marcusa

N400 filers at Minneapolis,MN

2,267 posts in this topic

Questions for you guys , i have a pending n-400 which i filled late January of this year in St. Paul based on 3 year of marriage to an American citizen. MY wife found a lucrative job overseas in Europe that is due to start in September of this year  . So we made the decision to explore this option for The next 2 years. My question is how  will this implicate my pending N-400 application and My current green card ? I am getting worried about losing it all . Would it be Ok to have my interview and oath while abroad ? OR at least the oath If the interview takes place beforehand we leave 

any help or advice is really appreciated    

Filed: Other Timeline
4 minutes ago, India_delta said:

Questions for you guys , i have a pending n-400 which i filled late January of this year in St. Paul based on 3 year of marriage to an American citizen. MY wife found a lucrative job overseas in Europe that is due to start in September of this year  . So we made the decision to explore this option for The next 2 years. My question is how  will this implicate my pending N-400 application and My current green card ? I am getting worried about losing it all . Would it be Ok to have my interview and oath while abroad ? OR at least the oath If the interview takes place beforehand we leave 

It really depends on your priorities.  If your priorities are to be with your wife and she gets that job, even if it means to leave with your wife regardless of the status of your N-400 (knowing that you will likely lose your N-400 status), then I guess you do that.  But, if your priorities are that you finish this process or what's left of it, then finish the process then go. 

You have a good chance of finishing before September. But, if it was me, I would put off all these overseas opportunities (which come and go all the time) and stay here for a month or two extra if I have to (and I know my wife would totally support me on that).  But, you are supposed to stay living and residing with your wife in the state you applied in, otherwise you may lose your eligibility to the privilege of being a US citizen. Again, that's me and my wife (which may very well be different that what you both are going through.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
1 hour ago, India_delta said:

I might be wrong but moving away to live permanently elsewhere could also have negative implications on your Permanent Resident status.

Filed: Other Timeline
15 minutes ago, kline19 said:

I might be wrong but moving away to live permanently elsewhere could also have negative implications on your Permanent Resident status.

Oh Yes... You would lose your residency in the US as well; because technically you will not be a resident of the US anymore.  Just wait, get your citizenship, then live wherever you want.

• 2 months later...
On 3/4/2020 at 9:06 PM, India_delta said:

If you really don't want to lose your green card and citizenship case, you must maintain a lease in US with all the proof of residency including US driving license, US insurance, US utility bills in your name, US bank account statements, getting paid in USD in US bank account. Taking an employment outside of US would severely impact your chance to get citizenship and also your green card.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Togo
Timeline
On 3/4/2020 at 8:06 PM, India_delta said:

You can travel when your N400 is pending, but the rule of one year outside is still applying,  in your case I ll suggest that your wife and you travel to the Europe. But you ll come back to finish the N400, and not stay there for more than 3 months. If your case pend longer you can still go to Europe on a quick 3 to 6 weeks trip. Then after the oath ceremony  you can  moved permanently  if you wish. Good luck.

My N400 Timeline

- August 18,2018 :  Case Received

- September 10, 2018 : Biometrics

- May 28th 2019 : Interview Update online

- June 3rd  2019 : Interview Letter Received

- July 3rd 2019  : Interview Day   

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1q2WooojyQKVxbF_N6bxO8muQM8QjybXZVv5QzSqDWAk/edit#gid=794661185

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline
On 5/17/2020 at 10:02 AM, Prince2togo said:

You can travel when your N400 is pending, but the rule of one year outside is still applying,  in your case I ll suggest that your wife and you travel to the Europe. But you ll come back to finish the N400, and not stay there for more than 3 months. If your case pend longer you can still go to Europe on a quick 3 to 6 weeks trip. Then after the oath ceremony  you can  moved permanently  if you wish. Good luck.

Hey Prince, how far is your case? I hope they have approved your case.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Any news for folks from ND? I am still awaiting my interview. I filed in April 2019. With COVID19 situation I don’t even know if I will get an interview by August 2020 :(

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline
On 5/22/2020 at 12:47 PM, Hydigal said:

Any news for folks from ND? I am still awaiting my interview. I filed in April 2019. With COVID19 situation I don’t even know if I will get an interview by August 2020 :(

@Hydigal My oath ceremony is scheduled on June 9th at Fargo

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
2 hours ago, Citizendan said:

@Hydigal My oath ceremony is scheduled on June 9th at Fargo

That’s awesome. Finally! It was a long wait. Congratulations! I am happy for you :)

1 hour ago, Hamido said:

My oath ceremony scheduled I don’t know the date and location yet 

8620F8D1-394C-4F4E-A4D2-81A74B563D74.png

Funny enough, I just got the same notification but still can't see my date yet as well. I figure we'll probably get the dates tomorrow. Let me know when's your date and I guess it'll end up being held at the federal plaza since I had a friend take his oath there this last past Wednesday. Hopefully things die down a bit with the tension this weekend.

2 minutes ago, Demian_Bones said:

Funny enough, I just got the same notification but still can't see my date yet as well. I figure we'll probably get the dates tomorrow. Let me know when's your date and I guess it'll end up being held at the federal plaza since I had a friend take his oath there this last past Wednesday. Hopefully things die down a bit with the tension this weekend.

I hope so, congratulations to you 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.