MXcompadre

Form DS-5535 'SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONS FOR VISA APPLICANTS'

3,894 posts in this topic

I thought I would go ahead and reply to this thread since all of you are asking for answers, and no one who got it a long time ago has answered so far.

My husband had his interview Nov. 29 of 2017. It went fine, and just like you guys, he was asked to fill out DS-5535. He promptly went home, filled it and got it emailed back to them the same day as they had asked. 

He's been in AP ever since. We've reached out to congressmen, senators and I've even gone as far as contacting the Bureau of Counselor Affairs (which is in charge of all visa stuff) at the State Department. So far the only confirmation we got is that it's security related and you have to wait it out. There's no time frame and nothing we can do. And we don't even know why it's in AP. 

I remember back when he interviewed, that was the first time that really more people started talking about this new form. And when he went, most of the people he met there were asked to fill it. Too bad he doesn't have their contact info so we can find out if they got approved yet or not. 

We're husband and wife, married for years, and we've been waiting nearly two years to live together again. I go back to visit when I can, but with America being so far and not getting long vacations over here it has been extremely difficult. 

So all in all, it's been like 7 months or so since he was first put in AP. I pray it comes to an end soon and he can get his visa. 

On 6/5/2018 at 10:15 AM, S.S said:

I have heard not to contact the senator/congressman as it can further delay the process. Today marks 3 months since my interview, completely cluesless and helpless.

I've heard nonsense like that too but about lawyers and writing the embassy for case updates. Bare in mind that I've never heard this from any reputable source. It's always that someone heard that someone said that someone said one time at an embassy. 

Here's my opinion: Even if that is the case, with as many people are experiencing issues with this...let them receive the letters. It's one thing to think it may make your case take longer, but if you're case is already taking a year under review and possibly longer with no end in sight? I say get EVERYONE to write them about their case! 

In fact, here is an address where you can write the Bureau of Counselor Affairs at the state department. It's not listed on their site. It's where all of the embassy/visa stuff is issued. Not only write the embassy and get your congressman involved..but write the head office themselves letting them know about the situation and lengthiness of your case. Ask for answers:

Attn: Bureau of Counselor Affairs

RM 6826,  2201 C Street Northwest dc 20520

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
9 hours ago, EmilyK said:

I've heard nonsense like that too but about lawyers and writing the embassy for case updates. Bare in mind that I've never heard this from any reputable source. It's always that someone heard that someone said that someone said one time at an embassy. 

Here's my opinion: Even if that is the case, with as many people are experiencing issues with this...let them receive the letters. It's one thing to think it may make your case take longer, but if you're case is already taking a year under review and possibly longer with no end in sight? I say get EVERYONE to write them about their case! 

In fact, here is an address where you can write the Bureau of Counselor Affairs at the state department. It's not listed on their site. It's where all of the embassy/visa stuff is issued. Not only write the embassy and get your congressman involved..but write the head office themselves letting them know about the situation and lengthiness of your case. Ask for answers:

Attn: Bureau of Counselor Affairs

RM 6826,  2201 C Street Northwest dc 20520

Thanks for the info. My husband and I are in the same situation like you guys. Its very hard for me to take off and when I go for visit, its just for 2 weeks which makes us more depressed. He's been in AP for 5 months after interview :( 

12 hours ago, EmilyK said:

I thought I would go ahead and reply to this thread since all of you are asking for answers, and no one who got it a long time ago has answered so far.

My husband had his interview Nov. 29 of 2017. It went fine, and just like you guys, he was asked to fill out DS-5535. He promptly went home, filled it and got it emailed back to them the same day as they had asked. 

He's been in AP ever since. We've reached out to congressmen, senators and I've even gone as far as contacting the Bureau of Counselor Affairs (which is in charge of all visa stuff) at the State Department. So far the only confirmation we got is that it's security related and you have to wait it out. There's no time frame and nothing we can do. And we don't even know why it's in AP. 

I remember back when he interviewed, that was the first time that really more people started talking about this new form. And when he went, most of the people he met there were asked to fill it. Too bad he doesn't have their contact info so we can find out if they got approved yet or not. 

We're husband and wife, married for years, and we've been waiting nearly two years to live together again. I go back to visit when I can, but with America being so far and not getting long vacations over here it has been extremely difficult. 

So all in all, it's been like 7 months or so since he was first put in AP. I pray it comes to an end soon and he can get his visa. 

Yeah, it's horrible. My fiancee had already started to transition to the US on her visitor visa because we were naive on how long this all takes. At the time I applied as petitioner it was only 4-5 months total wait time, hearing from other people from her country. It's been 16 months now since I applied for the i-129f/K1. And about 9 months on AP. To make the issue worse, my fiancee can't find a job since she's in the process of leaving and unknown how long she will be around.

I've been traveling back and forth last 9 months and racking up my miles. But damn, it gets expensive. I own my own business now so my time is even more limited for travel.

I am a naturalized US citizen waiting my Moroccan fiancee's i129f visa. Applied Feb 2017. She has been in AP since Oct 2017

*UPDATE* Fiancee received i-129f visa and returned passport Nov 2018. 411 days of AP.

Please feel free to add your information to the spreadsheet below. It may help us with extra data points for those under extreme vetting. Please do not add personal info as the document is public. Do not edit any other info except your own. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1agwbg4go7ID6wnoNg-mN2qOI_ErRQN1lO1BUzOUKkTs/edit?usp=sharing

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline
4 hours ago, Khan1985 said:

What type of visa you applied for?

Dear members!

i have been following all your comments since December 2017.

And have received guidance from VJ throughout the month..

just a brief description for the new comers!

my parents went through an interview 3rd of Jan 2018 At Islamabad.

My father has to submit Ds 5535..

and got his visa in 30 days after submitting Ds 5535.

while my mom was still in Ap.

She hasn’t got any questionarre nor got any request for ducoments.

today after 5 and Half month later she got her visa.

My understanding is US embassies are unpredictable.

you can’t say when ?

Ds takes 1 month to 12 months ( never know)

please stay calm and email them every now and then.

My mom visa was issued in 5+ months without any reason for AP...

and my father visa was issued in A month even he has to go through DS5535.

thanks for assistance..

May you get good news soon...

fingers crossed

Edited by Saeed khn

6 minutes ago, Saeed khn said:

Dear members!

you can’t say when ?

thanks for assistance..

fingers crossed

Congrats Saeed 🙂

16 minutes ago, Saeed khn said:

Dear members!

you can’t say when ?

thanks for assistance..

fingers crossed

Congrats saeed khn. Please remember us in your prayers as well. I am close to 9 months since i submitted the DS 5535 form. I applied for a non immigrant visa in Karachi.

6 hours ago, Saeed khn said:

Dear members!

you can’t say when ?

thanks for assistance..

fingers crossed

Congrats to you n your mother💗

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
3 hours ago, Mia12392 said:

Islamabad Embassy, Immigrant Visa. 

Don't worry it takes time there we waited 10 months after our interview to be issued and that was after a first denial. I emailed and called everyone for help all you can do is wait. Once you get the new medical email you will know its near. Pakistan is tough but in the end you will be issued

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
17 hours ago, Renee2016 said:

Don't worry it takes time there we waited 10 months after our interview to be issued and that was after a first denial. I emailed and called everyone for help all you can do is wait. Once you get the new medical email you will know its near. Pakistan is tough but in the end you will be issued

Thank you for the encouragement. This helps a lot. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.