za3bour

Confused about this email from NVC

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Syria
Timeline

Greetings

I recieved today an email from NVC that said this 

========================================================================================

______CORRESPONDENCE INSTRUCTIONS:_________________________________
When reviewing your case, we noticed that your sponsor might not have a principal residence or be
domiciled in the United States. A sponsor must be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident who lives
in the United States and plans to stay indefinitely.

If your sponsor is living outside the United States temporarily, they must show:
 They left the United States for only a limited time,
 They intend to keep their residence in the United States, and
 Evidence of continued ties to the United States.
You will need to bring proof of your sponsor's domicile to your visa interview.

=========================================================================================

Can you please explain to me what does this mean? My wife is an american citizen and we're both living in Saudi Arabia. She left USA when she was 4 years old.

She is the sponsor and also my friend who is living in USA will be a co-sponsor as well. So what does this statement mean?

Thanks a lot

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Well you said your wife is your sponsor but your wife is not currently in the States and I believe she doesn't have an official residence in the States? in that case you should probably find another main sponsor or contact them and tell them that your co-sponsor is from the States and currently live there and see what they say from that point. 
It makes me feel by what I read that they won't accept your wife as sponsor for not living there in general (it doesn't matter if she's from the States as long as she doesn't live there officially). Does she has continued ties to the US? if so then you guys should show it.

K1 Visa Process

Nov. 2016 - Applied for K1 Visa
Nov. 2016 - NOA1 

April 2017 - NOA2 (6 months!)

April 2017 - Arrived to NVC

April 2017 - Got the # from NVC

May 2017 - Case left NVC

May 2017 - Arrived to Embassy

May 2017 - Got Package 3 

May 2017- Got Package 4

May 2017 - Interview [APPROVED!]

June 2017 - Visa arrived home

June 2017 - Made it to the US. Finally with my future hubby!!

July 2017 - Married!

AOS Process

August 2017 - Started AOS

August 2017 - NOA1

Sept. 2017 - Biometrics

19th Dec. 2018 - Interview date  [16 months]

Dec. 2018 - GC processing

29th Dec. 2018 - GC arrived home! [10 days!]
Remove Conditions - Soon...

Timeline
Just now, Andsco said:

Well you said your wife is your sponsor but your wife is not currently in the States and I believe she doesn't have an official residence in the States? in that case you should probably find another main sponsor or contact them and tell them that your co-sponsor is from the States and currently live there and see what they say from that point. 
It makes me feel by what I read that they won't accept your wife as sponsor for not living there in general (it doesn't matter if she's from the States as long as she doesn't live there officially). Does she has continued ties to the US? if so then you guys should show it.

Greetings

Thanks for the prompt answer.  My friend who is living in the USA will sponsor us, he submitted the tax info and he is also a US citizen. My wife can not sponsor me alone because 1, she dosent work, 2, she doesnt' live in USA.

We are intending to immigrate and live there. What makes me confused is that they didn;t say I need to submit anything, they just said I need to bring this info with me to the interview.

Tarek

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
2 minutes ago, za3bour said:

Greetings

Thanks for the prompt answer.  My friend who is living in the USA will sponsor us, he submitted the tax info and he is also a US citizen. My wife can not sponsor me alone because 1, she dosent work, 2, she doesnt' live in USA.

We are intending to immigrate and live there. What makes me confused is that they didn;t say I need to submit anything, they just said I need to bring this info with me to the interview.

Tarek

Hello Tarek,

Did you make clear from the beginning that your friend will be the one sponsoring? If yes, I would make sure to take a moment and call the NVC and ask them about the whole situation. I am most certain that they will be able to give you an answer about the whole thing and maybe then they tell you that the sponsor has to send a letter or anything to make sure this person claims to be the one helping you both or something. The NVC is open until really late at night so I would take some time before they close or before they open in the morning to call them as it is the only times I found less people and the fastest time for them to answer. 

K1 Visa Process

Nov. 2016 - Applied for K1 Visa
Nov. 2016 - NOA1 

April 2017 - NOA2 (6 months!)

April 2017 - Arrived to NVC

April 2017 - Got the # from NVC

May 2017 - Case left NVC

May 2017 - Arrived to Embassy

May 2017 - Got Package 3 

May 2017- Got Package 4

May 2017 - Interview [APPROVED!]

June 2017 - Visa arrived home

June 2017 - Made it to the US. Finally with my future hubby!!

July 2017 - Married!

AOS Process

August 2017 - Started AOS

August 2017 - NOA1

Sept. 2017 - Biometrics

19th Dec. 2018 - Interview date  [16 months]

Dec. 2018 - GC processing

29th Dec. 2018 - GC arrived home! [10 days!]
Remove Conditions - Soon...

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Andsco said:

Hello Tarek,

Did you make clear from the beginning that your friend will be the one sponsoring? If yes, I would make sure to take a moment and call the NVC and ask them about the whole situation. I am most certain that they will be able to give you an answer about the whole thing and maybe then they tell you that the sponsor has to send a letter or anything to make sure this person claims to be the one helping you both or something. The NVC is open until really late at night so I would take some time before they close or before they open in the morning to call them as it is the only times I found less people and the fastest time for them to answer. 

Greetings,

Will I have sent an email to the immigration lawyer who has sent the information, hopefully it's not a mistake that will delay our case.

Thank you for your help

Your wife is your sponsor. That cannot be changed. For a spousal immigrant visa the USC spouse MUST be the sponsor. The sponsor MUST live in the USA or show that they will be going there permanently to live before or on the same day as the immigrant spouse, no later. They must show that they have somewhere to live there (even if they are renting a room from a family member). 

The previoud respnses given to you are not correct. You cannot have someone else as your sponsor. You can have a joint sponsor - in fact, you will NEED a joint sponsor - but your wife is your sponsor and must meet the requirements of domicile or intent to domicile in the USA. A spouse is always the sponsor even if they are not working and don't have a dime in the bank. 

Where will you be living? What work will your wife be doing? They need to see that this is a permanent move and that you will be settling there.

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
6 minutes ago, JFH said:

Your wife is your sponsor. That cannot be changed. For a spousal immigrant visa the USC spouse MUST be the sponsor. The sponsor MUST live in the USA or show that they will be going there permanently to live before or on the same day as the immigrant spouse, no later. They must show that they have somewhere to live there (even if they are renting a room from a family member). 

The previoud respnses given to you are not correct. You cannot have someone else as your sponsor. You can have a joint sponsor - in fact, you will NEED a joint sponsor - but your wife is your sponsor and must meet the requirements of domicile or intent to domicile in the USA. A spouse is always the sponsor even if they are not working and don't have a dime in the bank. 

Where will you be living? What work will your wife be doing? They need to see that this is a permanent move and that you will be settling there.

Thank you very much, you are a life savor.

You are correct, my wife is the sponsor and my friend is a joint sponsor. As I mentioned my wife is a house wife, she used to work previously but not any more (as an art director). She is planning to work in USA.

As for me I'm an electrical engineer and I'm also planning to work. We are planning to live in Santa Cruz for sometime which is where my friend lives until I found a job. We might move to portland since my wife's sister lives there.

We are both planning to work, we have two kids who will be in school. We are intending to move to USA, it will be our permanent location.

She did sign a paper that she didnt work in the last 3 years and that she didn't file any taxes. 

So if I may rephrase my question, in the letter i recieved they didn't say they need any document they just said bring to the interview. Does this mean we need to bring documents that shows our intentions to live there (e.g. info about rent, info about school, info about potential jobs) which I already have with me.

thanks again

Yes. Bring documents to the interview that show you have made enquiries about schools, contacted rental places for apartments, that your wife has applied for jobs, anything that shows you are making concrete plans to live there. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to IR1/CR1 from Bringing Family Members of USC - As this is a spousal visa process.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

I received the following information from the lawyer. He didn't really add much !

you need to work on this issue before any interview is scheduled on your behalf and your children, because at the interview the Consul will ask to see ALL and ANY proof that your wife lives in the United States and that she has proof of domicile in the United States.

Timeline
4 hours ago, JFH said:

Yes. Bring documents to the interview that show you have made enquiries about schools, contacted rental places for apartments, that your wife has applied for jobs, anything that shows you are making concrete plans to live there. 

Thank you. I will work on that. 

6 hours ago, za3bour said:

I received the following information from the lawyer. He didn't really add much !

Some additional information that may help to clarify re-establishment of domicile in the United States:

The petitioner must show that she/he spends a preponderance of time in the U.S. This time spent in the U.S. needs to be over a period of time. In other words, the petitioner must show that the petitioner is truly maintaining a residence in the United States, not just traveling for a couple of months at a time and then returning [abroad].

Although there is no time frame [required] to establish residence, it must be convincing evidence of continued ties to the United States and that the petitioner has, in fact, taken up residence in the United States. Evidence that the sponsor has established a domicile in the United States and is either physically residing there or intends to do so before or concurrently with the applicant includes, but is not limited to, the following:

(1) opening a bank account;

(2) transferring funds to the United States;

(3) making investments in the United States;

(4) seeking employment in the United States;

(5) registering children in U.S. schools;

(6) applying for a social security number;

(7) voting in local, state or federal elections

(8) leases, mortgages, utility bills, telephone bills, etc. established in the petitioner’s name. Provide a photo of the petitioner holding a current newspaper with the date clearly visible standing in front of a U.S. post office and color copies of all pages of the petitioner’s international passport[ ] with page numbers clearly visible.

Hope that helps!

NVC Process Guide for UK:  NVC Process (timelines, numbers, documents, steps)  

_______________________________________________________________________________________

TIMELINE (CR1 Spouse Visa)
USCIS Phase (Married in England September 3, 2016!)
Spoiler
  • 09-22-2016:  I-130 Mailed to Chicago Lockbox (USPS Priority)
  • 09-25-2016:  USPS Priority delivery confirmation
  • 09-26-2016:  Priority date assigned (USC Spouse)
  • 09-28-2016:  I-797C NOA1 Email/Text received, check cashed; case sent to Nebraska Service Center
  • 10-03-2016:  I-797C NOA1 Hardcopy received
  • 02-15-2017:  Case transferred to Texas Service Center
  • 03-16-2017:  NOA2 Approval Date
  • 03-22-2017:  USCIS sent case to NVC, Case Status changed to "We sent your case to the Department of State for visa processing"
  • 03-23-2017:  NOA2 Harcdopy received

NVC Phase

Spoiler
  • 03-30-2017:  Case Received By NVC
  • 04-04-2017:  Case # and IIN Assigned (called NVC to confirm)
  • 04-05-2017:  DS-261 unlocked & completed, called NVC and reviewed over the phone (IV fee will unlock after a week)
  • 04-06-2017:  Received NVC Welcome Letter via Email, AOS Fee unlocked & paid online
  • 04-07-2017:  Called NVC again and rep stated DS 261 was not actually reviewed.  Re-reviewed DS-261
  • 04-11-2017:  Welcome Letter email received, IV Fee unlocked & paid online
  • 04-13-2017:  DS-260 unlocked
  • 04-14-2017:  DS-260 submitted
  • 04-30-2017:  Affidavit of Support/Documents sent via Fedex Priority Overnight (sent Sunday, to be delivered Tuesday)
  • 05-02-2017:  Affidavit of Support/Documents delivered to NVC
  • 05-04-2017:  Document Scan Date
  • 06-28-2017:  Checklist for Court Records (even though beneficiary has never been to court); escalated to Supervisor who requested case files
  • 07-03-2017:  CASE COMPLETE!!!  Called NVC on July 5 and representative confirmed status
  • 07-11-2017:  Case Complete email confirmation received
  • 07-13-2017:  NVC rep confirmed Interview Date assigned
  • 07-14-2017:  Email confirmation of Interview
  • 07-20-2017:  11 Week (77 day) expected Case Complete from Scan Date (5/4/2017)
  • 07-21-2017:  Appointment with General Practitioner to get all required shots and medical history
  • 08-01-2017,   1:10PM:  Immigration medical with Knighstbridge Doctors in London
  • 08-11-2017:  Medical files received by Consulate
  • 08-16-2017, 12:30PM:  Interview in London!!
  • 08-17-2017:  Visa status changed to Administrative Processing, then several hours later to "Issued"
  • 08-22-2017:  Passport with Visa delivered (paid for home delivery); paid immigration fee and added case to MyUSCIS for alerts
  • 11-18-2017:  Point of Entry at JFK in NYC!!! 

TIMELINE (I-751 Removal of Conditions for Spouse)
USCIS Phase 
Spoiler
  • 10-08-2019:  I-751 Mailed to Dallas USCIS PO Box (USPS Flat Rate Box)
  • 10-11-2019:  USPS delivery confirmation
  • 10-16-2019:  Text received confirming receipt number; case found in MyUSCIS system several hours later
  • 10-17-2019:  Check cashed by USCIS
  • 10-21-2019:  I-797 NOA received (Notice Date: 10/16) of acceptance
  • 11-01-2019:  I-797C NOA received (Notice Date: 10/25) for Biometrics appointment
  • 11-12-2019:  Biometrics completed
  • 11-13-2019:  Case status changed to “Fingerprint Review Was Completed”
  • 12-24-2019:  Case status changed to “Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken”
  • 05-27-2020:  Case status changed to “Case is Ready to be Scheduled for An Interview”
  • 04-22-2021:  Infopass appointment scheduled and extension stamp provided
  • 07-12-2021:  Inquiry submitted to USCIS for case beyond normal processing times (reply expected by 8/3)
  • 03-09-2022:  Received email response to inquiry from 7/12/22 restating status with no updates provided
  • 09-16-2022:  Inquiry submitted to USCIS for case beyond normal processing times
  • 10-17-2022:  Requested assistance from local Congressman
  • 11-28-2022:  Congressman's office received USCIS statement that "application has been identified as a potential interview waiver application"
  • 03-27-2023:  USCIS Requested additional evidence "as it has been several years since you've submitted this petition" 
  • 05-13-2023:  Sent RFE response via USPS certified Priority mail
  • 05-17-2023:  USCIS received RFE packet
  • 05-19-2023:  USCIS case status updated to “New Card is Being Produced" 
  • 05-22-2023:  USCIS case status updated to “Case Was Approved" 
  • 05-24-2023:  USCIS case status updated to reflect new Green Card was mailed
  • 05-25-2023:  USCIS case status updated to “Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office" 

Timeline
5 hours ago, JessieABC said:

Some additional information that may help to clarify re-establishment of domicile in the United States:

Hope that helps!

Thank you very much, it definitely helps. I've been reading about this since yesterday and I found also good threads here at the forum. The trick part is that my wife didn't live in USA for a long time and never lived there as an adult so she didn't have most of what is required.

However, it seems that things like trying to open a bank account online (we tried but failed so far), trying to register kids at schools, getting shipping quotations, finishing what ever arrangements you have overseas, etc should be enough. It all depends on the Counselor of course and whether he/she is convinced.

Timeline

I received this today 

The NVC received all documentation necessary to complete processing of your case. Your case is now waiting for a visa interview to be scheduled at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA. All parties to this case will be notified when an interview is scheduled.

Any idea how much time we're talking about? 2 months? 4 months? We are trying to expedite this because we won't kids to be in USA before schools starts. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.