strider4

Anyone with J-1/ F-1 who filed for AOS (marriage-based) in 2016 & 2017?

112 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
19 minutes ago, tamaara said:

Yay San Bernardino office! Congratulations!

Very good suggestions too.

Aweee thank you tamaara, I actually red your review before my interview it was very helpful for me. thank you for shaing!!:)

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 7/14/2017 at 2:09 PM, strider4 said:

Here's thee USCIS fee structure for forms:

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/our-fees

Please note they make changes from time to time.

It cost us $535 for the I-130 and $1225 (biometrics fee $85+ form fee $1140) for the I-485. We also retained a lawyer so that's separate expense. Yes, I applied for the EAD and AP; there's no fee for both of them as long as you file them together with your I-130 and I-485 packet.

You might want to consult a lawyer if your J-1 is running out, as in my case I had applied for a 2-year rule waiver and I'm not sure what's the case with J-1s who don't have the 2-year rule applicable upon them. People who come on visit visas and then due to change in circumstances, file for a green card, are able to stay while their application is pending decision. I was told I cannot stay in the country like such nonimmigrant visa holders and therefore my application must be adjudicated before I run out of J-1 status.

Secondly, I cannot use my EAD and AP as that would violate my J-1 status and bar me from registering at my university as well as working on campus. Our lawyer just made us do it so that she was able to gauge if they're touching our case from time to time.

Therefore, you'd have to discuss your J-1 circumstances with a lawyer just to be sure you can stay while your application is pending.

As for filing, I don't think retaining a lawyer is necessary since it's a straightforward process, unless it involves a complicated history.

Hello! Came across your post and it says:

Secondly, I cannot use my EAD and AP as that would violate my J-1 status and bar me from registering at my university as well as working on campus...” 

May I know why you can’t use your ead and ap if you have J-1? Thanks

13 hours ago, AAA0914 said:

Hello! Came across your post and it says:

Secondly, I cannot use my EAD and AP as that would violate my J-1 status and bar me from registering at my university as well as working on campus...” 

May I know why you can’t use your ead and ap if you have J-1? Thanks

I got to know this a few weeks back that actually I can use it. My lawyer had told me at first that I cannot, if I want to keep my student status intact. I misunderstood it as I cannot use it  under any circumstances. I can use my travel permit but that would end my J-1 status and the university would consider me "PR-pending".

I was being asked to keep my J-1 intact incase the interview outcome not in our favor (but we have been married for 3+ so hopefully that would not be an issue) I'd have my J-1 status to fall back on. But if the interview outcome is negative while being "PR-pending" I'd be asked to leave the country immediately, regardless of my degree enrollment. But I can use my EAD as long as it's for my university employment. I cannot use it for an internship off-campus or they'll not let me enroll.

Edited by strider4

Dec 2020 filers spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1krjUsYJAXqbDIuNL0y9UY2uOcBt5dr1Ji1jdbO63Dj0/edit?usp=sharing

USCIS journey so far:

Spoiler

N-400

Filed application online: 12/01/2020

Concurrent filing (I-130 & I-485)

Priority date: April 03, 2017 

NOAs received: April 17, 2017 (dated: April 12)

Biometrics apt: May 05, 2017 (notice received: April 21)

EAD card being produced (online status change): June 29, 2017

NOA2 (approval notice) received for EAD/AP: July 03, 2017

EAD card mailed to me (online status change): July 05, 2017

EAD/AP combo card in hand: July 08, 2017

Online case update - Interview is scheduled: Jan 26, 2018

Interview and online status update ('Card being produced') : Feb 27, 2018

Eligibility to file N-400: 11/30/2020

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, strider4 said:

I got to know this a few weeks back that actually I can use it. My lawyer had told me at first that I cannot, if I want to keep my student status intact. I misunderstood it as I cannot use it  under any circumstances. I can use my travel permit but that would end my J-1 status and the university would consider me "PR-pending".

I was being asked to keep my J-1 intact incase the interview outcome not in our favor (but we have been married for 3+ so hopefully that would not be an issue) I'd have my J-1 status to fall back on. But if the interview outcome is negative while being "PR-pending" I'd be asked to leave the country immediately, regardless of my degree enrollment. But I can use my EAD as long as it's for my university employment. I cannot use it for an internship off-campus or they'll not let me enroll.

Hey! Thanks for your response. If I may ask, is your spouse an american citizen? 

And I see that your J-1 is for exchange student. My J-1 is for teacher-exchange. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I am currently on F-1 OPT. OPT expires October 13, 2017. On March 2017, I married a U.S. citizen. We filed AOS package and Travel documents on June 30, 2017 at NBC.

Here’s my timeline:

30-Jun-2017

Filed AOS package and Travel Document

5-Jul-2017

USCIS received fingerprint fee for I-485

6-Jul-2017

Received I-797 Receipt Notices

15-Jul-2017

Received Appointment for Biometrics Notice

26-Jul-2017

Received RFE Notice (I-130A. Somehow lawyer forgot to send it together with AOS package). Sent the I-130A on Sept 28.

3-Aug-2017

Did Biometrics

8-Aug-2017

RFE (I-130A) was received by USCIS

11-Sep-2017

Called USICS to expedite EAD

12-Sep-2017

USCIS: Expedite request was assigned to an officer. Referral ID: T1*****.

We sent a response to your request to have your case expedited.

Another update: your request to have your case expedited was completed

18-Sep-2017

Called USCIS regarding the expedited case status. Told me they sent an email requesting proof of severe financial loss on September 13. But I did not get the email. So turned out there was a misunderstanding in communication. Officer whom I spoke with on Sept 11 misspelled my email address.

20-Sep-2017

Sent a fax asking for congressman’s help regarding EAD case.

29-Sept-2017              Checked my EAD’s status. Got a new update: New Card is Being Produced. “On                                                    September 29, 2017, we ordered your new card for Receipt Number MSC***, and will                                          mail it to the address you gave us.

I have couple of questions:

1.      How long does it take to get my EAD card after this update? Does it mean my Travel document is approved as well? I plan to travel at the end of December so I am a little bit worried if it’s not approved.

2.      Do you think my I-485 process reset to August 8th? And does it mean my AOS is approved? I have not received any updates for I-130 and I-131 (Last update: Case was Received) and the last update for I-485 is Response To USCIS' Request For Evidence Was Received.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country:
Timeline
21 minutes ago, asprila94 said:

Hello everyone,

I am currently on F-1 OPT. OPT expires October 13, 2017. On March 2017, I married a U.S. citizen. We filed AOS package and Travel documents on June 30, 2017 at NBC.

Here’s my timeline:

30-Jun-2017

Filed AOS package and Travel Document

5-Jul-2017

USCIS received fingerprint fee for I-485

6-Jul-2017

Received I-797 Receipt Notices

15-Jul-2017

Received Appointment for Biometrics Notice

26-Jul-2017

Received RFE Notice (I-130A. Somehow lawyer forgot to send it together with AOS package). Sent the I-130A on Sept 28.

3-Aug-2017

Did Biometrics

8-Aug-2017

RFE (I-130A) was received by USCIS

11-Sep-2017

Called USICS to expedite EAD

12-Sep-2017

USCIS: Expedite request was assigned to an officer. Referral ID: T1*****.

We sent a response to your request to have your case expedited.

Another update: your request to have your case expedited was completed

18-Sep-2017

Called USCIS regarding the expedited case status. Told me they sent an email requesting proof of severe financial loss on September 13. But I did not get the email. So turned out there was a misunderstanding in communication. Officer whom I spoke with on Sept 11 misspelled my email address.

20-Sep-2017

Sent a fax asking for congressman’s help regarding EAD case.

29-Sept-2017              Checked my EAD’s status. Got a new update: New Card is Being Produced. “On                                                    September 29, 2017, we ordered your new card for Receipt Number MSC***, and will                                          mail it to the address you gave us.

I have couple of questions:

1.      How long does it take to get my EAD card after this update? Does it mean my Travel document is approved as well? I plan to travel at the end of December so I am a little bit worried if it’s not approved.

2.      Do you think my I-485 process reset to August 8th? And does it mean my AOS is approved? I have not received any updates for I-130 and I-131 (Last update: Case was Received) and the last update for I-485 is Response To USCIS' Request For Evidence Was Received.

It means your EAD/AP card is approved and you should get it roughly within two weeks or less.  Your I-485 was NOT approved but was paused because of the RFE. Most I-130 filed concurrently with I-485 will be approved on the day of interview(provided your case was approved by the IO). The processing time for your I-485 depends on the field office handling your case. Right now I would suggest you concentrate on just working and waiting patiently. 

Good luck

4 hours ago, AAA0914 said:

Hey! Thanks for your response. If I may ask, is your spouse an american citizen? 

And I see that your J-1 is for exchange student. My J-1 is for teacher-exchange. 

Precisely! I still have time in graduation which is why my lawyer and school emphasized that I keep my J-1 intact so that my degree remains unaffected.

Yes, to your question: he's a USC. 

Dec 2020 filers spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1krjUsYJAXqbDIuNL0y9UY2uOcBt5dr1Ji1jdbO63Dj0/edit?usp=sharing

USCIS journey so far:

Spoiler

N-400

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
On 10/2/2017 at 3:36 PM, sweetadams said:

It means your EAD/AP card is approved and you should get it roughly within two weeks or less.  Your I-485 was NOT approved but was paused because of the RFE. Most I-130 filed concurrently with I-485 will be approved on the day of interview(provided your case was approved by the IO). The processing time for your I-485 depends on the field office handling your case. Right now I would suggest you concentrate on just working and waiting patiently. 

Good luck

I received my approval notice on October 5th for the EAD and Travel Document. Then the next day, I got the combo card! YAY! 

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: F-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 10/2/2017 at 3:29 PM, strider4 said:

Precisely! I still have time in graduation which is why my lawyer and school emphasized that I keep my J-1 intact so that my degree remains unaffected.

Yes, to your question: he's a USC. 

hello,

Have you heard back about your case  from any of the officers.

22 hours ago, Abhi138 said:

hello,

Have you heard back about your case  from any of the officers.

I was able to put in a Service Request online after the 180 day mark, but the SR still hasn't been assigned to any officer yet. And my status is still the same: "Fingerprint fee received". Calling them is of no use at all, they parrot back the same information that we already know.

How about you? 

USCIS journey so far:

Spoiler

N-400

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country:
Timeline
16 minutes ago, strider4 said:

I was able to put in a Service Request online after the 180 day mark, but the SR still hasn't been assigned to any officer yet. And my status is still the same: "Fingerprint fee received". Calling them is of no use at all, they parrot back the same information that we already know.

How about you? 

Did you ask to speak with a tier 2 officer?

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 10/27/2017 at 11:39 AM, strider4 said:

How about you? 

Same here but eventually I was able to speak to a tier 2 officer. She was very polite and even took a few minutes to go over my case and told me that my case was still at NBC and pending background checks. According to her AOS cases generally take about 9-12 months to be processed and asked me to call back in December to verify the status of the case. I'll wait until December to raise a SR online.

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I have a question for all J1 filers who *weren't* held to the 2 year home rule. 

Submitting an application with my husband, who is on a J1 with no home rule, and it says so on his visa. I'm assuming that the fact that is says this on his visa is the "proof" that he isn't eligible for this correct?   Just want to make sure we aren't missing something.  We have his DS2019 to submit as well, but he had lost his original DS2019 earlier this year and had to get it replaced, so the copy doesn't have the box checked for whether the 2 year rule applies or doesn't apply.   But I'm hoping that because it says it on his Visa that should be good enough?
Thanks for your help!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline
8 minutes ago, SnowFox505 said:

I have a question for all J1 filers who *weren't* held to the 2 year home rule. 

Submitting an application with my husband, who is on a J1 with no home rule, and it says so on his visa. I'm assuming that the fact that is says this on his visa is the "proof" that he isn't eligible for this correct?   Just want to make sure we aren't missing something.  We have his DS2019 to submit as well, but he had lost his original DS2019 earlier this year and had to get it replaced, so the copy doesn't have the box checked for whether the 2 year rule applies or doesn't apply.   But I'm hoping that because it says it on his Visa that should be good enough?
Thanks for your help!!

Where is his funding coming from? UK isn't on the skills list so you're safe on that side.

If funding is private (university or his own) he shouldn't be subject. If there's government funding (from either government) he might be. If he's Fullbright he definitely is.

J-1 212 Residency Requirement Waiver                                                                    Removal of Conditions

08/22/2016 Advisory opinion request                                                                      07/01/2019 Package sent (I-751)

09/30/2016 Finding letter sent *subject*                                                                 07/03/2019 Package received at Pheonix, AZ Lockbox

09/30/2016 Documents received by DOS                                                                07/10/2019 Text notification of Case received, WAC#

12/13/2016 NOS Letter received                                                                               07/12/2019 Received NOA, 18 month extension letter.

01/25/2017 Favorable Recommendation Sent                                                        01/27/2020 Biometrics taken, Pomona CA

02/02/2017 Case received by USCIS                                                                         08/14/2020 Case transferred to NBC

02/2017 Married!                                                                                                            04/02/2021 Interview scheduled

05/17/2017 Approval notice received                                                                       05/10/2021 Interview at San Bernardino office

05/11/2021 Case approved

Adjustment Of Status from J-1                                                                                     N-400

05/08/2017 Package sent (I-130, I-485 and I-765)                                                   06/28/2020 Applied Online

05/11/2017 Package received at Chicago Lockbox                                                 07/06/2020 Received NOA

05/18/2017 NOA received with case numbers via mail                                           12/14/2020 Biometrics Reuse Notice

06/06/2017 Had biometrics appointment in Pomona, CA                                       04/02/2021 Interview scheduled

08/07/2017 Sent an online service request on I-765                                                05/10/2021 Interview at San Bernardino office/Decision cannot be made because of I-751 pending

08/17/2017 Letter in the mail saying case still under review                                  05/17/2021 Case recommended for approved, submitted for quality review

08/23/2017 Scheduled for an interview                                                                      05/17/2021 Oath Ceremony will be scheduled

08/26/2017 Sent second SR on I-765                                                                          06/25/2021 Oath Ceremony, San Bernardino Office

08/26/2017 EAD New Card is Being Produced

08/29/2017 EAD card was mailed to me

08/31/2017 EAD card received in the mail

09/25/2017  Interview at San Bernardino office/GC approved

09/25/2017 GC is being produced

09/28/2017 GC was mailed to me

09/30/2017 GC received in the mail

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
1 minute ago, tamaara said:

Where is his funding coming from? UK isn't on the skills list so you're safe on that side.

He is on a J1 Trainee visa, working for a private company in marketing, receiving a salary. No Government funding.  Since his visa says on it "no 2 year required"  I'm just making sure that by submitting a copy of the visa, that's good enough to show that it isn't applicable. Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.