5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I had my medical yesterday, I'm waiting on my GP to fax over all of my mental health history. I have previously self harmed, and had suicidal thoughts but never acted upon them. My last appointment with a phsychiatrist was in Jan of this year and I was discharged on the fact I was going to the states for 9 weeks from Feb, but also my assessment at the point clearly shows my very good improvement to how I had been. I'm absolutely fine now, so my GP can send an email stating that nothing is ongoing. I have my interview next Friday however, and I am just so worried now! I was reassured heavily to keep my interview appointment, that even if the Embassy hadn't received my medical history of my mental health etc that I can be approved however I just won't be issued the visa that day, until they receive my medical records... is this true? 😰 I'm just panicking, and would like some kind of reassurance from someone or someone's experience to get a better understanding of where I currently stand on being approved or not etc. My medical and interview are both in London. Please help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
On May 11, 2017 at 6:41 AM, anniedanielle said:

I had my medical yesterday, I'm waiting on my GP to fax over all of my mental health history. I have previously self harmed, and had suicidal thoughts but never acted upon them. My last appointment with a phsychiatrist was in Jan of this year and I was discharged on the fact I was going to the states for 9 weeks from Feb, but also my assessment at the point clearly shows my very good improvement to how I had been. I'm absolutely fine now, so my GP can send an email stating that nothing is ongoing. I have my interview next Friday however, and I am just so worried now! I was reassured heavily to keep my interview appointment, that even if the Embassy hadn't received my medical history of my mental health etc that I can be approved however I just won't be issued the visa that day, until they receive my medical records... is this true? 😰 I'm just panicking, and would like some kind of reassurance from someone or someone's experience to get a better understanding of where I currently stand on being approved or not etc. My medical and interview are both in London. Please help!

Knightsbridge clinic will not send over your medical files until they complete the assessment. Right now they are waiting on the bloodwork results from the lab and more information from your doctor.  Then they will complete the assessment, sign off, and send to the embassy.  If your doctor does not say enough to convince them, the assessment might not be great and they could call you back for a psych exam.Or maybe it will be fine. Typically they want to see the words that you are no longer a threat to yourself and others and will not be in the future. 

If your Knightsbridge report has not reached the embassy by Friday, they will not approve you that day. They will wait until they see the medical reccommendation from Knightsbridge then approve later. You would not have to interview again. It is just a delay waiting for the report before they can say yes and finish the visa paperwork and issuance. 

You can call Knightsbridge next week on Thursday and ask if they completed your medical results and sent them to the embassy so you know what the situation is. They courier the results over to the embassy so they arrive same day they are dispatched.

Agree with the above. They look for the magic words "is not a danger to self or anyone else". I also had a history of mental illness and was hospitalized in 2003. I made a few appointments with the GP before the medical to make it very clear to him that whatever he writes in the report must include that phrase. I couldn't stress it enough with him. He completely understood and wrote a very good report (which he shared with me) and the medical was a breeze. Now, yours is more recent so they may want to do a further evaluation but as long as you can demonstrate that you are not at risk of harming yourself or others you'll be good to go. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

• 4 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I've never been to my gp about my depression or previous self harm so how can I prove to the embassy that I'm not a danger to myself or others? I don't think just walking into my doctors and saying 'hey I used to sf but now I don't can you write me a letter saying that please' will work? I am healthy now and in a very positive mindset and I really don't want stupid mistakes I've made in the past to delay our visa

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Vinnless said:

I've never been to my gp about my depression or previous self harm so how can I prove to the embassy that I'm not a danger to myself or others? I don't think just walking into my doctors and saying 'hey I used to sf but now I don't can you write me a letter saying that please' will work? I am healthy now and in a very positive mindset and I really don't want stupid mistakes I've made in the past to delay our visa

Your doctor's word can be enough to convince Knightsbridge you are OK now. They don't want to be on the hook for making that decision alone based on a short first time meeting with you.

If you have no doctor report, Knightsbridge may refer you for an evaluation by a psychiatrist. In the past, I have seen it done a couple of ways. Referral to a private psych exam where you pay the cost. As I recall the fee was hundreds of pounds. £700 maybe? And more recent was return to Knightsbridge clinic for another appointment for evaluation. Not sure, but maybe they have somebody who comes in to their office certain days for that purpose. Drugs and alcohol come under the mental health, so anybody who admits to prior drug use or excessive drinking might also be evaluated for addiction. Each case is different, but further evaluation has happened before. I do not know if there is a fee. It does mean a delay getting your medical results completed and sent to the embassy, so keep that in mind when picking an interview or making plans. You may not move through the process as quickly as others who have their results at the embassy in 3-4 days. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.