Asmae

Just getting started

30 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
2 hours ago, Mayi & MiMi said:

Need to chime in for a moment but I dont think that a formal engagement party counts as a marriage ceremony, i think that it was just a way to say hey we have decided to get married and we wanted everyone to know.  A lot of families share that and get together to wish the two the best by throwing a party.  If there was no religious party to "marry" them (like an imam, qazi or madhun) then how is it considered a marriage? Was there any type of signing of a contract? Vows and blessings?

There was no imam or signing of any documents. He gave me my ring with the family there to celebrate engagement.  The party was an engagement party for his family to attend. Our marriage plans are for here in the U.S. in Niagara falls.  The family put together the engagement ceremony as a surprise to me when he formally proposed.

Timeline

Well now that it's finished and I'm already back in the U.S. he said to try the k1.  If it gets denied he will send for me immediately, we will marry legally in Morocco and file marriage visa. Either way we will get married as we don't want to be apart any longer. We have known each other 11 years and at age 50 for both of us, we just want to be together.  I wished we had known more before we did everything, however, we know much now. Thank you for all the advice I can receive from everyone here.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Asmae said:

There was no imam or signing of any documents. He gave me my ring with the family there to celebrate engagement.  The party was an engagement party for his family to attend. Our marriage plans are for here in the U.S. in Niagara falls.  The family put together the engagement ceremony as a surprise to me when he formally proposed.

See I would think that the embassy in Casablana would know that modern day weddings would have to be proven by a paper/contract. Since I'm not the expert in immigration and just going by MY own experience who am I to say which is better.  I would definitely ask a lawyer that has knowledge and experience in this topic to see which is correct.  Personally I have read about the embassy asking if there was a gathering to celebrate but I dont know if it was to see if it was considered a marriage or just a party.  Just my thought.  I wish you the very best   

K1 Visa         DENIED 

Service Center :    California Service  Center
Transferred?        No
Consulate :        Morocco
I-129F Sent :        2017-09-25
I-129F NOA1 :    2017-10-03
I-129F RFE(s) :    2018-04-02; 2018-05-08
RFE Reply(s) :    2018-04-25, 2018-05-22
I-129F NOA2 :    2018-06-04
NVC Received :    2018-06-21
Date Case #, IIN, 
and BIN assigned :    2018-06-21
NVC Left :        2018-07-10
Consulate Received :    2018-07-13
Packet 3 Received :    2018-07-31
Packet 3 Sent :    
Packet 4 Received :    
Interview Date :    2018-09-04    

CR1 Visa         APPROVED !!!!!!!!!!!

event.png

Filed: Country:
Timeline
23 hours ago, theanswerisdance said:

A few stories re: cultural ceremonies and K-1 denials:

If they do deny the K1 Visa does that mean things are done and they can't come in at all?  Or can you still apply for the other VISA?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, danie82 said:

If they do deny the K1 Visa does that mean things are done and they can't come in at all?  Or can you still apply for the other VISA?

It means you're done with the K-1. You can go get married elsewhere and then file a new application for the CR-1.

1 hour ago, danie82 said:

They can still apply for CR1, but it does mean the K1 money is gone. New petition, new check.

OP - how many times have you met in 11 years? Are you of the same religion or cultural background? As a tough embassy, those are important answers.

Timeline

We just met for the first time in June. I stayed in Morocco for 5 weeks.  Yes we are the same religion. I made my Shahada in 2005 just before we met online. I sent a visitors visa invitation to him a year after we started talking, but customs wouldn't let him enter because we hadn't met before. Then we talked online until 2008 and decided to move on with our lives. We reconnected 10 months ago and decided we really want to be together. He sent me a ticket to Morocco to do a formal engagement, meet his family and travel.  We are in our 50's, both divorced, he's a computer engineer and I'm a retired accountant. He has no children and I have 2 adult children and 6 grandchildren.  We discussed me staying and living in Morocco, but he would like to come here and meet my family, get married here, work and then retire in Morocco. That's our story.

Timeline
On 7/27/2017 at 3:42 PM, RJandHamid said:

Welcome to VJ! The K1 I-129F guide at the top of the page is a good place to start. (Note that the G325A as listed in the guide is no longer required). You don't need an attorney or an immigration service, all they do is file the paperwork for you and it is not hard to do by using the guides and forums here. I also went through the K1 process in Morocco and I'm currently typing this on my phone on my way to the airport to pick him up! 

VJ is a great resource and I and many other members can help answer any specific questions you have about the I-129F documents. ;)

Timeline

Omg this is so hard.  We have been apart only 5 days.  We are having serious separation issues after the time we spent together.  Is there anything faster to file and bring him here other than the k1 visa?  We can't hardly video chat without breaking down because we love each other so much.  11 years we have been in contact and then 6 fabulous weeks together with his family.  I'm trying to adjust back to normal life after this, as he is there in Morocco.  Can I go there and stay with him until the process of k1 is complete.  I'm asking with a saddened and broken heart.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

K1 is one of, if not the fastest visa to bring him here permanently. Since he is older and employed, he might have a shot at visiting on a tourist visa. You can stay with him during the K1 process, but remember you still need to meet the income level requirements in order to be approved.

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Morocco is not same as other countries 

we marry only in clerk of the court 

the parry for weddig may be a day or a week after

but it is not confused with a wedding ceremony as marriage is only a signed document created by clerk asking about dowery 

I had an engagement party also with women of the family

just submit  an affidait swearing photos of engagement party and getting approval from  family for marriage in the US

you can ask moroccan family member to do an affidavit

some will say they are not looked at by USCIS but i had to do several and USCIS did rocognize them

Timeline
On 7/28/2017 at 5:32 PM, GreatDane said:

They can still apply for CR1, but it does mean the K1 money is gone. New petition, new check.

OP - how many times have you met in 11 years? Are you of the same religion or cultural background? As a tough embassy, those are important answers.

I want to thank everyone for their help and advice.  We just made the decision for me to go back to Morocco and get married there then file for spousal visa.  It is the right decision to avoid time and denials.

6 minutes ago, Asmae said:

I want to thank everyone for their help and advice.  We just made the decision for me to go back to Morocco and get married there then file for spousal visa.  It is the right decision to avoid time and denials.

I would do the same. We all know how hard it is to be separated from someone you love. I wish you the best of luck with your marriage and your application!

Timeline
Just now, GreatDane said:

I would do the same. We all know how hard it is to be separated from someone you love. I wish you the best of luck with your marriage and your application!

It's been very hard indeed for both of us.  But I let him make the decision for what to do. He finally told me last night that he wants me back there and do everything proper so that there aren't delays.  Thank you so much.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.