chcoloatechip17

Anyone meet only once then approved K1?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Has anyone here been approved for the K1 even though they only met once for a couple of weeks, and knew each other less than 1 year?  I wish I can stay at least a month, but I can't due to work obligations.

My fiance and I have known each other for 6 months, met on FB, and I'll be taking my first trip to see him next month. I can only stay about 2 weeks due to work.  

I know a lot of in-person time is important for the K1.  I also plan to go for a week (the week before the interview) so that will count as the 2nd meeting, but again, only for about a week.  Of course, we talk & message constantly all day, every day on WhatsApp & Viber, and will provide copies of all of that, but I'm just a little concerned about the CO and what they think is enough in-person face time.

Thanks. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 minutes ago, chcoloatechip17 said:

Hi everyone,

Has anyone here been approved for the K1 even though they only met once for a couple of weeks, and knew each other less than 1 year?  I wish I can stay at least a month, but I can't due to work obligations.

My fiance and I have known each other for 6 months, met on FB, and I'll be taking my first trip to see him next month. I can only stay about 2 weeks due to work.  

I know a lot of in-person time is important for the K1.  I also plan to go for a week (the week before the interview) so that will count as the 2nd meeting, but again, only for about a week.  Of course, we talk & message constantly all day, every day on WhatsApp & Viber, and will provide copies of all of that, but I'm just a little concerned about the CO and what they think is enough in-person face time.

Thanks. :)

I really don't think you have anything to worry about. I met my girlfriend on Facebook after we had been friends for over a year I just never noticed her until last July... we started talking... it grew into something more... I went over Christmas holidays this past year and spent a week and a half... I met her family and we had a great time. When you meet him/her you need to keep you plane tickets, your credit card statements from money that you spend while there, take pictures with her/him, also take pics with his/her family... show a little affection with your lover... hugging, kissing but nothing to provacative... these pictures will prove that yalls relationship is bonafide. I filed my petition for my woman in February and we are still waiting for it to be approved... you will have to provide proof of your ongoing relationship.... most important is pictures and proof that y'all met like plane tickets and so on... also you can take 15 pages of your text messages through WhatsApp from every month... actually less would be more than enough... I did 15 pages though. Anyways you shouldn't have a problem... the rule is that you've met in the past 2 years... 

Timeline

Thanks, he is from Egypt, but has lived and worked in Kuwait for the past 11 years, so his family won't be there to take photos with, but we can take photos with his friends, at least.

He's met my mother by video on Viber, Next time, we'll have to take a screenshot of them talking together.  Same thing when I talk to his family...

Good luck to you both!

We only knew each other for 4 months and he only came to visit once for a week before we applied for the K1. It wasn't really an issue because I had loads of Facebook and Skype messages/history printed out. 

AOS (from K-1)

Sent - April 23, 2014
NOA - May 13, 2014
Biometrics - June 6, 2014
EAD/AP Approved - July 18, 2014
EAD/AP Received - July 26, 2014
Waiver Letter Received - August 17, 2014 (dated August 13, 2014)
SR Placed Online - February 14, 2015
EAD/AP Renewal Sent - March 20, 2015
EAD/AP Renewal Received - March 25, 2015
I-485 Approved - March 28, 2015 (e-mail notification)
SR Response Rec'd - March 28, 2015 (dated March 24, 2015)
Card Production Notice - March 31, 2015

Card Mailed - April 7, 2015

Card Rec'd - April 9, 2015

One meeting within the past 2 years is all that is required for the I-129F. So be sure to keep any evidence of doing so on your trip (boarding passes, hotel receipts, etc.). Photos are only secondary evidence.

Evidence of an ongoing relationship will be needed for the interview. That's where things like the amount of face-to-face time (in person), chat logs, phone logs, photos, etc. can help out. Kuwait is not a particularly easy embassy, so be sure to load up in this area. Being an Egyptian national may raise some additional scrutiny (Egypt is considered a pretty high fraud country for immigration). So it may be best in your situation to front load the petition with relationship evidence, then bring more to the interview. It's hard to compare one person's experience to another once you get to the embassy stage, so I suggest checking out the Kuwait portal (http://www.visajourney.com/portals/index.php?country=Kuwait) and read around for experiences from others.

Being at the interview, as you plan, would definitively be recommended. Good luck!

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

and if you are much older to him especially - please keep in mind the stories of women frauded and the higher statistics of fraud by men from certain countries.

in real life, why is it that couples that a decent amount of time to decide and men especially want to wait on marriage - but when it comes to immigration to a Western country people decide before they meet...

Not judging and not in a place to do so - I knew deep down my husband and I would marry before we met...after the first meeting it was set in stone even for him... in the end we did meet 6-7 times before we thought getting married would be cheaper :P

of course we hadn't researched immigration enough and getting married meant longer timelines and another 10 or so trips - All these trip were between 14- 32 hour flights/flight connections each way!!

marriage is a huge decision meet and spend time for a bit before jumping in...

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Auds said:

and if you are much older to him especially - please keep in mind the stories of women frauded and the higher statistics of fraud by men from certain countries.

in real life, why is it that couples that a decent amount of time to decide and men especially want to wait on marriage - but when it comes to immigration to a Western country people decide before they meet...

Not judging and not in a place to do so - I knew deep down my husband and I would marry before we met...after the first meeting it was set in stone even for him... in the end we did meet 6-7 times before we thought getting married would be cheaper :P

of course we hadn't researched immigration enough and getting married meant longer timelines and another 10 or so trips - All these trip were between 14- 32 hour flights/flight connections each way!!

marriage is a huge decision meet and spend time for a bit before jumping in...

Thanks for the warning, but it's not necessary.  To be clear, I'm also Arab and Muslim, so there are no religious or cultural differences between us, and I've lived in the middle east for many years.  

I also don't believe that dating or being engaged for X amount of time before deciding to marry works very well............look at the huge divorce rate even here in America.  Each couple is different and what works for some won't work for others in terms of waiting X amount of time before deciding to get married.

Just sayin' that you kind of genaralized in your reply about men from "certain"  countries, but I understand your concern. I'm not saying scams don't happen.........

Edited by chcoloatechip17

3 hours ago, geowrian said:

One meeting within the past 2 years is all that is required for the I-129F. So be sure to keep any evidence of doing so on your trip (boarding passes, hotel receipts, etc.). Photos are only secondary evidence.

Evidence of an ongoing relationship will be needed for the interview. That's where things like the amount of face-to-face time (in person), 

So to provide evidence of an ongoing relationship, we will need to have new photos that have been taken after the K1 has been sent out? Not sure what they mean..

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, SoCalMan said:

So to provide evidence of an ongoing relationship, we will need to have new photos that have been taken after the K1 has been sent out? Not sure what they mean..

Yes, you should provide evidence of an ongoing relationship from the period between filing the I-129F and the interview. It doesn't need to be photos, but can be.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline
9 minutes ago, SoCalMan said:

Thanks!

If let's say you meet again after submitting your K-1 visa petition, you can bring all the photos taken during that trip to the interview. But, it is not compulsory. If you don't meet again after submitting the petition, you can bring other type of supporting during the interview. Anything that can be a proof for ongoing relationship, such as messages, video/voice call logs, gift exchange. You can also provide all proof of arrangement of the wedding if you have. 

DISCLAIMER: I'm not working with USCIS/NVC and never work with them. All my comment based on my own experience and what I read. 

"When you have a fight with your partner, remember that it is not you against your partner but it is both of you against the problem" :) 

I-129F Sent : 2017-05-12

I-129F NOA1 :

I-129F NOA2:

2017-06-17

2017-11-29 (Date on hard copy) / 2017-11-30 (Date USCIS Website/Online Tracker App)

NVC Received Date:                 2018-01-16

NVC Case No. assigned:         2018-01-16

NVC Left:                                    2018-01-20

Consulate Received:                2018-01-22

Packet 3 Received:                   2018-01-27

Packet 3 Sent:                           2018-01-27

Interview Date:                          2018-03-08

Visa Received:                          2018-03-13

US Entry:                                    2018-03-19

SSN Application:                      2018-04-03

SSN Received:                          2018-05-02

Marriage:                                   2018-05-05

Marriage Certificate

Received:                                   2018-05-15

Change name in SSN:             2018-06-04

AOS, AP & EAD submitted:    2018-07-06

NOA 1 (email):                          2018-07-10

NOA 1 (mail):                            2018-07-16

Biometric app:                          2018-08-09

EAD & AP Received:                2018-xx-xx

AOS Interview:                          2018-09-24 
Approval/Denied:                      Approved 

Green Card Received:             2018-09-29

1 hour ago, MalaysiaUS said:

If let's say you meet again after submitting your K-1 visa petition, you can bring all the photos taken during that trip to the interview. But, it is not compulsory. If you don't meet again after submitting the petition, you can bring other type of supporting during the interview. Anything that can be a proof for ongoing relationship, such as messages, video/voice call logs, gift exchange. You can also provide all proof of arrangement of the wedding if you have. 

Ah ok, I thought it was a bad idea to visit while the K-1 is being filed. If she does or I visit, how should I answer the CBP when they ask who are you visiting? " I'm visiting my fiancé? Or bf/gf?"

thank you very much!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline
57 minutes ago, SoCalMan said:

Ah ok, I thought it was a bad idea to visit while the K-1 is being filed. If she does or I visit, how should I answer the CBP when they ask who are you visiting? " I'm visiting my fiancé? Or bf/gf?"

thank you very much!

It is great if you are able to visit each other while K-1 is being filed, however, you need to show a strong tie to your country since you already showed intention to immigrate to States. He can visit you in your country too, and that picture can be use as the supporting during the interview.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not working with USCIS/NVC and never work with them. All my comment based on my own experience and what I read. 

"When you have a fight with your partner, remember that it is not you against your partner but it is both of you against the problem" :) 

I-129F Sent : 2017-05-12

I-129F NOA1 :

I-129F NOA2:

2017-06-17

2017-11-29 (Date on hard copy) / 2017-11-30 (Date USCIS Website/Online Tracker App)

NVC Received Date:                 2018-01-16

NVC Case No. assigned:         2018-01-16

NVC Left:                                    2018-01-20

Consulate Received:                2018-01-22

Packet 3 Received:                   2018-01-27

Packet 3 Sent:                           2018-01-27

Interview Date:                          2018-03-08

Visa Received:                          2018-03-13

US Entry:                                    2018-03-19

SSN Application:                      2018-04-03

SSN Received:                          2018-05-02

Marriage:                                   2018-05-05

Marriage Certificate

Received:                                   2018-05-15

Change name in SSN:             2018-06-04

AOS, AP & EAD submitted:    2018-07-06

NOA 1 (email):                          2018-07-10

NOA 1 (mail):                            2018-07-16

Biometric app:                          2018-08-09

EAD & AP Received:                2018-xx-xx

AOS Interview:                          2018-09-24 
Approval/Denied:                      Approved 

Green Card Received:             2018-09-29

My husband and I met once then kept in touch every day via FaceTime. When I filed K1 I went on my second trip to see him but only info from first trip was included. My third trip was for the interview and we were approved that day.

Timeline
34 minutes ago, Scienceteacher15 said:

My husband and I met once then kept in touch every day via FaceTime. When I filed K1 I went on my second trip to see him but only info from first trip was included. My third trip was for the interview and we were approved that day.

That's pretty much what my visits will look like, I really hope to get a separate trip in and still be there a 3rd time for the interview.

Congrats on your approval. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.