Luck!

Sue

grenada.gifusa.gif

"We owe something to extravagance for thrift and adventure go seldom hand in hand." JJC

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi folks,

VJ is terrific. Im just starting my petition for K1 so you can image how awesome it is to have a site like this.

I have some questions about children. Ive listed my fiance's son on the I-129F but Im concerned that I need more paperwork for him.

Im pretty familiar with the paperwork after NOA2 but what about for the initial I-129F package? :help:

I was also kind of wondering about the birth certificate and her divorce decree being translated. I can read and understand Czech well enough to do the translation myself. Since it only has to be certified as accurate and not notorized can I do this myself. Will it fly? :innocent:

CM

Translation requirements can be tricky. The sure route is an official translation from a local Czech government office, if available. USCIS might accept your certification of accurate translation but they may also consider you to have a conflict of interest. Perhaps somebody will chime in with direct experience. For China, the Consulate only accepts official Chinese Notarial Translations for such things as Birth Certificates, Divorce Decrees and Police Reports.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Timeline

CzechMate,

I share pushbrk's concern about DIY translations. I've read numerous reports of people who have done this without problem, but I'm more comfortable with having a 3rd party do translations.

There are usually translation services available in the neighborhoods of US embassys and consulates that do translations for a reasonable price (reasonable compared to the cost of getting translations done in the USA, anyway). Or have a friend who is literate in both languages do the translations. I've use both methods - services and friends. (Unless the consulate in the Czech Republic insists on translations by government agencies as pushbrk reports that the consulate in China does.)

Be careful with the transliteration of names on translations, in particular be certain that all translated documents transliterate your fiance's and the children's names the same as is in their passports.

Yodrak

Hi folks,

I was also kind of wondering about the birth certificate and her divorce decree being translated. I can read and understand Czech well enough to do the translation myself. Since it only has to be certified as accurate and not notorized can I do this myself. Will it fly?

CM

Translation requirements can be tricky. The sure route is an official translation from a local Czech government office, if available. USCIS might accept your certification of accurate translation but they may also consider you to have a conflict of interest. Perhaps somebody will chime in with direct experience. For China, the Consulate only accepts official Chinese Notarial Translations for such things as Birth Certificates, Divorce Decrees and Police Reports.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

For the initial petition all that is required is to list him on the I-129F. However, come interview time you will need more information (birth certificate, international passport, permission from father allowing the relocation, to name a few).

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Timeline

Thanks to everyone that has replied thus far.

Fortunately we have a pile of documentation so by not having add more paperwork for him now its already done for later.

As for the translation, the jury is still out on that one. When we applied for her to get a tourist visa none of the documents had to be translated for the interview. Regardless Ive found a couple of folks that can do certified Czech <-> English translations.

Now to get it all packaged up and sent off to Vermont....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Please refer to the guides about children HERE if you have questions about issues not included on those pages I'm sure that someone would be more than helpful here at VJ .. this is a great place :thumbs:

CB

Donnie and Sylvia

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

...just another little side note to add: :whistle:

You will also more than likely have to obtain a written, notarized permission from the birth mother, if she is alive, as well if he plans on bringing the son over (if the child is a minor). I do know that in the United States, if a parent wants to move out of state, or even the country, they must have permission from the other parent...in order to avoid any claims against kidnapping....so I can't see where they wouldn't question a potential immigrant bringing a child into the country..without some questions regarding the other parent

I-129F

13 April 2007--Mailed I-129F (Processed at California Service Center)

18 April 2007--Received NOA1

13 Aug. 2007--Received NOA2

09 Oct. 2007--Medical in London

08 Nov. 2007--Visa Interview & Approved

14 Nov. 2007--Pete receives K1 visa in the mail

21 Nov. 2007-- Pete arrives in the United States (together at last!!)

27 Dec. 2007--Our 3 year anniversary of being engaged

16 Feb. 2008--We were married!!

AOS

........ho hum....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

I second what everyone said here, especially about third party "official" translations being better... especially if they have lots of stamps and certifications all over them... ;)

BUT do read through the translations and make sure everything is correct. Our experience was that there was an official place, recommended by the Consulate, to have translations done at a reasonable price, but they made LOTS of mistakes (this was in Nepal).

As others have said, the important thing now is to list him on the I-129F (and any other children she has, if any). When she gets Packet 3 from the Consulate, I believe you will have to fill out separate visa application paperwork for her son.

Best wishes!

Maya

Many thanks to the Visajourney community for all the help!

Timeline
...just another little side note to add: :whistle:

You will also more than likely have to obtain a written, notarized permission from the birth mother, if she is alive, as well if he plans on bringing the son over (if the child is a minor). I do know that in the United States, if a parent wants to move out of state, or even the country, they must have permission from the other parent...in order to avoid any claims against kidnapping....so I can't see where they wouldn't question a potential immigrant bringing a child into the country..without some questions regarding the other parent

Yeah definately... Like I said, we've been gathering documents for a while now just trying to figure out what to give/send to whom and when. I think we're all set now.

Unfortunately, the boys father is kind of a jerk and was all too happy to give us the written letter of release. In fact we had it in hand about two hours after she asked him for it.

CM

Timeline
I second what everyone said here, especially about third party "official" translations being better... especially if they have lots of stamps and certifications all over them... ;)

BUT do read through the translations and make sure everything is correct. Our experience was that there was an official place, recommended by the Consulate, to have translations done at a reasonable price, but they made LOTS of mistakes (this was in Nepal).

As others have said, the important thing now is to list him on the I-129F (and any other children she has, if any). When she gets Packet 3 from the Consulate, I believe you will have to fill out separate visa application paperwork for her son.

Best wishes!

Maya

Hey thanks for the advice. What Ive managed to do is do the whole translation myself and I found a Czech transcriber that will verify and then sign my transcription making corrections if necessary (but there shouldnt be any :) ).

As soon as it comes back from him, the whole I129F package is going in the mail.

CM

Filed: Timeline

CzechMate,

Translations of documents are usually not required by consulates - many consular officers can speak and read and write the language of their post, or local employees of the consulate can translate for them.

The USCIS in the USA is another story - there are a lot of languages around the world, the USCIS needs English translations.

Yodrak

Thanks to everyone that has replied thus far.

As for the translation, the jury is still out on that one. When we applied for her to get a tourist visa none of the documents had to be translated for the interview. .....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.