snowcat

Please Check My Cover Letter for I-485 (from K1)?

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Allie D said:

Include two passport pics for *each* form. Treat each form as a standalone application, even though you will most likely get a combined EAD/AP card.

17 minutes ago, Allie D said:

Here's information from a law firm website

Ok perfect thanks

Last question - I fill out every form with my new post-marriage name right? :) Just want to make sure

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
Just now, snowcat said:

Last question - I fill out every form with my new post-marriage name right? :) Just want to make sure

Yes, if you have legally changed your name.

Married to US Citizen. I'm the beneficiary.

Adjustment of Status (AOS) from F-1

• Priority date: 2016-09
  • Initial interview for I-485: 2017-06. Approved on the same day.

Removal of Conditions (ROC)

• Eligible starting: 2019-03

Timeline
3 minutes ago, snowcat said:

It's changed on my Marriage License, but nowhere else yet. That's what "legally changed" means, yes?

Yes. That should be sufficient. To be safe, you should check the name change requirements for your state. You should also begin the process of updating your name on other records, e.g. social security card (if you already have one), bank account, driver's license, etc.

Edited by Allie D

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline
2 hours ago, snowcat said:

It's changed on my Marriage License, but nowhere else yet. That's what "legally changed" means, yes?

Well, the marriage license allows you to change your name. You haven't strictly "legally" changed your name until you have an official photo ID in your new name. But, the marriage license allows you to file for a GC + EAD/AP cards in the new name, and once you have those you will be all set. That's why certain states don't allow you to change your name on your SSN and/or DL until you have GC or EAD (some do, but not all).

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Timeline
2 minutes ago, A'n'L said:

Well, the marriage license allows you to change your name. You haven't strictly "legally" changed your name until you have an official photo ID in your new name. But, the marriage license allows you to file for a GC + EAD/AP cards in the new name, and once you have those you will be all set. That's why certain states don't allow you to change your name on your SSN and/or DL until you have GC or EAD (some do, but not all).

Ok got it, thanks! So I'm right in filling out all my AOS forms in my new name (I put my maiden name in "other names" used, too)? And I can take care of SSN/DL name change after I get my EAD?

Edited by snowcat

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline
18 minutes ago, snowcat said:

Ok got it, thanks! So I'm right in filling out all my AOS forms in my new name (I put my maiden name in "other names" used, too)? And I can take care of SSN/DL name change after I get my EAD?

Correct! You can always try to see if they will allow you to change SSN/DL with just the marriage certificate, but no guarantees.

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Timeline
10 hours ago, A'n'L said:

Correct! You can always try to see if they will allow you to change SSN/DL with just the marriage certificate, but no guarantees.

This is correct. My bad for not clarifying in my earlier post that a marriage certificate only provides you the documentation to complete the legal name change. As @A'n'L stated, to complete the legal name change (e.g. update your social security record and get an updated US driver's license), you will often first need to provide a certified marriage certificate, a government issued ID (e.g. passport, EAD), and proof of age (e.g. certified/original birth certificate -- the passport will often not do, even if it contains all the information in your birth certificate). 

Timeline
31 minutes ago, Allie D said:

This is correct. My bad for not clarifying in my earlier post that a marriage certificate only provides you the documentation to complete the legal name change. As @A'n'L stated, to complete the legal name change (e.g. update your social security record and get an updated US driver's license), you will often first need to provide a certified marriage certificate, a government issued ID (e.g. passport, EAD), and proof of age (e.g. certified/original birth certificate -- the passport will often not do, even if it contains all the information in your birth certificate). 

Ok cool! 

I actually don't have a DL yet, I didn't know I'm able to get one without an EAD/GC?

Timeline
4 minutes ago, snowcat said:

Ok cool! 

I actually don't have a DL yet, I didn't know I'm able to get one without an EAD/GC?

You can get one without a EAD/GC as long as you have a government-issued ID and proof of legal residence in the USA. A friend from Singapore got his DL by providing his passport, SSN, F-1 visa, and proof of residency in the state.

Edited by Allie D

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Allie D said:

You can get one without a EAD/GC as long as you have a government-issued ID and proof of legal residence in the USA. A friend from Singapore got his DL by providing his passport, SSN, F-1 visa, and proof of residency in the state.

Hmm. I doubt a K-1 visa is proof of residency, since I only become a "resident" once I adjust my status? I always assumed I currently am in a gray area while waiting for my status to be adjusted, and therefore can't get drivers license and other things. I already have SSN because I studied here in 2012 and worked for a year post-graduation (OPT), but other than that I don't think I have anything else to prove legal residency in the state... unless a passport and SSN is enough.

I can wait until I get my EAD, to make sure I get it without trouble, but it would be nice to have a license already...

Timeline
28 minutes ago, snowcat said:

Hmm. I doubt a K-1 visa is proof of residency, since I only become a "resident" once I adjust my status? I always assumed I currently am in a gray area while waiting for my status to be adjusted, and therefore can't get drivers license and other things. I already have SSN because I studied here in 2012 and worked for a year post-graduation (OPT), but other than that I don't think I have anything else to prove legal residency in the state... unless a passport and SSN is enough.

I can wait until I get my EAD, to make sure I get it without trouble, but it would be nice to have a license already...

I would check with the California DMV since a few states like Washington allow undocumented migrants to get a driver's license as long as they can prove their identity and the fact that they have lived in the state for the required time (this is not the same as legal residency in the USA).

Edited by Allie D

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline
On 5/9/2017 at 2:34 PM, snowcat said:

Hi all! I'm about to file for my AOS (I am currently on K1 visa, just got married last week, May 1st, and already got a certified copy of my marriage certificate!) and would greatly appreciate if you all could check my cover letter to make sure I have everything right. I'm a nervous wreck when it comes to important things like this so having you guys reassure me will greatly benefit my nerves haha.

Some notes (please let me know if I got any of these wrong!):

• I am planning to submit only a photocopy of my birth certificate - will a certified copy be required? I already submitted a certified copy during my interview in Manila, which the USCIS still has (they took it along with my other docs at POE), so I'm assuming I don't need to submit another certified copy... 
  • I am not submitting the I-693 because my DS-3025 from my medical in the Philippines (which indicates that all my vaccinations are complete) is still valid until November 2017. Correct?
  • For the I-797 date, I used the "NOTICE DATE" - is that right?
  • I'm only submitting a copy of my husband's income tax returns for the current tax year (2016), since I understand copies the past years' tax returns is not necessary.

THANK YOU <3

{MY NAME}

{MY ADDRESS}

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

USCIS

Attn: FBAS 131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL
60603-5517

May 9, 2017

Nature of the submission: I-485 - Immediate Relative (Spouse) Family Based Adjustment of Status Application

To Whom It May Concern:

Enclosed please find my Form I-485, Immediate Relative (Spouse) Family Based Adjustment of Status Application, and supporting documents as follows:

-       G-1145 – Form for E-notification of Application/Petition Acceptance

-       Payment in the amount of $1,225.00 payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security (for both the I-485 filing fee and biometrics fee)

-       I-485 - Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, signed & dated: May 8, 2017

-       Copy of birth certificate

-       Copy of K1 visa in passport

-       2 passport photos

-       Copy DS-3025 – Vaccination record, dated: November 22, 2016

-       G-325A - Biographic Information, including residence and employment attachment

-       I-864 - Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act, completed by May 9, 2017

• Copy IRS Tax Transcript for 2016 tax year

-       I-765 – Application for Employment Authorization

• 2 passport photos

-       Copy of I-797 - Notice of Action, Approval of K1 petition, dated August 31, 2016

-       Copy of Marriage certificate, issued May 9, 2017

-       Copy of I-94 – Arrival/Departure record

-       Photocopy of passport biographical details page

-       Photocopy of K-1 visa

-       Photocopy of USA entry stamp dated February 28, 2017

Copies of documents submitted are exact photocopies of unaltered documents and I understand that I may be required to submit original documents to an Immigration or Consular officer at a later date.

Signed,

{NAME}

Mobile: (xxx) xxx-xxxx

Include a Copy of I-797 - Notice of Action, a copy of the I-94, and a copy of your passport's biographical page with the I-485 as well. As someone mentioned before, it is better to make sure each document package can stand on its own.

For the I-864, you should also include a copy of sponsor's passport biographical page (and/or birth certificate), employment letter, W-2, and a couple of the recent pay stubs.

You mentioned an old EAD for OPT. They ask for a copy of the old EAD card for the I-765, but it is not a big deal if you don't have it.

For the I-131, you will need the same supporting documents as the I-765, plus another copy of the I-797 for the I-129F. Also include two passport photos for this form as well. You do not need a supplement for part 7, and you can leave empty and/or leave empty where it asks for the travel dates.

Good luck!

K-1, AOS, ROC, Citizenship timeline below:

Spoiler

Met in school summer of 2011, started dating May 2012, engaged June 2016

07/15/2016 - Sent K-1 visa documents                    04/20/2017 - Mailed AOS package                                              09/16/2019 - Mailed ROC package to wrong center

07/19/2016 - NOA1 (California Service Center)         04/23/2017 - AOS package delivered                                          09/19/2019 - Printed everything again and mailed it correctly

09/02/2016 - NOA2 (45 days)                                 04/29/2017 - AOS text and email notifications                             09/23/2019 - ROC Case Was Received

09/15/2016 - NVC case number assigned                 05/04/2017 - NOA1 received for AOS, EAD, AP                            12/02/2019 - Biometrics Appointment (Got notice late, missed appt)

09/29/2016 - Case is "Ready" at embassy                05/22/2017 - Biometrics taken                                                   12/09/2019 - Biometrics taken, walk-in

10/06/2016 - Got an interview date!                        06/14/2017 - Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for Interview            12/10/2019 - Fingerprint Review Was Completed

11/06/2016 - Scheduled the medical!                       08/03/2017 - Interview is Scheduled                                           04/22/2020 - Case Was Received At My Local Office

12/06/2016 - Medical done!                                    09/06/2017 - Interview time!                                                     05/22/2020 - New Card Is Being Produced

12/12/2016 - Interview done! Visa approved!            09/06/2017 - RFE for (lost) medical                                            05/26/2020 - Case Was Approved

12/16/2016 - Visa issued                                         09/19/2017 - New medical submitted (in person)                         05/30/2020 - Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

12/19/2016 - Passport with visa, envelope in hand     09/26/2017 - New Card is Being Produced (online update)                                       (First class mail, tracking provided)                     

01/11/2017 - POE!!!                                               09/29/2017 - Received I-797 Approval Notice                                                  06/28/2020 - N-400 application window opens!

04/06/2017 - Married                                                                              Card Was Mailed to Me                                                 07/13/2020 - N-400 application submitted!

10/04/2017 - Green card in hand!                                                                  11/23/2020 - Called for a service request

12/04/2020 - Biometrics scheduled online notice

12/31/2020 - Biometrics appointment

06/24/2021 - Interview Notice (interview on 7/27/2021)

Timeline
On 5/10/2017 at 11:51 AM, cyanmavi said:

Include a Copy of I-797 - Notice of Action, a copy of the I-94, and a copy of your passport's biographical page with the I-485 as well. As someone mentioned before, it is better to make sure each document package can stand on its own.

For the I-864, you should also include a copy of sponsor's passport biographical page (and/or birth certificate), employment letter, W-2, and a couple of the recent pay stubs.

You mentioned an old EAD for OPT. They ask for a copy of the old EAD card for the I-765, but it is not a big deal if you don't have it.

For the I-131, you will need the same supporting documents as the I-765, plus another copy of the I-797 for the I-129F. Also include two passport photos for this form as well. You do not need a supplement for part 7, and you can leave empty and/or leave empty where it asks for the travel dates.

Good luck!

Very helpful, thank you!

• 1 year later...
Timeline
On 5/9/2017 at 2:34 PM, snowcat said:

Hi all! I'm about to file for my AOS (I am currently on K1 visa, just got married last week, May 1st, and already got a certified copy of my marriage certificate!) and would greatly appreciate if you all could check my cover letter to make sure I have everything right. I'm a nervous wreck when it comes to important things like this so having you guys reassure me will greatly benefit my nerves haha.

Some notes (please let me know if I got any of these wrong!):

• I am planning to submit only a photocopy of my birth certificate - will a certified copy be required? I already submitted a certified copy during my interview in Manila, which the USCIS still has (they took it along with my other docs at POE), so I'm assuming I don't need to submit another certified copy... 
  • I am not submitting the I-693 because my DS-3025 from my medical in the Philippines (which indicates that all my vaccinations are complete) is still valid until November 2017. Correct?
  • For the I-797 date, I used the "NOTICE DATE" - is that right?
  • I'm only submitting a copy of my husband's income tax returns for the current tax year (2016), since I understand copies the past years' tax returns is not necessary.

THANK YOU ❤️

{MY NAME}

{MY ADDRESS}

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

USCIS

Attn: FBAS 131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL
60603-5517

May 9, 2017

Nature of the submission: I-485 - Immediate Relative (Spouse) Family Based Adjustment of Status Application

To Whom It May Concern:

Enclosed please find my Form I-485, Immediate Relative (Spouse) Family Based Adjustment of Status Application, and supporting documents as follows:

-       G-1145 – Form for E-notification of Application/Petition Acceptance

-       Payment in the amount of $1,225.00 payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security (for both the I-485 filing fee and biometrics fee)

-       I-485 - Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, signed & dated: May 8, 2017

-       Copy of birth certificate

-       Copy of K1 visa in passport

-       2 passport photos

-       Copy DS-3025 – Vaccination record, dated: November 22, 2016

-       G-325A - Biographic Information, including residence and employment attachment

-       I-864 - Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act, completed by May 9, 2017

• Copy IRS Tax Transcript for 2016 tax year

-       I-765 – Application for Employment Authorization

• 2 passport photos

-       Copy of I-797 - Notice of Action, Approval of K1 petition, dated August 31, 2016

-       Copy of Marriage certificate, issued May 9, 2017

-       Copy of I-94 – Arrival/Departure record

-       Photocopy of passport biographical details page

-       Photocopy of K-1 visa

-       Photocopy of USA entry stamp dated February 28, 2017

Copies of documents submitted are exact photocopies of unaltered documents and I understand that I may be required to submit original documents to an Immigration or Consular officer at a later date.

Signed,

{NAME}

Mobile: (xxx) xxx-xxxx

Hi! My husband is from the Philippines too. We are currently filling up forms for AOS. I was wondering since he doesn't have a copy of D 3025. When did they give you the D 3025?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.