MXcompadre

Form DS-5535 'SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONS FOR VISA APPLICANTS'

3,894 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sierra Leone
Timeline
7 hours ago, letitgo said:

What’s the gover Shutdown can you please explain more thanks 

The government shutdown is when senate and congress can’t come to a budget agreement. Last time it happened was in 2013. Some workers will be out of work, making things go a little slow, but no real panics as far as people not receiving visas...just a little slowness which has been going on for a while. I heard the people who will be affected are B1, F1, and diversity visas, but not family based visas as their budgets are implemented through the application fees

11 minutes ago, Tarsha said:

The government shutdown is when senate and congress can’t come to a budget agreement. Last time it happened was in 2013. Some workers will be out of work, making things go a little slow, but no real panics as far as people not receiving visas...just a little slowness which has been going on for a while. I heard the people who will be affected are B1, F1, and diversity visas, but not family based visas as their budgets are implemented through the application fees

I guess Gov shutdown will affect those visa applications that are still not arrived to NVC. They are still with USCIS. Because the ones with NVC are under consular's consideration or may be under security checks in USA. We have been interviewed and our passports are with NVC. Waiting for final visa stamp... We are at final stages.. Allah will be with all of us.. Just pray and hope for the best that this shutdown wont affect us.

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Shazyyo said:

I guess Gov shutdown will affect those visa applications that are still not arrived to NVC. They are still with USCIS. Because the ones with NVC are under consular's consideration or may be under security checks in USA. We have been interviewed and our passports are with NVC. Waiting for final visa stamp... We are at final stages.. Allah will be with all of us.. Just pray and hope for the best that this shutdown wont affect us.

Hopefully the shutdown is not long! The decision they couldn’t come to agreement on was the DACA program! 

Timeline
18 hours ago, Tarsha said:

Yeah, I heard that too...the budget already is covered for USCIS, DOS, and Embassy consulars 

The only problem is, AP is where we are all at, and AP goes through many government agencies for review. There is no way for us to know for sure if some of the agencies involved in that process would be affected or not. If they are all of our cases could go into a holding pattern until Congress can come to an agreement and the government gets back up and running again. If there is a shut down, each agency will be playing catch up from the shut down along with dealing with the case loads they already had. 😕

DEAB

14 minutes ago, deab said:

The only problem is, AP is where we are all at, and AP goes through many government agencies for review. There is no way for us to know for sure if some of the agencies involved in that process would be affected or not. If they are all of our cases could go into a holding pattern until Congress can come to an agreement and the government gets back up and running again. If there is a shut down, each agency will be playing catch up from the shut down along with dealing with the case loads they already had. 😕

I am a US federal employee, although not with DOS or USCIS, overall vibe is that all of the non-emergency/non-essential employees will not be working until the budget is resolved. I am assuming issuing visas and running background checks is not something that is critical for US operations and thus would be halted unless they have their budget allocated already, which is very rare for the government. Regardless, usually the shutdowns do not last that long. And it is still likely that things resolve over the weekend. If not, it will definitely affect all of those who are pending investigation from the US.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
On 25/9/2017 at 6:00 AM, Tarsha said:

Hopefully this form goes away. It expires November 29th and hopefully if they decide to keep it, it'll be apart of the original documentation submitted and not after an interview. US citizens do have until October 2nd to respond on a forum to the Department of State about this form if anyone is interested. Hopefully soon, everyone is approved 

On 30/11/2017 at 1:01 AM, 99balloons said:

IR1 spouse visa updated today Dakar, Senegal... Hopefully DS-5535 will expire tomorrow (didn't see any US news that it is being renewed) and our cases will keep moving.

Hi everyone,

Have people been getting the DS-5535 recently (Dec or Jan) even though it expired at the end of November? Or was it renewed?

October 2011: Met in Spain

2012-2014: Video chat + visas + visits and vacations = we made it through!

June 2014: Moved to Spain, got engaged 

December 31, 2015: got married

April 20, 2016: sent I130 package

May 2, 2016: package received in Chicago Lockbox - - - 12 days for delivery!! Don't use TNT couriers!! 

May 2nd or 5th, 2016: email NOA1... accepted and sent to.... NEBRASKA 

And now.... breeeeeeathe..... be like water my friend....

October 26th, 2016: NOA2 [We had waited almost 6 months. Received notification from the phone app, never got an email.]

November 9th 2016: USCIS sent the petition to NVC (app notification) [waited 2 weeks after approval for this]

November 25th 2016: NVC received and created account for our petition [waited 16 days after USCIS sent it, for NVC to acknowledge receipt]

Dec 1st 2016: Chose agent online DS261 [a few days later than it could've been since the above NVC email went to SPAM!]

Dec 6th 2016: Case available for paying fees. That was fast, I think! 5 days!

Took a long time to get package out because... life... and husband's family in Morocco had to travel to get police document.

Feb 20th 2017: Scan date at NVC, received weird email.

April 28th 2017: CHECKLIST. Moroccans are required to send a Court Report regardless of Police Record status. My husband had to go back to Morocco to get it in person. Also, NVC wants a 2016 tax return now that is 2017. My bad.

September 15th 2017: 2nd Scan Date at NVC. Sent for document review October 20th.

Nov 10th 2017: Email requesting document be brought to interview. Will schedule interview.

Case complete date??: TBD :clock:.... November 8th!!

Interview date : January 18, 2018!!           Result: Administrative Processing      :mellow:

Embassy called for new medical last week of August. New Medical Sept 10.

Visa ISSUED September 14, 2018. :blink:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
25 minutes ago, SabrinaJerome said:

Hi everyone,

Have people been getting the DS-5535 recently (Dec or Jan) even though it expired at the end of November? Or was it renewed?

What’s all this for I didn’t get it

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

This form, DS-5535, is what many on this thread are talking about, because it has put them into Administrative Processing, and many are waiting for months with no information.

The DS-5535 is a form that has been given to visa applicants at their interview, and asks for supplementary information about their family, their travels, their social media names and email addresses, etc.

I am asking whether it was renewed since it was supposed to be valid only from May through November 2017.

October 2011: Met in Spain

2012-2014: Video chat + visas + visits and vacations = we made it through!

June 2014: Moved to Spain, got engaged 

December 31, 2015: got married

April 20, 2016: sent I130 package

May 2, 2016: package received in Chicago Lockbox - - - 12 days for delivery!! Don't use TNT couriers!! 

May 2nd or 5th, 2016: email NOA1... accepted and sent to.... NEBRASKA 

And now.... breeeeeeathe..... be like water my friend....

October 26th, 2016: NOA2 [We had waited almost 6 months. Received notification from the phone app, never got an email.]

November 9th 2016: USCIS sent the petition to NVC (app notification) [waited 2 weeks after approval for this]

November 25th 2016: NVC received and created account for our petition [waited 16 days after USCIS sent it, for NVC to acknowledge receipt]

Dec 1st 2016: Chose agent online DS261 [a few days later than it could've been since the above NVC email went to SPAM!]

Dec 6th 2016: Case available for paying fees. That was fast, I think! 5 days!

Took a long time to get package out because... life... and husband's family in Morocco had to travel to get police document.

Feb 20th 2017: Scan date at NVC, received weird email.

April 28th 2017: CHECKLIST. Moroccans are required to send a Court Report regardless of Police Record status. My husband had to go back to Morocco to get it in person. Also, NVC wants a 2016 tax return now that is 2017. My bad.

September 15th 2017: 2nd Scan Date at NVC. Sent for document review October 20th.

Nov 10th 2017: Email requesting document be brought to interview. Will schedule interview.

Case complete date??: TBD :clock:.... November 8th!!

Interview date : January 18, 2018!!           Result: Administrative Processing      :mellow:

Embassy called for new medical last week of August. New Medical Sept 10.

Visa ISSUED September 14, 2018. :blink:

Timeline
2 hours ago, SabrinaJerome said:

This form, DS-5535, is what many on this thread are talking about, because it has put them into Administrative Processing, and many are waiting for months with no information.

The DS-5535 is a form that has been given to visa applicants at their interview, and asks for supplementary information about their family, their travels, their social media names and email addresses, etc.

I am asking whether it was renewed since it was supposed to be valid only from May through November 2017.

I saw a recent post on this thread the other day that the poster’s dad received it after the interview. If I’m not mistaken, the interview was January 3rd. 

19 hours ago, Tarsha said:

I saw a recent post on this thread the other day that the poster’s dad received it after the interview. If I’m not mistaken, the interview was January 3rd. 

Yes. My dad was requested to fill out a form that is identical to DS-5535 after his interview on Jan 3rd. Even if the form is not in use "officially", I am assuming it is still being requested. Either way, it is causing the cases to slow down. 

No update since I sent the DS-5535 via email. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
On 10/01/2018 at 4:08 AM, deab said:

Hi all,

My husband had his interview July 21 and submitted his completed DS-5535 on August 2nd. Our case has been touched about 5 or 6 times since that time with the last file touch being Nov 1st. Tonight I sent an email to both CasaAdminProcess@state.gov and IVCasablanca@state.gov, cc’ing our attorney asking if they could provide an eta to the completion of The additional processing period and to let them know we are still looking forward to his arrival home to us in the United States. Has anyone else been in this process for this length of time? I’m fully expecting his arrival home very soon. If Inknew the date of his arrival this wait could be so easy but it’s the unknown that makes it so challenging. 

Hi... any update?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.