Magnolia31

My POE experience was not so wonderful

43 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hey everyone on VJ!

I wanted to write my experience about entering the US when I first got here which was March 5th, but I didn't have computer access until recently. Anyhow, I wanted to share that my experience wasn't that wonderful. However, as soon as I saw my "now husband", it kinda helped me forget about it. I still feel the need to share this just incase someone else gets told to wait for someone from the CDC to come.

Well, what happened is this:

As I got to the little booth to give the Immigration Officer my package which included my medical exam, I felt pretty confident. I mean, my fiancee visa had gotten approved so nothing could go wrong, right? Well, as he got to my medical records, he told me I needed to step to the side and that he needed to call someone from the CDC. I of course freaked out because as far as I was told, my medical exam was just fine. I asked the officer why I needed to wait for the CDC and he told me it was nothing. Well #######, if it's nothing, why in the heck am I being treated like I am carrying some contagious disease? So I asked him again. I said excuse me sir, I don't understand what is going on and you have me worried. I would like to know what the problem is. Still, he told me to calm down and just wait. At this point I am like #######!? How can you tell me to calm down but treat me this way?

So, since I realized i wouldn't get any answers out of him, I knew i just had to wait for someone form the CDC. So after waiting 20 minutes, someone finally gets there to talk to me. So the lady asks me if I am okay and if I am feeling sick. I tell her no, I am just fine. I then told her, "Look, there is nothing wrong with me, I dont feel sick, and this officer refuses to tell me what is going on, can you please clarify what the problem is. So she goes and asks the IO what the problem is. Apparently, he saw in my records that I have anxiety disorder, which is NOT a threat to anyone, and that I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), which is also NOT contagious and NOT a threat.

The lady from the CDC seemed very annoyed that she was called over there for something that was not really anything major. She actually apologized to me for his behavior and told him to give me my and my daughter's passport so we can finally get moving.

Now my problem with this isn't even the IO's actions because I can understand he may not have known what any of these listed were and he was trying to take precautions. However, it really bothered me that he told me to calm down, told me to wait on the side fro the CDC person, but refused to tell me what the hell was going on. I feel that I had the right to know.

Anyhow, I feel the need to post this because if any of you have anything listed on your medical exams which an IO may not understand, be prepared to wait for a person from the CDC to come. Don't panic or freak out like I did. Had I known that this could happen to me I probably would have not worried so much. However, i did not read anything like this postd from anyone else on here.

TTYL!

Sandra

036.jpg

Timeline:

*Met in Tanzfleck, Germany October 24, 2003 - Continued dating until he got out of the ARMY in Nov. 2005. Continued LD relationship.

*Came to visit me in Germany for New Years 2006

*Filed for K1 Visa on 4/4/06

*NOA1 - 7/6/06

*I-129F NOA2 Approved - 9/14/06

*Came to see me Thanksgiving week in Nov. 2006

*K1 Interview - 2/2/07

*K1 Visa received - 2/11/07

*Date of US Entry (POE Chicago)- 3/5/07

*Wedding/Marriage - 3/17/07

AOS (My case was expedited due to husband going to Iraq):

*Filed for AOS - 4/20/07

*Found out in the beginning of June that husband is going to Iraq

*NOA for I-485 - 6/11/07

*Made Infopass appointment to get case expedited due to deployment (Infopass appt 6/12/07)

*Biometrics - 7/7/07

*Interview date - 7/11/07

*I-485 Aprroval date- 7/11/07

*Green Card Received- 7/19/07

Removal of Conditions:

*Filed petition to remove conditions on 6/9/09

*NOA- 6/15/09

*Biometrics Appt. in Birmingham - 8/6/09

*Lifting of Conditions Approval Date - 10/22/09

*Waiting for Green Card!

Had our daughter on 4/4/08 and have another baby due 11/19/09!!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Hey everyone on VJ!

I wanted to write my experience about entering the US when I first got here which was March 5th, but I didn't have computer access until recently. Anyhow, I wanted to share that my experience wasn't that wonderful. However, as soon as I saw my "now husband", it kinda helped me forget about it. I still feel the need to share this just incase someone else gets told to wait for someone from the CDC to come.

As I got to the little booth to give the Immigration Officer my package which included my medical exam, I felt pretty confident. I mean, my fiancee visa had gotten approved so nothing could go wrong, right? Well, as he got to my medical records, he told me I needed to step to the side and that he needed to call someone from the CDC. I of course freaked out because as far as I was told, my medical exam was just fine. I asked the officer why I needed to wait for the CDC and he told me it was nothing. Well #######, if it's nothing, why in the heck am I being treated like I am carrying some contagious disease? So I asked him again. I said excuse me sir, I don't understand what is going on and you have me worried. I would like to know what the problem is. Still, he told me to calm down and just wait. At this point I am like #######!? How can you tell me to calm down but treat me this way?

So, since I realized i wouldn't get any answers out of him, I knew i just had to wait for someone form the CDC. So after waiting 20 minutes, someone finally gets there to talk to me. So the lady asks me if I am okay and if I am feeling sick. I tell her no, I am just fine. I then told her, "Look, there is nothing wrong with me, I dont feel sick, and this officer refuses to tell me what is going on, can you please clarify what the problem is. So she goes and asks the IO what the problem is. Apparently, he saw in my records that I have anxiety disorder, which is NOT a threat to anyone, and that I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), which is also NOT contagious and NOT a threat.

The lady from the CDC seemed very annoyed that she was called over there for something that was not really anything major. She actually apologized to me for his behavior and told him to give me my and my daughter's passport so we can finally get moving.

Now my problem with this isn't even the IO's actions because I can understand he may not have known what any of these listed were and he was trying to take precautions. However, it really bothered me that he told me to calm down, told me to wait on the side fro the CDC person, but refused to tell me what the hell was going on. I feel that I had the right to know.

Anyhow, I feel the need to post this because if any of you have anything listed on your medical exams which an IO may not understand, be prepared to wait for a person from the CDC to come. Don't panic or freak out like I did. Had I known that this could happen to me I probably would have not worried so much. However, i did not read anything like this postd from anyone else on here.

TTYL!

Sandra

Sorry for your POE experience. But "Welcome to America"! We have idiots here just like anywhere else!

Fernanda's Timeline

K-1

June 2, 2006 - Mailed K1 Petition

Jun 28, 2006 - NOA1

Oct 05, 2006 - NOA2 - APPROVED after 122 days

Dec 05, 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Consulate

Dec 11, 2006 - Medical Examination in Belo Horizonte

Jan 10, 2007 - Returned Packet #3 to Consulate (SEDEX-10)

Mar 13, 2007 - INTERVIEW SUCCESS! We have our K-1 VISA !!

POE & Texas Wedding

Mar 27, 2007 - POE Houston, TX. No questions. Gone in 10 minutes.

Mar 28, 2007 - Marriage License app

April 4, 2007 - Our Wedding Day!

April 12, 2007 - Apply for SS card with married name

April 20, 2007 - Received SS card

AOS

June 4, 2007 - Mailed AOS

June 6, 2007 - USCIS received

June 11, 2007 - NOA1 for I-485

July 18, 2007 - Biometrics completed

July 20, 2007 - Case transferred from MSC to CSC

July 31, 2007 - AOS Approved - 57 days - Without an Interview!

Aug 06, 2007 - Received Green Card in the mail today!

Jan 8, 2009 @ 8:18PM - Our son was born tonight !!

I-751 - Remove Conditions

July 11, 2009 - Certified Mail to VSC I-751 Package

July 14, 2009 - Check cleared bank

July 20, 2009 - NOA1 & 1 yr extension - Receipt date is July 14. Case# assigned

Sept 1, 2009 - Biometrics completed

Nov 25, 2009 - I-751 is approved. No Interview.

Dec 14, 2009 - 10yr Green Card arrived !

Timeline

Thank you Joey!

I see that you are in Texas - what part? I grew up in Texas .... lived there for 20 years. I miss it. It's cold here in Illinois!

Hey everyone on VJ!

TTYL!

Sandra

Sorry for your POE experience. But "Welcome to America"! We have idiots here just like anywhere else!

036.jpg

Timeline:

*Met in Tanzfleck, Germany October 24, 2003 - Continued dating until he got out of the ARMY in Nov. 2005. Continued LD relationship.

*NOA1 - 7/6/06

*K1 Interview - 2/2/07

*Filed for AOS - 4/20/07

*NOA for I-485 - 6/11/07

*Made Infopass appointment to get case expedited due to deployment (Infopass appt 6/12/07)

*Biometrics - 7/7/07

Removal of Conditions:

*NOA- 6/15/09

*Waiting for Green Card!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Since you have anxiety disorder, maybe he wanted to see just how much anxiety you can take. If it was serious you would not have been given a visa in the first place. Every organization has a uptight jerk that works for them. Where was your port of entry and what does this man look like. Hopefully other can avoided going throhg his line.

Timeline

Yes, I found it weird. I mean, I can see if I had schizophrenia or something where I could be harmful to others or something. It took me a total of 2 hours AFTER getting off that plane to finally let my husband know I made it. Frustrating LOL

CDC for anxiety disorder? :lol: I bet the IO received an earful from the CDC rep.

Anyway, Welcome Back!

036.jpg

Timeline:

*NOA1 - 7/6/06

*K1 Interview - 2/2/07

*Filed for AOS - 4/20/07

*NOA for I-485 - 6/11/07

*Biometrics - 7/7/07

Removal of Conditions:

*NOA- 6/15/09

*Waiting for Green Card!

Timeline

I'm not sure. I was thinking too that if it was a problem, my visa would have been denied. My POE was at the Chicago O'Hare Airport. The IO was black, wore glasses, bald, and a bit overweight. I could tell just by looking at him that he'd find something. I was actually supposed to have someone else but then they ended up opening the line for Americans and people with Visas to us, since the visitor side was sooooo long. Had it not been for that, I would have not had him.

e name='Mr.D2006' date='Apr 15 2007, 07:38 PM' post='839791']

Since you have anxiety disorder, maybe he wanted to see just how much anxiety you can take. If it was serious you would not have been given a visa in the first place. Every organization has a uptight jerk that works for them. Where was your port of entry and what does this man look like. Hopefully other can avoided going throhg his line.

036.jpg

Timeline:

*NOA1 - 7/6/06

*K1 Interview - 2/2/07

*Filed for AOS - 4/20/07

*NOA for I-485 - 6/11/07

*Biometrics - 7/7/07

Removal of Conditions:

*NOA- 6/15/09

*Waiting for Green Card!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

re schizophrenia:

There is no research that shows treated schizophrenics are more likely to commit violence than any other person.

Mental illness is mental illness - it just means your neurotransmitters are not firing correctly.

Anxiety that isn't treatable can be more destructive than schizophrenia that isn't treated. And the reverse is true.

Timeline

Well, my brother in law is schizophrenic and has attacked 5 people because he thought they were CIA agents. He has been in and out of mental institutions. I have never ever in my life heard about a person with GAD attacking someone. I have done research last year because i actually thought that my anxiety would disable me from getting the K-1visa. I dont know what you have read but I have read that people with GAD have never harmed anyone - there are no records to prove that. For schizophrenics there is. Same thing for people who are bipolar.

Anxiety causes you to worry and think the worst will happen, but doesnt cause you to go out and attack people in bouts of paranoia. Thats all it does for me. So i think that there is a major difference as opposed to what you stated. Its also been shown that alot of schizophrenics stop treatment because they think they are suddenly okay. Therefore, I would say a person with schizophrenia is more dangerous.

re schizophrenia:

There is no research that shows treated schizophrenics are more likely to commit violence than any other person.

Mental illness is mental illness - it just means your neurotransmitters are not firing correctly.

Anxiety that isn't treatable can be more destructive than schizophrenia that isn't treated. And the reverse is true.

036.jpg

Timeline:

*NOA1 - 7/6/06

*K1 Interview - 2/2/07

*Filed for AOS - 4/20/07

*NOA for I-485 - 6/11/07

*Biometrics - 7/7/07

Removal of Conditions:

*NOA- 6/15/09

*Waiting for Green Card!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

sorry to hear that.

06/02/2006 - filed I-129F

12/16/2006 - Enter States thru Atlanta

01/13/2007 - Marriage

01/19/2007 - Filed AOS and EAD to Chicago

02/06/2007 - NOA that AOS has been forwarded to CSC

02/12/2007 - Fingerprinting in St. Louis

03/28/2007 - email notification that card production ordered!!!! (Day 68)

04/20/2007 - GC in the mail.....no more USCIS for 2 years!!!!!

12/29/08 - Filed I-751 to VSC

01/12/09 - NOA in mail

01/24/09 - received ASC notice

02/06/09 - biometrics appointment in Orlando

02/09/09 - touch

06/01/09 - approval letter in mail

12/11/09 - Filed N-400 to NSC

12/14/09 - Package arrived at NSC

12/26/09 - NOA in mail

01/22/10 - Fingerprinting in Orlando

03/08/10 - Interview in Orlando (passed)

03/12/10 - Oath Ceremony

Matthew Quoc-Minh *11/29/08*

7 lbs 6 oz. (3.35 kg) and 20" (51cm)

01/29/09 (2-month-check-up): 11.9 lbs (5.4 kg) and 22" (56cm)

03/30/09 (4-month-check-up): 16.5 lbs (7.5 kg) and 25" (63cm)

05/29/09 (6-month-check-up): 19.2 lbs (8.7 kg) and 26" (66cm)

12/1/09 (12-month-check-up): 22 lbs (10 kg) and 30.3" (77cm)

06/11/10 (18-month-check-up): 27.5 lbs (12.5 kg) and 33.5" (85cm)

12/13/10 (24-month-check-up): 31.7 lbs (14.4 kg) and 35.8" (91cm)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
Well, my brother in law is schizophrenic and has attacked 5 people because he thought they were CIA agents. He has been in and out of mental institutions. I have never ever in my life heard about a person with GAD attacking someone. I have done research last year because i actually thought that my anxiety would disable me from getting the K-1visa. I dont know what you have read but I have read that people with GAD have never harmed anyone - there are no records to prove that. For schizophrenics there is. Same thing for people who are bipolar.

Anxiety causes you to worry and think the worst will happen, but doesnt cause you to go out and attack people in bouts of paranoia. Thats all it does for me. So i think that there is a major difference as opposed to what you stated. Its also been shown that alot of schizophrenics stop treatment because they think they are suddenly okay. Therefore, I would say a person with schizophrenia is more dangerous.

re schizophrenia:

You didn't understand what I wrote, but that's okay, I wasn't expecting much from someone who follows the masses in ignorance.

I think he probably didn't tell you anything 'cause he was afraid to show how ignorant he is! Some people haven't got a clue of the meaning of some conditions, and prefer to act as if they hold a piece of information that you don't know than showing that they are complete ignorants!

Welcome!!

US.gifVenezuela.gifUK.gif

dogdogcbu20090513_-30_My%20child%20is.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm not sure. I was thinking too that if it was a problem, my visa would have been denied. My POE was at the Chicago O'Hare Airport. The IO was black, wore glasses, bald, and a bit overweight. I could tell just by looking at him that he'd find something. I was actually supposed to have someone else but then they ended up opening the line for Americans and people with Visas to us, since the visitor side was sooooo long. Had it not been for that, I would have not had him.

How could you tell "He'd find something?" Did he fit a certain profile? Just curious...

Every day's a Holiday - Every meal's a feast - Every night is Saturday night!

Tanya 'n Rich

09-15-06 First online correspondence

10-07-06 First phone call (every Sat. since)

12-23-06 Holidays together in Siberia

to

01-03-07

01-04-07 morning & evening phone calls (short - привет/пока)

02-21-07 Return to Siberia

to (coldest temp and strongest winds I ever experienced :-o

03-04-07

Will File for K-1 upon return

03-12-07 K-1 Petition Sent from NYC to VSC

03-15-07 NOA1

03-20-07 Touched

04-09-07 NOA2!

04-10-07 Touched

04-11-07 NVC Received

04-17-07 NVC Forwarded I-129F to Moscow

05-07-07 Packet Received from Moscow

06-23-07 Traveled to Moscow for Interview

06-27-07 Interview

06-29-07 Visa Issued

07-05-07 Tanya, Sonya and Me Arrive in USA

07-06-07 Got our Marriage License!

09-01-07 Married!

-Having Fun-

02-22-08 Filed for AOS (My advice-Do NOT wait this long!!!)

09-09-08-Interview

09-16-08-Approved

10-03-08-Greencard Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.