9 posts in this topic

Hello,

I was wondering what the requirements are for a co-sponsor in a marriage context.  My future spouse is a Ukrainian citizen and we are in the process of filling out the forms to send to USCIS.  I do not make the minimum salary of $19,662 so I am told I need a sponsor.  I was going to ask my father but he is still deciding and we do not have too much time since her visa is expiring soon.  Before we ask some close friends of ours to help, I just wanted to clarify what the minimum salary of a co-sponsor must be and other requirements in order for them to legally sponsor us.

Thank you!

K and N

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

same as yours, and the amount depends on their household size

if the person is married, married, with dependent children, children or parents that are their dependents

you always will be the primary sponsor and will fill out an affidavit of support, regardless of what you make, you will need a joint sponsor

and be a USC or LPR

Edited by aleful

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Sorry, ignore my previous post, I have edited it since I realized after posting what the situation was.

49 minutes ago, spasiba said:

Hello,

I was wondering what the requirements are for a co-sponsor in a marriage context.  My future spouse is a Ukrainian citizen and we are in the process of filling out the forms to send to USCIS.  I do not make the minimum salary of $19,662 so I am told I need a sponsor.  I was going to ask my father but he is still deciding and we do not have too much time since her visa is expiring soon.  Before we ask some close friends of ours to help, I just wanted to clarify what the minimum salary of a co-sponsor must be and other requirements in order for them to legally sponsor us.

Thank you!

K and N

@Sunnyland

She is in the US on a F1 and in OPT. They are looking to marry and adjust status.

@spasiba

Would you have enough assets? I am guessing not, but if you did then you could use those to meet the minimum requirements (but the threshold is different). Otherwise aleful gave you the information you are seeking, they must be a USC or LPR and they have to meet the same requirements depending on their household size.

Edited by EG&XY

Relationship:     First met 2015, Married since Oct 2016

Spoiler

2015 Apr - First met and started chatting online (he was in the US on a J-1 visa)

2015 Sep - J-1 visa expires (2 year home stay requirement)

2016 Feb - First trip to China (10 days): met friends and family, celebrated Spring Festival (Chinese New Year), lots of sightseeing (including seeing pandas), and lots of food

2016 Feb 06 - Purchase matching jade necklaces to mark engagement

2016 Jun/Jul - Second trip to China (10 days): lots more sightseeing, food, and time with friends/family

2016 Sep/Oct - Third trip to China (10 days) this time with my parents so that my parents could meet him and his mom, along with lots of sightseeing and food (i'm sure you've picked up on a trend by now :D)

2016 Oct - At the end of the time in China my parents, myself, and Xuan all traveled to Canada (7 days) so that we could get married, but unfortunately his mom couldn't come along with us.

2016 Oct 08 - Wedding day on top of Mount Washington on Vancouver Island, and it had just snowed the night before. (L)(L)

2017 Jan - Fourth trip to China (7 days), you guessed it: food, family, friends, spring festival, ...

The CR-1 Process:    NOA1 - PD 27 Dec 2016 (TSC)

Spoiler

2016 Dec 21 - Sent I-130 packet (along with G-1145 for e-notification) by USPS priority mail express (1-day), but missed the pick-up so it won't actually leave till the next day

2016 Dec 23 - Delivery confirmed by USPS

2017 Jan 03 - Payment drawn from bank account

2017 Jan 04 - Text and email confirming USCIS receipt of petition, assignment to Texas Service Center for processing and SRC case number

2017 Jan 09 - Received I-797c notice of action by mail (NOA1) with assigned priority date of 27 Dec 2016

2017 ??? ......... just waiting patiently for NOA2 (hopefully by April/May if they ever stop transferring cases from Nebraska)

2 hours ago, aleful said:

same as yours, and the amount depends on their household size

if the person is married, married, with dependent children, children or parents that are their dependents

you always will be the primary sponsor and will fill out an affidavit of support, regardless of what you make, you will need a joint sponsor

and be a USC or LPR

Thank you for the info

1 hour ago, CEE53147 said:

Any cosponsor needs to understand the commitment. I would not sponsor for anyone other than a child. Why will your father not assist you?

He hasn't met her yet.  He'll be visiting us on the 17th of August and her visa expires the 11th of August and her EAD card expires on the 28th of August (she is here via F1-OPT status).

Could you elaborate on the commitments of being a co sponsor?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
Spoiler

what is your legal status? are you a US Citizen? if so, it doesn't matter that her visa expires, overstay is forgiven for those who entered legally and are married to a USC. the first thing you have to do is get married, live together and start getting together proof of bona fide marriage. that your marriage is real

so you have time to get together the adjustment of status packet. the commitments are the same as yours, if she incurs in means tested benefits, the government could go after you to get the money back. if you don't have the money, then they would go after your father. you are the primary sponsor as the petitioner regardless of what income you make and must fill out the i864. your father would fill out another i864 as your joint sponsor

the commitment is until she becomes a USC, dies, decides to return to her country and abandons the GC, or works 40 quarters the commitments are in the instructions of the i864, please read the instructions

14 minutes ago, aleful said:
  Reveal hidden contents

what is your legal status? are you a US Citizen? if so, it doesn't matter that her visa expires, overstay is forgiven for those who entered legally and are married to a USC. the first thing you have to do is get married, live together and start getting together proof of bona fide marriage. that your marriage is real

so you have time to get together the adjustment of status packet. the commitments are the same as yours, if she incurs in means tested benefits, the government could go after you to get the money back. if you don't have the money, then they would go after your father. you are the primary sponsor as the petitioner regardless of what income you make and must fill out the i864. your father would fill out another i864 as your joint sponsor

the commitment is until she becomes a USC, dies, decides to return to her country and abandons the GC, or works 40 quarters the commitments are in the instructions of the i864, please read the instructions

Thank you, this is very helpful.  I'm a USC.  How I'm interpreting your answer is that once we get married at City Hall she'll have some time to fill out the AOS applications and mail them to USCIS.  I hear it is better to send these forms as early as possible in order to increase our chances of her getting approved to become a USC.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
2 minutes ago, spasiba said:

Thank you, this is very helpful.  I'm a USC.  How I'm interpreting your answer is that once we get married at City Hall she'll have some time to fill out the AOS applications and mail them to USCIS.  I hear it is better to send these forms as early as possible in order to increase our chances of her getting approved to become a USC.

It doesn't really have anything to do with her chances of getting approved. Before she applies for the adjustment of status she could be deported, once she files she will be back in legal status since she had a pending application. Any time that she was out of status (after f1 expires and before she files) will be forgiven as long as she completes the adjustment of status and obtains the green card.

Just to be clear she is applying for a green card. She will not be eligible for citizenship until she has had the green card for 3 years (she can apply for citizenship after having the green card for 2 years and 9 months). And in between she will have to apply for a removal of conditions to change from a conditional green card to a permanent green card.

Relationship:     First met 2015, Married since Oct 2016

Spoiler

2015 Apr - First met and started chatting online (he was in the US on a J-1 visa)

2015 Sep - J-1 visa expires (2 year home stay requirement)

2016 Feb - First trip to China (10 days): met friends and family, celebrated Spring Festival (Chinese New Year), lots of sightseeing (including seeing pandas), and lots of food

2016 Feb 06 - Purchase matching jade necklaces to mark engagement

2016 Jun/Jul - Second trip to China (10 days): lots more sightseeing, food, and time with friends/family

2016 Sep/Oct - Third trip to China (10 days) this time with my parents so that my parents could meet him and his mom, along with lots of sightseeing and food (i'm sure you've picked up on a trend by now :D)

2016 Oct - At the end of the time in China my parents, myself, and Xuan all traveled to Canada (7 days) so that we could get married, but unfortunately his mom couldn't come along with us.

2016 Oct 08 - Wedding day on top of Mount Washington on Vancouver Island, and it had just snowed the night before. (L)(L)

2017 Jan - Fourth trip to China (7 days), you guessed it: food, family, friends, spring festival, ...

The CR-1 Process:    NOA1 - PD 27 Dec 2016 (TSC)

Spoiler

2016 Dec 21 - Sent I-130 packet (along with G-1145 for e-notification) by USPS priority mail express (1-day), but missed the pick-up so it won't actually leave till the next day

2016 Dec 23 - Delivery confirmed by USPS

2017 Jan 03 - Payment drawn from bank account

2017 Jan 04 - Text and email confirming USCIS receipt of petition, assignment to Texas Service Center for processing and SRC case number

2017 Jan 09 - Received I-797c notice of action by mail (NOA1) with assigned priority date of 27 Dec 2016

2017 ??? ......... just waiting patiently for NOA2 (hopefully by April/May if they ever stop transferring cases from Nebraska)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.