Marzena & Stephen

K1 Visa - CANADA Police Information Check Application - for interview

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

I am trying to gather as much information as I can prior to receiving my NOA2 for a K1 Visa. (which should be in the next couple of weeks I am hoping)

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the below questions?  FYI - I do not have a criminal record.

1. Can I get the police check in advance?

2. Does the police check have an expiry date on it?

3. Do I check off immigration on the top of the form?

4. What do I write under who is requesting the Police Information Check ? It is asking "which employer, volunteer organization, post secondary institution etc. is requesting police information check"

The form I am filling out is attached if that helps :)

On a side note : Is it true that I need to obtain my fiancé's original birth certificate to bring to the interview?

Any other information that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Marzena

Police Information Check Application.pdf

1) you should  they're valid for 1 year from obtaining it.

2) see above

3) depends on where you get it?  I didn't on mine but htat was a while ago

4) US government? US consulate?  

Can you include screen shots from now on, people shouldn't be downloading PDF files to help you. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello, 

Processing time are fast when submitted electronically

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/processing-time-criminal-record-and-vulnerable-sector-checks

but if it is valid for a year why wait ...  ;) 

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I actually ended up going to a police check spot in edmonton ..they do on the spot police name checks (across canada/criminal record) it took about an hour and 15 minutes but i walked out with the paperwork in hand. I can confirm it is valid for 1 year. They only asked what it was for and charged $70 canadian. (Note: i did not have a criminal record so i did not do finger prints..however they did also have that option) it is nice to have this in advance! 

12 hours ago, Marzena & Stephen said:

I actually ended up going to a police check spot in edmonton ..they do on the spot police name checks (across canada/criminal record) it took about an hour and 15 minutes but i walked out with the paperwork in hand. I can confirm it is valid for 1 year. They only asked what it was for and charged $70 canadian. (Note: i did not have a criminal record so i did not do finger prints..however they did also have that option) it is nice to have this in advance! 

Can confirm - did the exact same thing (Edmonton actually has a special station for document processing). Paid the fee and walked home 15 minutes later with the necessary document. I believe the requirement is such that the document needs to list that CPIC database was checked and no hits came back. If it returned something - a fingerprint check through RCMP is required. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Id do it as soon as possible. The one I got done in Winnipeg cost 45 and took 8.5 weeks (yes, 2 months and a week) to receive. Mine does not have an expiry, but Id say valid for a year seems reasonable. Apparently lots of people using the police system in Manitoba LOL. It sounds like processing times vary wildly across Canada, so better to look into it at your local office sooner than later. 

AOS from K1 Timeline:

Spoiler

10/25/2017 -Mailed AOS packet including I-485, I-765, I-131 via USPS
10/27/2017 -Packet arrived at USCIS Chicago Lockbox

11/01/2017 -Priority Date
11/02/2017 -SMS Confirmation
11/06/2017 -NOA I-797 received for all 3

12/01/2017 -Went to scheduled biometrics appt
01/09/2018 -Receipt available online: AoS finally updated, EAD/AP still getting "Case number invalid" 

01/09/2018 - AoS is marked ready for interview to be scheduled. waiting for date.

02/02/2018 -Receive Paper approval notices for EAD/AP. Day 94. Receipt numbers FINALLY updated from invalid to approved lol.

02/07/2018 - Receive EAD/AP combo card in the mail. Day 99

30/07/2018 - Received notice of appointment for AoS interview scheduled 9/12

12/9/2018 - Had AoS interview and was approved! Day 320

Timeline
8 minutes ago, LittleLeaf said:

Id do it as soon as possible. The one I got done in Winnipeg cost 45 and took 8.5 weeks (yes, 2 months and a week) to receive. Mine does not have an expiry, but Id say valid for a year seems reasonable. Apparently lots of people using the police system in Manitoba LOL. It sounds like processing times vary wildly across Canada, so better to look into it at your local office sooner than later. 

I already went i guess we have a different system where we can get it on the spot ! Wow 8.5 weeks is crazy! Good to know for others who are reading this i guess! 

22 hours ago, LittleLeaf said:

Oh wow but I know that's true because my brother just had his done from the Winnipeg Police for a job. I am going to the RCMP office in the town where I work in southern Manitoba next week to get mine done. The lady on the phone told me that because I was just having a regular criminal check it would be only be a couple weeks at the most because its all done electronically. We will see if that is what happens when I go. LOL Not sure of the fee yet. lol

• 4 months later...
On 6/30/2017 at 10:19 AM, sv3tka said:

Can confirm - did the exact same thing (Edmonton actually has a special station for document processing). Paid the fee and walked home 15 minutes later with the necessary document. I believe the requirement is such that the document needs to list that CPIC database was checked and no hits came back. If it returned something - a fingerprint check through RCMP is required. 

Where in Edmonton did you go?!

Timeline
15 minutes ago, capavasi said:

Where in Edmonton did you go?!

police information check. Its on the west end. I suggest going at least 1 hr prior to closing..it is busy so expect 1-1.5 hr wait but it is immediate so thats nice.

Just now, Marzena & Stephen said:
police information check. Its on the west end. I suggest going at least 1 hr prior to closing..it is busy so expect 1-1.5 hr wait but it is immediate so thats nice.

And they do not require fingerprints?! I tried getting mine taken while I was visiting my fiancé in the US but I have terrible prints and they couldn’t get them with ink and paper OR live scan. 

Also what documents would I need to bring to this place?!

Timeline
8 minutes ago, capavasi said:

And they do not require fingerprints?! I tried getting mine taken while I was visiting my fiancé in the US but I have terrible prints and they couldn’t get them with ink and paper OR live scan. 

Also what documents would I need to bring to this place?!

I didnt have a criminal record so i didnt need to get my finger prints taken but if you have had a criminal record than yes they will take prints. That being said everywhere will if you have a record.

Some people get a hit in their name because their name or bday etc is alike a criminal so they take prints in order to ensure that they will never get a hit on their name again. A hit just means they have to investigate before clearing you on paper. 

Mine was easy i just said what it was for. Waited than got called up paid and got the paper. 

As for documents i cant remember at the moment 

Here is the website http://www.edmontonpolice.ca/CommunityPolicing/OperationalServices/PoliceInformationCheck.aspx

Edited by Marzena & Stephen

3 minutes ago, Marzena & Stephen said:

I didnt have a criminal record so i didnt need to get my finger prints taken but if you have had a criminal record than yes they will take prints. That being said everywhere will if you have a record.

Some people get a hit in their name because their name or bday etc is alike a criminal so they take prints in order to ensure that they will never get a hit on their name again. A hit just means they have to investigate before clearing you on paper. 

Mine was easy i just said what it was for. Waited than got called up paid and got the paper. 

As for documents i cant remember at the moment 

Here is the website http://www.edmontonpolice.ca/CommunityPolicing/OperationalServices/PoliceInformationCheck.aspx

Okay great! How much did this cost you?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.