marcusa

N400 filers at Minneapolis,MN

2,267 posts in this topic

Just had my interview at 250 Marquette Ave in Minneapolis. 

Background: Came to the US in 2008, became a permanent resident in 2009 through marriage. Was able to apply for citizenship several years ago, but I am a huge procrastinator and waited till my green card was going to expire before I applied for it.

Timeline for N-400:

November 1, 2020: Submitted N-400 application based on 5+ year rule

February 12, 2021: Received notice that my biometrics would be reused (the last time I did biometrics was in 2011)

June 21, 2021: Interview scheduled 

July 29: Interview!

Documents I took with me:

- Interview letter

- Passport

- Green card

- A blue pen (my interview letter told me to bring one so I did)

I took an Uber and arrived at the building an hour beforehand. Waited in the lobby by the building entrance until 15 mins before my interview. Went upstairs to the seventh floor. Showed my interview letter to a security person. He asked me to read these four questions about Covid exposure. I answered “No” to all of them and he let me through to the security line. Emptied my pockets and walked through the metal detector (took less than a minute).

I then had to wait in a line to check-in for my interview. Was standing in line for 5 minutes because a guy before me forgot his interview notice or something.

Got through that line and then took my seat. Maybe 3-4 mins later my number was called. A lady took me back to an interview room and told me I was chosen to do a virtual interview with an immigration officer in Texas. She left me alone in a room with a couple iPads and a printer.

The IO was very nice and chill. He made the whole thing seem like a trivial formality and he made jokes throughout the entire interview.

When I first sat down he asked me to hold up my passport to the iPad camera and then he asked me to hold up my Green Card. He also then asked me to hold up a State ID or Driver’s License. I said I didn’t have one and he didn’t seem to care and just moved on to the English test.

I had to read a sentence and then write a sentence. I had to write it using a stylus pen on an iPad.

He then asked me six civics questions, all of which I got correct. They were: 

- Who was first president? 

- What is freedom of religion? 

- How many years do we elect a senator for? 

- What do we say loyalty to when we say pledge of allegiance? 

- What ocean is on the east side of the US? 

- What is the capital of the US?

Then he asked me a few quick questions, like what is my full name, date of birth, phone number, address, if I’m still married, and how many kids do we have.

He then sent something to the iPad that had my info and he had me sign it.

Then he asked a few of the yes/no questions (e.g. have you ever been a terrorist). Then he asked a few questions about whether I understand and accept the pledge of allegiance (e.g. will I be willing to defend the US if need be).

Then he sent something else to the iPad (about the pledge) for me to sign.

Then I just had to wait a few minutes for him to finish filling out some stuff and then he sent a copy of my Naturalization interview results to a printer that was in the room with me. It had a checkmark beside the “congratulations” box ... and that was it, my interview was over. 

The lady came back to get me, told me when I could possibly expect the oath ceremony (end of August at the earliest), and then showed me the exit.

I found the whole process to be very simple and straightforward, and everyone I came into contact with was nice and polite.

Edited by PawPatrol

On 7/29/2021 at 6:24 AM, PawPatrol said:

February 12, 2021: Received notice that my biometrics would be reused 

June 21, 2021: Interview scheduled For July 29

That’s great thanks for updating. 

Edited by aorich
error

On 7/29/2021 at 3:59 PM, PawPatrol said:

Just had my interview at 250 Marquette Ave in Minneapolis. 

Background: Came to the US in 2008, became a permanent resident in 2009 through marriage. Was able to apply for citizenship several years ago, but I am a huge procrastinator and waited till my green card was going to expire before I applied for it.

Timeline for N-400:

February 12, 2021: Received notice that my biometrics would be reused (the last time I did biometrics was in 2011)

June 21, 2021: Interview scheduled 

July 29: Interview!

Documents I took with me:

- Interview letter

- Passport

- Green card

- A blue pen (my interview letter told me to bring one so I did)

I took an Uber and arrived at the building an hour beforehand. Waited in the lobby by the building entrance until 15 mins before my interview. Went upstairs to the seventh floor. Showed my interview letter to a security person. He asked me to read these four questions about Covid exposure. I answered “No” to all of them and he let me through to the security line. Emptied my pockets and walked through the metal detector (took less than a minute).

I then had to wait in a line to check-in for my interview. Was standing in line for 5 minutes because a guy before me forgot his interview notice or something.

Got through that line and then took my seat. Maybe 3-4 mins later my number was called. A lady took me back to an interview room and told me I was chosen to do a virtual interview with an immigration officer in Texas. She left me alone in a room with a couple iPads and a printer.

The IO was very nice and chill. He made the whole thing seem like a trivial formality and he made jokes throughout the entire interview.

When I first sat down he asked me to hold up my passport to the iPad camera and then he asked me to hold up my Green Card. He also then asked me to hold up a State ID or Driver’s License. I said I didn’t have one and he didn’t seem to care and just moved on to the English test.

I had to read a sentence and then write a sentence. I had to write it using a stylus pen on an iPad.

He then asked me six civics questions, all of which I got correct. They were: 

- Who was first president? 

- What is freedom of religion? 

- How many years do we elect a senator for? 

- What do we say loyalty to when we say pledge of allegiance? 

- What ocean is on the east side of the US? 

- What is the capital of the US?

Then he asked me a few quick questions, like what is my full name, date of birth, phone number, address, if I’m still married, and how many kids do we have.

He then sent something to the iPad that had my info and he had me sign it.

Then he asked a few of the yes/no questions (e.g. have you ever been a terrorist). Then he asked a few questions about whether I understand and accept the pledge of allegiance (e.g. will I be willing to defend the US if need be).

Then he sent something else to the iPad (about the pledge) for me to sign.

Then I just had to wait a few minutes for him to finish filling out some stuff and then he sent a copy of my Naturalization interview results to a printer that was in the room with me. It had a checkmark beside the “congratulations” box ... and that was it, my interview was over. 

The lady came back to get me, told me when I could possibly expect the oath ceremony (end of August at the earliest), and then showed me the exit.

I found the whole process to be very simple and straightforward, and everyone I came into contact with was nice and polite.

Congratulations. Have you been notified when the oath will be ?

I had my interview last week. I passed the test and received N-652 “a decision cannot be made yet” just the routine run down list of  yes and no, without much of any other questions and explanation on what’s going on with the ambiguous delay. 

Edited by aorich

Anyone recently interviewed know if masks are required? I would assume yes so will just take one. Also my conditions were removed but my husband would like to come with for support, will they allow him with me even though it does not say he has to come on the notice?

Thank you

F(1) Student on OPT doing AOS

12/05/2016 --> Package sent to Chicago lockbox

12/07/2016 --> Package Delivered

12/15/2016 --> Checks Cashed!

12/16/2016 --> Electronic NOA recieved 23:31

3 hours ago, sausa said:

Anyone recently interviewed know if masks are required? I would assume yes so will just take one. Also my conditions were removed but my husband would like to come with for support, will they allow him with me even though it does not say he has to come on the notice?

Thank you

Yes. I wore my mask for the entire time inside. No, they only allow atterney in if you have one. No one else is allowed. Not even interpreter, all interpreters are through phone. It’s actually noted in your interview letter, regarding to both masks and who you can bring.  So I would read the letter just in case your letter is different from mine. Good luck!

12 hours ago, aorich said:

Yes. I wore my mask for the entire time inside. No, they only allow atterney in if you have one. No one else is allowed. Not even interpreter, all interpreters are through phone. It’s actually noted in your interview letter, regarding to both masks and who you can bring.  So I would read the letter just in case your letter is different from mine. Good luck!

Was your n400 on the 3 year rule?

On 8/12/2021 at 10:05 PM, aorich said:

I got the same thing as you " Decision Cannot Be Made"... Did they say why to you? The lady I had was super nice and everything went well

23 hours ago, sausa said:

I got the same thing as you " Decision Cannot Be Made"... Did they say why to you? The lady I had was super nice and everything went well

Sorry to hear that. It’s disappointing. No. I was not given any reason. I was simply told to wait for the decision in mail.  Were you told why a decision cannot be made yet?  

I am guessing the officers might be new, and they do not have the authority to even recommend for approval. The results need to be reviewed by their supervisors.

Edited by aorich

2 hours ago, aorich said:

Sorry to hear that. It’s disappointing. No. I was not given any reason. I was simply told to wait for the decision in mail.  Were you told why a decision cannot be made yet?  

I am guessing the officers might be new, and they do not have the authority to even recommend for approval. The results need to be reviewed by their supervisors.

No she said that everything looked good and she sees no reason or any issues for a denial but she needed to send it to her supervisor. She said it should be done by this afternoon but it still shows no updates online.

is yours still pending ?!

2 hours ago, sausa said:

No she said that everything looked good and she sees no reason or any issues for a denial but she needed to send it to her supervisor. She said it should be done by this afternoon but it still shows no updates online.

is yours still pending ?!

Interesting. I think they might update you as soon as they find you a spot for any upcoming ceremony. The ceremonies don’t seem to be held very often due to covid. It’s nerve racking. I will keep you updated. 

Yes, it is. My online status still shows “Interview was scheduled”

14 hours ago, aorich said:

Interesting. I think they might update you as soon as they find you a spot for any upcoming ceremony. The ceremonies don’t seem to be held very often due to covid. It’s nerve racking. I will keep you updated. 

Yes, it is. My online status still shows “Interview was scheduled”

Oh no, that’s not good. Mine still has not changed, I’m just confused cause they said it would be done the next afternoon...

I wouldn’t think it’s cause we are waiting for oaths I think they are doing them in St. Paul every month now? Just so frustrating I guess cause I read other field offices schedules oaths the next day or same day sometimes. Just want this to be over 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.