snowcat

Please Check My Cover Letter for I-485 (from K1)?

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi all! I'm about to file for my AOS (I am currently on K1 visa, just got married last week, May 1st, and already got a certified copy of my marriage certificate!) and would greatly appreciate if you all could check my cover letter to make sure I have everything right. I'm a nervous wreck when it comes to important things like this so having you guys reassure me will greatly benefit my nerves haha.

Some notes (please let me know if I got any of these wrong!):

• I am planning to submit only a photocopy of my birth certificate - will a certified copy be required? I already submitted a certified copy during my interview in Manila, which the USCIS still has (they took it along with my other docs at POE), so I'm assuming I don't need to submit another certified copy... 
  • I am not submitting the I-693 because my DS-3025 from my medical in the Philippines (which indicates that all my vaccinations are complete) is still valid until November 2017. Correct?
  • For the I-797 date, I used the "NOTICE DATE" - is that right?
  • I'm only submitting a copy of my husband's income tax returns for the current tax year (2016), since I understand copies the past years' tax returns is not necessary.

THANK YOU <3

{MY NAME}

{MY ADDRESS}

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

USCIS

Attn: FBAS 131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL
60603-5517

May 9, 2017

Nature of the submission: I-485 - Immediate Relative (Spouse) Family Based Adjustment of Status Application

To Whom It May Concern:

Enclosed please find my Form I-485, Immediate Relative (Spouse) Family Based Adjustment of Status Application, and supporting documents as follows:

-       G-1145 – Form for E-notification of Application/Petition Acceptance

-       Payment in the amount of $1,225.00 payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security (for both the I-485 filing fee and biometrics fee)

-       I-485 - Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, signed & dated: May 8, 2017

-       Copy of birth certificate

-       Copy of K1 visa in passport

-       2 passport photos

-       Copy DS-3025 – Vaccination record, dated: November 22, 2016

-       G-325A - Biographic Information, including residence and employment attachment

-       I-864 - Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act, completed by May 9, 2017

• Copy IRS Tax Transcript for 2016 tax year

-       I-765 – Application for Employment Authorization

• 2 passport photos

-       Copy of I-797 - Notice of Action, Approval of K1 petition, dated August 31, 2016

-       Copy of Marriage certificate, issued May 9, 2017

-       Copy of I-94 – Arrival/Departure record

-       Photocopy of passport biographical details page

-       Photocopy of K-1 visa

-       Photocopy of USA entry stamp dated February 28, 2017

Copies of documents submitted are exact photocopies of unaltered documents and I understand that I may be required to submit original documents to an Immigration or Consular officer at a later date.

Signed,

{NAME}

Mobile: (xxx) xxx-xxxx

Edited by snowcat

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

You don't need to submit a certified true copy of your birth certificate with your AOS packet. A photocopy will do. Bring the certified true copy to your I-485 interview (if you are given one - some people are approved without).

Tax returns for the most recent year (2016) are fine. That's what my husband, the petitioner, submitted.

I didn't adjust from a K-1 visa so I can't comment on your other questions. It might be a good idea to include more supporting evidence (e.g. wedding pictures, rental lease in both of your names, joint utility bills, proof that your spouse has added you to employer-provided benefits, etc). Since you got married recently, you might not have had a chance to accumulate such evidence.

People who adjusted from K-1 will have more insight. Good luck! :)

Edited by Allie D

Married to US Citizen. I'm the beneficiary.

Adjustment of Status (AOS) from F-1

• Priority date: 2016-09
  • Initial interview for I-485: 2017-06. Approved on the same day.

Removal of Conditions (ROC)

• Eligible starting: 2019-03

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Korea
Timeline
48 minutes ago, snowcat said:

Hi all! I'm about to file for my AOS (I am currently on K1 visa, just got married last week, May 1st, and already got a certified copy of my marriage certificate!) and would greatly appreciate if you all could check my cover letter to make sure I have everything right. I'm a nervous wreck when it comes to important things like this so having you guys reassure me will greatly benefit my nerves haha.

Some notes (please let me know if I got any of these wrong!):

• I am planning to submit only a photocopy of my birth certificate - will a certified copy be required? I already submitted a certified copy during my interview in Manila, which the USCIS still has (they took it along with my other docs at POE), so I'm assuming I don't need to submit another certified copy... 
  • I am not submitting the I-693 because my DS-3025 from my medical in the Philippines (which indicates that all my vaccinations are complete) is still valid until November 2017. Correct?
  • For the I-797 date, I used the "NOTICE DATE" - is that right?
  • I'm only submitting a copy of my husband's income tax returns for the current tax year (2016), since I understand copies the past years' tax returns is not necessary.

THANK YOU <3

{MY NAME}

{MY ADDRESS}

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

USCIS

Attn: FBAS 131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL
60603-5517

May 9, 2017

Nature of the submission: I-485 - Immediate Relative (Spouse) Family Based Adjustment of Status Application

To Whom It May Concern:

Enclosed please find my Form I-485, Immediate Relative (Spouse) Family Based Adjustment of Status Application, and supporting documents as follows:

-       G-1145 – Form for E-notification of Application/Petition Acceptance

-       Payment in the amount of $1,225.00 payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security (for both the I-485 filing fee and biometrics fee)

-       I-485 - Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, signed & dated: May 8, 2017

-       Copy of birth certificate

-       Copy of K1 visa in passport

-       2 passport photos

-       Copy DS-3025 – Vaccination record, dated: November 22, 2016

-       G-325A - Biographic Information, including residence and employment attachment

-       I-864 - Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act, completed by May 9, 2017

• Copy IRS Tax Transcript for 2016 tax year

-       I-765 – Application for Employment Authorization

• 2 passport photos

-       Copy of I-797 - Notice of Action, Approval of K1 petition, dated August 31, 2016

-       Copy of Marriage certificate, issued May 9, 2017

-       Copy of I-94 – Arrival/Departure record

-       Photocopy of passport biographical details page

-       Photocopy of K-1 visa

-       Photocopy of USA entry stamp dated February 28, 2017

Copies of documents submitted are exact photocopies of unaltered documents and I understand that I may be required to submit original documents to an Immigration or Consular officer at a later date.

Signed,

{NAME}

Mobile: (xxx) xxx-xxxx

Just send a certified copy of your marriage license if you can so you don't have to take a chance of getting a RFE.

since you are filing AOS from K-1....You do not need to overload the package with pictures...etc.

For the vaccination record, just send in a copy of your DS-3025 will be fine, just make sure on the DS-3025 the bottom it says "COMPLETE"

For the tax returns...Only 2016 will be fine. 

Good Luck!

05/23/2019 I-751 Package Sent Through Fedex

05/24/2019 Packet Delivered to USCIS (Lewisville, TX)

05/31/2019 NOA 1 Received

09/20/2019 Case Status Updated To "Fingerprint Review Was Completed"

09/27/2019 I-797C Hard Copy Received (Letter said no biometric appointment is needed)

11/08/2019 Biometrics Appointment Letter Received (11/19)

Timeline
6 minutes ago, yutekao said:

since you are filing AOS from K-1....You do not need to overload the package with pictures...etc.

Agreed, since the petitioner and beneficiary will have included a lot of evidence in order to get the K-1. I know of two people in real life adjusting from K-1 who added a few wedding photos, their new rental lease, driver's licenses with the same address, proof that the K-1 spouse had been added to USC's employer-provided benefits, etc. These couples weren't called in for a AOS interview (granted, that could be for various reasons, and not just because they submitted additional information). A lot of additional evidence isn't necessary for the K1 --> I-485 but some can't hurt. :)

Edited by Allie D

Timeline
5 hours ago, yutekao said:

Just send a certified copy of your marriage license if you can so you don't have to take a chance of getting a RFE.

For the vaccination record, just send in a copy of your DS-3025 will be fine, just make sure on the DS-3025 the bottom it says "COMPLETE"

For the tax returns...Only 2016 will be fine. 

Good Luck!

Yes, will be submitting a certified copy of my marriage certificate/license. Just my birth certificate will be a photocopy. :) 

Thanks!

Timeline
5 hours ago, Allie D said:

You don't need to submit a certified true copy of your birth certificate with your AOS packet. A photocopy will do. Bring the certified true copy to your I-485 interview (if you are given one - some people are approved without).

Tax returns for the most recent year (2016) are fine. That's what my husband, the petitioner, submitted.

I didn't adjust from a K-1 visa so I can't comment on your other questions. It might be a good idea to include more supporting evidence (e.g. wedding pictures, rental lease in both of your names, joint utility bills, proof that your spouse has added you to employer-provided benefits, etc). Since you got married recently, you might not have had a chance to accumulate such evidence.

People who adjusted from K-1 will have more insight. Good luck! :)

Helpful info, thank you!

Timeline
4 minutes ago, snowcat said:

What is AP? 

Advance Parole, which will allow you to leave and re-enter the USA while your I-485 application is still pending. Here's more information from USCIS: https://www.uscis.gov/i-131

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Allie D said:

Advance Parole, which will allow you to leave and re-enter the USA while your I-485 application is still pending. Here's more information from USCIS: https://www.uscis.gov/i-131

Ohh. I don't think it's necessary in our case since I don't plan on exiting the USA any time soon (i.e., this year)... but how long does it usually take until I get my green card? That may change my decision as I do want to go back to the Philippines early next year.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, snowcat said:

Ohh. I don't think it's necessary in our case since I don't plan on exiting the USA any time soon (i.e., this year)... but how long does it usually take until I get my green card? That may change my decision as I do want to go back to the Philippines early next year.

I would apply for it just in case. There are no extra filing fees if you apply with your I-485 and the form is straightforward. There's no way to predict how long it will take for your I-485 to get approved. This depends on whether you'll be called in for a I-485 interview, how backlogged your local office is, and a variety of potential factors. Approval can take anything from a few months to over a year, even if you got here with a K-1 visa and have thus already been vetted to some extend.

Edited by Allie D

Timeline
1 minute ago, Allie D said:

I would apply for it just in case. There are no extra filing fees if you apply with your I-485 and the form is straightforward. There's no way to predict how long it will take for your I-485 to get approved. It can take anything from a few months to over a year, even if you got here with a K-1 visa and have thus already been vetted to some extend.

Ok, that's good advice. I'll prolly just go ahead and do that too. Thanks!

Timeline

Include two passport pics for *each* form. Treat each form as a standalone application, even though you will most likely get a combined EAD/AP card.

Edited by Allie D

Timeline

Here's information from a law firm website

USCIS clarified the photo requirements for the filing of the adjustment of status and its ancillary benefits in a teleconference with AILA Liaison on February 27, 2013 :

The adjustment of status applications should include six photos in total per applicant, if all three forms listed below are filed:

• Two for the I-485 Application to Adjust Status
  • Two for the I-131 Application for Travel Document
  • Two for the I-765 Application for Employment Authorization.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.