Rsul96

A question about regarding tax returns (and W-2s) on my I-864.

31 posts in this topic

So, on I-864 it requests 3 tax returns from the previous 3 years. I have only been working for the previous 2 years. Should I say that I did not file for the 3rd year (2014) or no?

What I mean is this...

Can I file it like this -

Did you file taxes for the previous 3 work years - No

2016 - $28,000

2015 - $21,000

2014 - Zero

Could I do this, or would I be better of only supplying my most recent year (Which had the most income by far ~$8,000 more), or should I supply 2016 and 2015 only and make note of why 2014 is zero, but not supply any documentation about it.

Then in the additional information boxes on P.12 I just fill in why it was not filed (Because I did not have any income), or would I be required to submit proof that I had no income on the 3rd year?

Also, my mother will be the joint sponsor but she files jointly with my father. Will this be an issue if she puts a copy of their joint tax return and her W-2s? Also, my mother and father have not yet filed their 2016 tax returns... Should they just use the 2015 tax returns or will they have to use 2014 and 2015 instead.

It also requests form 1099 from the IRS, but neither of us have/received one. My father is a business owner and says neither of us should have one since our employers pay our taxes for us. Is this correct?

And a final question, perhaps more suitable for a different thread but. On my form I-130, I may have put "N/A" in some numerical fields instead of "None" or "Zero". Should I re-do the entire form or should I just leave it as is?

Edited by Rsul96

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

he's not correct

the employer files the companies taxes, but each employee files his own taxes, that's why the employees at the beginning of the year receive a W2 with the total amount earned and the amount discounted from income for social security, benefits, etc

I'm an employee and I received a W2 to file my taxes. if you aren't an employee but self employed or a contractor, you will receive a 1099 from the company or companies you worked with during the year

you have to write a letter explaining why you didn't have to file taxes

1 hour ago, aleful said:

he's not correct

the employer files the companies taxes, but each employee files his own taxes, that's why the employees at the beginning of the year receive a W2 with the total amount earned and the amount discounted from income for social security, benefits, etc

I'm an employee and I received a W2 to file my taxes. if you aren't an employee but self employed or a contractor, you will receive a 1099 from the company or companies you worked with during the year

you have to write a letter explaining why you didn't have to file taxes

I get that, but my mother and I do not have Form 1099's. Should we have them or will our W-2's be sufficient to show our incomes?

Just now, Rsul96 said:

I get that, but my mother and I do not have Form 1099's. Should we have them or will our W-2's be sufficient to show our incomes?

Both forms are evidence of income. Whichever ones you have, you should include. Wage employees would only have a W2.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

6 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Both forms are evidence of income. Whichever ones you have, you should include. Wage employees would only have a W2.

Okay thank you so much.

And should I redo my I-130 with "Zero" in place of the numerical sections where I put "N/A"?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

exactly

you have one or the other, if you are employed you get the W2s

if you are a contractor or self employed you will receive the 1099

one or the other

10 minutes ago, Rsul96 said:

Okay thank you so much.

And should I redo my I-130 with "Zero" in place of the numerical sections where I put "N/A"?

The instructions say to put "None" if a numerical answer is expected but the answer is zero. However, I believe you cannot actually type any characters into some of those fields on the form (thanks, USCIS! :bonk:). So I would either put the number 0 or write them in by hand.

Note that some forms (notably the I-864) must be either completely filled in electronically or completely filled in by hand since they utilize a 2D barcode of the typed data. Any handwritten data on an otherwise electronically-entered form is likely to be missed.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-130instr.pdf
"Answer all questions fully and accurately. If a question does not apply to you (for example, if you have never been married and the question asks, “Provide the name of your current spouse”), type or print “N/A,” unless otherwise directed. If your answer to a question which requires a numeric response is zero or none (for example, “How many children do you have” or “How many times have you departed the United States”), type or print “None,” unless otherwise directed."

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
46 minutes ago, geowrian said:

The instructions say to put "None" if a numerical answer is expected but the answer is zero. However, I believe you cannot actually type any characters into some of those fields on the form (thanks, USCIS! :bonk:). So I would either put the number 0 or write them in by hand.

Note that some forms (notably the I-864) must be either completely filled in electronically or completely filled in by hand since they utilize a 2D barcode of the typed data. Any handwritten data on an otherwise electronically-entered form is likely to be missed.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-130instr.pdf
"Answer all questions fully and accurately. If a question does not apply to you (for example, if you have never been married and the question asks, “Provide the name of your current spouse”), type or print “N/A,” unless otherwise directed. If your answer to a question which requires a numeric response is zero or none (for example, “How many children do you have” or “How many times have you departed the United States”), type or print “None,” unless otherwise directed."

geowrian, Do we have to Fill I- 864 with Capitol Letters

Just now, pghknr said:

geowrian, Do we have to Fill I- 864 with Capitol Letters

No.You can, but it's not required.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Sending IRS tax transcript would be sufficient without the need of W-2. "

If you provide a photocopy of your Federal individual income tax returns, you must include a copy of each and every

Form W-2 and Form 1099 that relates to your returns. Do not include copies of these forms if you provide an IRS

transcript of your Federal individual income tax returns rather than a photocopy unless you filed a joint income tax return

with your spouse and are qualifying using only your income."

Individually, if you have filed married separately you can request IRS transcript without having to send copy of W2 or 1099. I, for example, have filed joint with my wife, but only my salary is qualified so I had to send copies of my W-2. Refer to the link below for more help:

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864instr.pdf

In your parent case. Since they filed joint and you are only using your mom as a sponsor then they would require her W-2 and 1099.

As of the year you did not file your taxes you would have to attach a letter articulating the reasons.

Good Luck

Edited by zizou2017

Timeline
25 minutes ago, zizou2017 said:

Sending IRS tax transcript would be sufficient without the need of W-2. "

If you provide a photocopy of your Federal individual income tax returns, you must include a copy of each and every

Form W-2 and Form 1099 that relates to your returns. Do not include copies of these forms if you provide an IRS

transcript of your Federal individual income tax returns rather than a photocopy unless you filed a joint income tax return

with your spouse and are qualifying using only your income."

Individually, if you have filed married separately you can request IRS transcript without having to send copy of W2 or 1099. I, for example, have filed joint with my wife, but only my salary is qualified so I had to send copies of my W-2. Refer to the link below for more help:

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864instr.pdf

Good Luck

Well Said ..What If Joint Sponsor(Trans-Scripts & W2 his Income ) submits I-864,

Tax Filing Jointly and  his Income sufficient to support Beneficiary..

Does he need to submit his spouse I-864A ?

Timeline

In some cases couples decide to use beneficiary assets (bank cash, investments...) only as a way for sponsorship. The beneficiary income is rarely used because in most cases it is not continuous, meaning once the beneficiary moves to the United States he/she will give up her job, unless otherwise.

Edited by zizou2017

Timeline
1 minute ago, pghknr said:

Joint Sponsor is in USA Not overseas

If his income is sufficient and meets the Poverty Guideline, he does not have to have a joint sponsor. Keep in mind that if he barley meets that guideline, NVC will approve it, but it is at the discretion of Consular Officer to honor it. In some cases, the consular officer will require a joint sponsor.     

Timeline

Petitioner does not have Enough Income ..He is taking Joint Sponsor help  .

What If Joint Sponsor(Trans-Scripts & W2 his Income ) submits I-864,

Tax Filing Jointly and  his Income sufficient to support Beneficiary.

Does he need to submit his spouse I-864A ?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.