JefLyn4ever

I864 and I864a Questions

7 posts in this topic

HI, I will be petitioning my husband thru DCF soon. I don't meet sponsor income requirements so I will be using my mother as my joint sponsor and my father as her household member. According to my understanding, I file my own I864 and my mother will also file a separate I864 since we live in a different household, I am currently residing in the Philippines and she is in the US. My father will file I864a as part of her household member and since they file taxes jointly.

1. Am I correct so far?

I864 Petitioner (me)

I864 Joint Sponsor (mother)

I864a Household Member (father)

2. For my mother's form I864, is she to mark the box that states the only joint sponsor?

3. For my father's form I864a, who are they referring to as the sponsor, in the question to in relationship to and which sponsor signs, my mother or I? So if sponsor they mean my mother, I should write spouse and it should be my mother signing the I864A along with my father?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can enlighten me on this topic. The Affidavit of Support Forms, I believe are the most confusing forms I'll come across :/

Edited by JefLyn4ever

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
Spoiler

hi

the i864A is a contract between your mom and dad, they both sign it, you don't

you sign your own i864, but not the i864A

4 hours ago, JefLyn4ever said:

Thanks aleful! Do you happen to know if she will mark the box only joint sponsor?

She will. 

Basically she is the only joint sponsor. and Has a contract with your dad (i864A) that as a household member he agrees on this sponsorship. 

Which basically means, you parent are your 1 joint sponsors. 

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 5/11/2017 at 5:52 AM, JefLyn4ever said:

HI, I will be petitioning my husband thru DCF soon. I don't meet sponsor income requirements so I will be using my mother as my joint sponsor and my father as her household member. According to my understanding, I file my own I864 and my mother will also file a separate I864 since we live in a different household, I am currently residing in the Philippines and she is in the US. My father will file I864a as part of her household member and since they file taxes jointly.

1. Am I correct so far?

I864 Petitioner (me)

I864 Joint Sponsor (mother)

I864a Household Member (father)

2. For my mother's form I864, is she to mark the box that states the only joint sponsor?

3. For my father's form I864a, who are they referring to as the sponsor, in the question to in relationship to and which sponsor signs, my mother or I? So if sponsor they mean my mother, I should write spouse and it should be my mother signing the I864A along with my father?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can enlighten me on this topic. The Affidavit of Support Forms, I believe are the most confusing forms I'll come across :/

If your Mother has Sufficient Income  she can do i864 But your Dad does not require to file i864A..Good Luck

11 hours ago, pghknr said:

If your Mother has Sufficient Income  she can do i864 But your Dad does not require to file i864A..Good Luck

Her father does need to sign the 864A as they are married and filing jointly! 

The I-864 is very confusing because its purpose is to be used with different types of immigration. I am Petitioning my wife and her two children. I thought she was the Principal Immigrant and I thought I was supposed to list the kids as family one and two, but no. I fill out three forms, and each is the Primary immigrant on their own form. I am to put nothing in the family members because they are not dirivatives. It looked to me like I could put all of them on one form, but that is not correct. Someone here explained it to me. I never would have figured it out.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.