tiurzm

The best time to apply fiance visa

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, please your advice

I just started my new job as a teacher a few days ago, July 2017. The school asks me to work for at least a year. I can't get off day a few months later (until the sixth months) because i am a new teacher there. So i am confused what month should i apply for my fiance visa. If i want to have the visa on June 1, 2018, should i apply my visa on October or November? Please your advice everyone.

Thank you :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi :) I am pretty new to this process too, so forgive me if I am wrong on this (I'm sure a more experienced member will come along soon). Anyway, from what I understand the visa process takes anywhere from about 6 to 8 months, sometimes longer, but once you get the visa, you have 6 months to actually enter the U.S. I hope that helps :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

You are a new teacher where?  Here in US and you want to apply for your finance?

or in Indonesia and you want to marry an american?

If you are the foreigner, the US citizen must apply for the K1 visa

And you need to have met in person

If you are here and US citizen apply anytime

/ make sure your income meets the 125% poverty guidelines as seen on internet 

good luck

You're right - October or November would get you your visa by around June in the BEST CASE SCENARIO. 

Keep in mind that very basic things (like getting a police check, original birth certificates, etc) can take months to do if you don't plan ahead, so don't plan any actual dates once the process starts. It also depends on how busy the processing centers are, when you get your visa interview, etc.

You might intend to marry in June, but it could easily end up being later OR even earlier.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hey Tiurzm --

Based on my experience I do not think you will be able to really schedule when you'll get your visa. Because the waiting periods between each stage of application are varied from one country to the next. Best thing to do, and IF you're certain with your decision about getting married, is to file your petition (I-129F) as soon as possible. 

Regardless if you're the USC or the foreign fiancee, I-129F petition is a collaborative work between the two of you. One should not completely rely on the other just because one is busy working and/or new at his/her work and/or does not really speaks English. That's bull****. I-129F could be a stressful process and you NEED to work together, after all this is for the two of you isn't it? It's not an impossible undertaking but it does requires a lot of attention to detail and communications. 

A little correction:

• Adil-Rafa's Statement: "the US citizen must apply for the K1 visa". This is technically incorrect. The US Citizen is the petitioner and is the one who submit the application BUT for it will be for I-129F Petition. Once your petition (I-129F) is approved by USCIS / Dept. State your Indonesian fiancé will have to apply for K-1 Visa in Jakarta. If you're still at the early stage of sending your I-129F petition, many of these terms won't make sense. But read and read more. Visa Journey should be your new 'Bible' but please take it with a grain of salt.

• Peot's statement: "Keep in mind that very basic things (like getting a police check, original birth certificates, etc) can take months to do if you don't plan ahead". Your Indonesian fiancee will NOT be required to submit a Police Clearance / Police Certificate (i.e. SKCK in Indonesia). Just make sure she has her original birth certificate and will need to translate it later. HOWEVER you will NOT need these documents until later when your I-129F is approved. I'd suggest for you to focus on what do you need to submit for your I-129F first. And once you receive your NOA1 you can start compiling your Packet 3 application Pack. It might be 3-4 months after you send your I-129F. Read the Visa Journey's K-1 Visa application chart (http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow) and the USCIS step-by-step: https://www.uscis.gov/family/k-1-process-step-step

I hope this helps?

All the best, good luck, and have fun!

x

J/G

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.