Rsul96

A question about regarding tax returns (and W-2s) on my I-864.

31 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, zizou2017 said:

Sending IRS tax transcript would be sufficient without the need of W-2. "

If you provide a photocopy of your Federal individual income tax returns, you must include a copy of each and every

Form W-2 and Form 1099 that relates to your returns. Do not include copies of these forms if you provide an IRS

transcript of your Federal individual income tax returns rather than a photocopy unless you filed a joint income tax return

with your spouse and are qualifying using only your income."

Individually, if you have filed married separately you can request IRS transcript without having to send copy of W2 or 1099. I, for example, have filed joint with my wife, but only my salary is qualified so I had to send copies of my W-2. Refer to the link below for more help:

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864instr.pdf

In your parent case. Since they filed joint and you are only using your mom as a sponsor then they would require her W-2 and 1099.

As of the year you did not file your taxes you would have to attach a letter articulating the reasons.

Good Luck

My mother is not self employed so as far as I can tell this is not necessary for her? So can I just submit her tax return and w2?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Rsul96 said:

My mother is not self employed so as far as I can tell this is not necessary for her? So can I just submit her tax return and w2?

Let me summarize your story to be in the same page. Your parents filed jointly. Your father is self-employed and your mom is not. You are only using your mom as a co-sponsor. According to the instructions above, your mom has to file I-864A with supporting documents including her IRS tax transcripts and her W-2. The reason they require her W-2 is that her portion of Joint filling income is shown. If she is self-employed then you would send 1099. But in this case, you are not using your father as a co-sponsor.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
16 minutes ago, zizou2017 said:

If his income is sufficient and meets the Poverty Guideline, he does not have to have a joint sponsor. Keep in mind that if he barley meets that guideline, NVC will approve it, but it is at the discretion of Consular Officer to honor it. In some cases, the consular officer will require a joint sponsor.     

ZIZOU2017,

Petitioner does not have Enough Income ..He is taking Joint Sponsor help  .

What If Joint Sponsor(Trans-Scripts & W2 his Income ) submits I-864,

Tax Filing Jointly and  his Income sufficient to support Beneficiary.

Does he need to submit his spouse I-864A ?

What are your Thoughts?

Timeline
9 minutes ago, pghknr said:

ZIZOU2017,

What are your Thoughts?

No, if the spouse of co-sponsor is not used to co-sponsor the beneficiary. Say David is the co-sponsor. David is married to Emily. David and Emily file taxes jointly. David needs to file I-864A providing tax transcripts with his W-2's and preferably his employment letter all showing his portion of joint income. Emily's income is excluding as Emily is not signing the contract to sponsor the beneficiary. For more instructions on I-864A, refer to the link below.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-864a

Edited by zizou2017

Timeline
2 minutes ago, zizou2017 said:

No, if the spouse of co-sponsor is not used to co-sponsor the beneficiary. Say David is the co-sponsor. Jack is married to Emily. Jack and Emily file taxes jointly. David needs to file I-864A providing tax transcripts with his W-2's and preferably his employment letter all showing his portion of joint income. Emily's income is excluding as Emily is not signing the contract to sponsor the beneficiary. For more instructions on I-864A, refer to the link below.

ZIZOU,

Jack( USA) is married to Emily( Overseas )

Jack files- I 864  ( But Not Enough Income So taking Co- Sponsor David help)

David has Enough Income( More than  70K ) for last three years and Current year to support Jack Family

When David File - I-864 with his trans scripts & W2, They file their tax filing Jointly His wife Jennifer not working 

My Question is Now David Wife Jennifer needed to file I-864A ?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, pghknr said:

ZIZOU,

Jack( USA) is married to Emily( Overseas )

Jack files- I 864  ( But Not Enough Income So taking Co- Sponsor David help)

David has Enough Income( More than  70K ) for last three years and Current year to support Jack Family

When David File - I-864 with his trans scripts & W2, They file their tax filing Jointly His wife Jennifer not working 

My Question is Now David Wife Jennifer needed to file I-864A ?

No, as Jennifer will not be sponsoring the beneficiary.

Timeline
1 minute ago, pghknr said:

Thanks for you time and help .. It helps to me ZIZOU2017

Going through I-864A itself, be aware that Jennifer, might sign it somewhere. But if Jennifer is not sponsoring the beneficiary, she is not required to submit I-864A separately.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, zizou2017 said:

Going through I-864A itself, be aware that Jennifer, might sign it somewhere. But if Jennifer is not sponsoring the beneficiary, she is not required to submit I-864A separately.

David has Sufficient Income on his W2 to support, So Jennifer does not work and not require to do I-864A

Can you please let me know where Jennifer will Sign.

Timeline
Just now, pghknr said:

David has Sufficient Income on his W2 to support, So Jennifer does not work and not require to do I-864A

Can you please let me know where Jennifer will Sign.

While completing the form you would have to follow the instructions.  

Timeline
2 minutes ago, zizou2017 said:

While completing the form you would have to follow the instructions.  

David Would do I-864 not I-864A Right 

Timeline
5 hours ago, pghknr said:

Petitioner - Does do not have Enough Income.  Submits his I-864

He  takes Joint Sponsor help

Joint Sponsor(SendsTrans-Scripts & W2 Income ) submits I-864 to NVC

Since Joint Sponsor Tax Filing Jointly and  his Income sufficient to support 

Does he need to submit his wife I-864A?- Many of us has no clarity on this

Experts, please give your thoughts 

17 hours ago, aleful said:

hi

exactly

you have one or the other, if you are employed you get the W2s

if you are a contractor or self employed you will receive the 1099

one or the other

Actually just to clarify there are many instances where you would have both (1099 & W-2). A 1099 is only reporting income that was not pre-taxed. You can be working for a company and receiving a W-2 and be doing side contracting work on the side and have 1099's for that. You can also receive 1099's from early withdrawal of 401k, written off debt, dividends, interest, or many other reasons (there are 19 different 1099 classifications).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.