62 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
31 minutes ago, kwame??? said:

my brother how can you do such a mistake knowing Ghana has a high fraud cases .... so are you married now with a marriage certificate if yes then let her file for i130 if not you have to marry to obtain a certificate and file an i130 but please dont file k1 again you will still be denied which you going to waste money too

So getting married and filing the spouse will be better,but if it comes up that what prove I have that I have been divorced?

Filed: Timeline
47 minutes ago, IcezMan_IcezLady said:

That is a little ignorant for you to say.

The fact that things in different cultures don't fit western narrative doesn't mean it is a lie.

let me educate on an aspect of Ghanaian culture.

I think i can see OP's issue.

In most Ghanaian culture, returning the "drink" the man's family is finalized divorce. This happens with no involvement of government documentation. If the woman wants a divorce, she returns the "drinks" collected as part of her bride price. But if the man wants a divorce, he must take the woman back and pay some money  (kinda like alimony).

So if OP (been the man) did take the woman back to her family and pay the alimony, she is still considered married likewise OP.

If you divorce someone administratively through the court, the cultural aspect has to be fulfilled for it to be accepted culturally as divorce.

So in essence, OP could be culturally very married but not married "enough" for the immigration process. Because the US govt recognizes the administrative type of marriage and the cultural marriage when it suits them.

OP was filing for his ex and had not provided administrative documentation for his marriage, they would have told him he wasn't married.

The conflict  or the dilemma for those of us from completely different cultures, is trying to fit our customs into western microscopes.

This is more than a little ignorant of you to say when your next post accuses the OP of lying about his marital status.

Edited by Jojo92122

Timeline
33 minutes ago, IcezMan_IcezLady said:

I think you either 1. lied somewhere or  2. this is something you had not much control over.

1. You either lied that you were married on your tourist visa just to improve your chances of getting approved. Probably because saying that you are married was to help show ties to Ghana.

2. It is the cultural aspect of marriage where you were not legally married by the govt standards but everyone knew you were married but you had no court document to show that you were married.

If you divorced customarily then get evidence from that scope. Witness sworn statements.

I am not sure if you can divorce in court if the marriage was never registered.

But regardless, you need show proof that you are divorced.

I would suggest you legally get married and file CR-1 BUT before you refile, make sure to find solution to this issue because it will come up again at the interview.

Good luck!

Thanks for all your comments,if I provide a decree that I am divorced and get legal documents showing will it be of any help,when my fiancée and I get married and file for a spousal visa.

9 minutes ago, Kobby said:

So getting married and filing the spouse will be better,but if it comes up that what prove I have that I have been divorced?

That's your problem, isn't it?  Your lies catching up to you.  How do you provide a legal divorce document when you lied about being married because you though it would help you fraudulently get a tourist visa?  You can't, so you are unlikely to get a visa to the US.

7 minutes ago, Kobby said:

Thanks for all your comments,if I provide a decree that I am divorced and get legal documents showing will it be of any help,when my fiancée and I get married and file for a spousal visa.

How are you going to get a legal divorce for a marriage that never happened?  

Continuing the lie with a divorce is not going to help you.

Your best solution is to tell the US Embassy that you lied on the visitor visa applications, and deal with the consequences. 

Further lies will doom you.

Edited by Jojo92122

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Jojo92122 said:

That's your problem, isn't it?  Your lies catching up to you.  How do you provide a legal divorce document when you lied about being married because you though it would help you fraudulently get a tourist visa?  You can't, so you are unlikely to get a visa to the US.

Yes I get that but am not married now,what is the best step to take the married issue off the way?

1 minute ago, Kobby said:

Yes I get that but am not married now,what is the best step to take the married issue off the way?

You can't make it go away.

You tell the US Embassy that you lied before and hope for the best.  Continuing the lie is not smart.

Well you shot yourself in a foot. All you can do now is somehow provide a divorce certificate then get married and file for the spouse visa. Also keep your fingers crossed for not getting a permanent ban for entering US because Immigration takes lies like that seriously. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Jojo92122 said:

You can't make it go away.

You tell the US Embassy that you lied before and hope for the best.  Continuing the lie is not smart.

Well will get say that and see the outcome of it,that might result in a ban but I will face it 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Roel said:

Well you shot yourself in a foot. All you can do now is somehow provide a divorce certificate then get married and file for the spouse visa. Also keep your fingers crossed for not getting a permanent ban for entering US because Immigration takes lies like that seriously. 

The marriage was not bounded by law and don't have legal documents showing I was married,hence can't get a divorce certificate to prove that fact.

Well good luck reading all this just gives me a headache, I really think you are in a hole that you might not get out off.  Maybe get a lawyer because what you have in your hands is a BIG MESS.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Sol1427 said:

Well good luck reading all this just gives me a headache, I really think you are in a hole that you might not get out off.  Maybe get a lawyer because what you have in your hands is a BIG MESS.

I have gotten a lawyer now so just waiting on the next step he will ask me to take 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Kobby said:

Well will get say that and see the outcome of it,that might result in a ban but I will face it 

i think the best way to is to let the embassy know your culture to marry is the engagement you did u never taught of going to court to acquire legal evidence thats why you stated in the first one as you are married,but you realised they needed a legal documents rather not an engagement bcos in our akan culture marriage is the engagement with two families come together and agree 

2 hours ago, NigeriaorBust said:

You have twice submitted a form where you signed to certify that what you wrote was true and that you were married.  Do not expect to get a visa until you can show that your marriage has been terminated in a way that satisfies the officer at the embassy.

Actually, 3 times, since they said no to previous marriages on the petition, too...that will be the hardest to overcome, since USCIS would never have approved it without divorce information, so it's automatic grounds to return the petition.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.