Jump to content

Florida Driver License Questions

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi, my fiance is currently here on a K-1 Visa. He has already gotten a SSN and now we want to get his driver's license. I have researched about it a bit but I have read so many conflicting stories. I just would like some clarification if possible. I already know I will have to sign the statement that he is residing at my address for proof of residency. 

1. Does he need to complete a Drug and Alcohol Abuse course if he already has a valid license from Sweden?

2. Does he need a EAD? Some people have stated they needed a EAD to get a driver license.

3.  Is it better to get married first and then apply for the license or to get the license before we get married? I heard it is easier to get it before being married and vice versa. 

4. Will he need to complete a driving test and the written exam or will he only have to have the vision test done? 


Thank you! 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites




Immigrants that apply for a Florida drivers license or ID card must provide the Proof of Social Security Number and 2 Proofs of Residential address desribed above.

As an Immigrant you must provide one original or certified copy of the following Identification documents:

  • Valid Alien Registration receipt card, (Green card, Form I-551)
  • I-551 stamp in passport or on I-94
  • Immigration Judges Order, with the customer's A-number, granting asylum
  • I-797, with the customer's A-number, stating the customer has been granted asylum
  • I-797 or another form from the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, with the customer's A-number, stating the customer's application for Refugee status is approved 


First Time Driver

Anyone - regardless of age - getting their first drivers license in Florida is known as a first time driver. Many first time drivers are teenagers getting their learners permit but many are adults getting their first drivers license. All first time drivers are required to complete a traffic law substance abuse education course - these courses are commonly known as DATA, TLSAE, or First Time Driver.


I'm sure someone with experience in Florida will comment also.  Each state varies in their requirements and process.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

He currently doesn't fulfill the documentation requirements for "immigrants" in Florida. You could try as a non-immigrant (K1 is a non-immigrant visa). It looks like it might be possible to get a license as long as his i94 is still valid for 30 days+. http://www.gathergoget.com/checklist/checklist.aspx


If he changes his name after the marriage, he'll need to wait to obtain a legal ID (EAD/GC) in his new name before he can apply for a DL.


He will need to complete the theoretical and road examination.

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.


K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit


9/4/16: Wedding!


AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)


ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If he has arrived/had POE, then he should be able to meet the second bullet point under immigrant using his I-94.  According to the Florida DMV site it states one of the bulleted items.

It may be worth a try.  I had read that in my state EAD was required, but quickly found out that with his social security card  and I797 he was eligible to take the learners test and now has his temporary drivers license.  Just need to take the road test now.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.