bora bora

AOS interview - language difficulties

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I know I'm thinking ahead of myself - but what if our AOS interview comes along and my husband is not yet fluent in English?

He has done exceptionally well since his arrival 3 1/2 weeks ago, but I don't know that he'll be fluent by the time we have our interview.

I know we're talking about the future here, but has anyone gone through this? Does it depend where the interview is?

Edited by Bora Bora

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

As far as I know you are allowed to bring a licensed interpreter. You can not translate anything yourself for your husband during the interview, so if in doubt, I'd say go for the interpreter. We were in the same position as well, but luckily were transferred to CSC and didn't have an interview. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
As far as I know you are allowed to bring a licensed interpreter. You can not translate anything yourself for your husband during the interview, so if in doubt, I'd say go for the interpreter. We were in the same position as well, but luckily were transferred to CSC and didn't have an interview. :)

Hmmm, you are allowed to bring an Interpreter or you MUST bring an interpreter? Fernanda speaks no English now and I am almost certain that she won't be "conversational" in English at AOS interview. Don't they have a Portuguese speaking person at the AOS offices?

Fernanda's Timeline

K-1

June 2, 2006 - Mailed K1 Petition

Jun 28, 2006 - NOA1

Oct 05, 2006 - NOA2 - APPROVED after 122 days

Dec 05, 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Consulate

Dec 11, 2006 - Medical Examination in Belo Horizonte

Jan 10, 2007 - Returned Packet #3 to Consulate (SEDEX-10)

Mar 13, 2007 - INTERVIEW SUCCESS! We have our K-1 VISA !!

POE & Texas Wedding

Mar 27, 2007 - POE Houston, TX. No questions. Gone in 10 minutes.

Mar 28, 2007 - Marriage License app

April 4, 2007 - Our Wedding Day!

April 12, 2007 - Apply for SS card with married name

April 20, 2007 - Received SS card

AOS

June 4, 2007 - Mailed AOS

June 6, 2007 - USCIS received

June 11, 2007 - NOA1 for I-485

July 18, 2007 - Biometrics completed

July 20, 2007 - Case transferred from MSC to CSC

July 31, 2007 - AOS Approved - 57 days - Without an Interview!

Aug 06, 2007 - Received Green Card in the mail today!

Jan 8, 2009 @ 8:18PM - Our son was born tonight !!

I-751 - Remove Conditions

July 11, 2009 - Certified Mail to VSC I-751 Package

July 14, 2009 - Check cleared bank

July 20, 2009 - NOA1 & 1 yr extension - Receipt date is July 14. Case# assigned

Sept 1, 2009 - Biometrics completed

Nov 25, 2009 - I-751 is approved. No Interview.

Dec 14, 2009 - 10yr Green Card arrived !

Timeline

Hmmm, you are allowed to bring an Interpreter or you MUST bring an interpreter? Fernanda speaks no English now and I am almost certain that she won't be "conversational" in English at AOS interview. Don't they have a Portuguese speaking person at the AOS offices?

I don't think there is any hard and fast rule that you *must* bring an interpreter. Of course that makes sense, you have to judge yourself whether your spouse's level of English would be adequate to complete the interview. If it were me, I wouldn't want to chance misunderstandings. And the burden is on you to provide the interpreter - can you imagine how many interpreters they would need of all different languages to accommodate everyone?

ETA:

An applicant unable to proceed with the interview in English must provide, at no expense to the Service, a competent interpreter fluent in both English and the applicant's native language or any other language in which the applicant is fluent. The interpreter must be at least 18 years of age. Neither the applicant's attorney or representative of record, a witness testifying on the applicant's behalf, nor a representative or employee of the applicant's country of nationality, or if stateless, country of last habitual residence, may serve as the applicant's interpreter. Failure without good cause to comply with this paragraph may be considered a failure to appear for the interview for purposes of § 208.10.

(8 CFR 208.10(g))

Edited by jenn3539

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

You can't assume they'll have a person speaking your language. If my husband couldn't speak English, we wouldnt just assume our adjucator would be fluent in Spanish (though if biometrics is any clue, they probably would be) - if you don't think they can be conversational, get an interpreter.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Timeline

They probably won't have a peson who speaks portuguese so if they can't speak any English it's advisable that you bring an interpreter.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Timeline

You can't assume they'll have a person speaking your language. If my husband couldn't speak English, we wouldnt just assume our adjucator would be fluent in Spanish (though if biometrics is any clue, they probably would be) - if you don't think they can be conversational, get an interpreter.

Moreover, I've seen it explicitly stated that even if an interpreter who speaks that language is working at that USCIS office, they can NOT be used as an interpreter for your interview. You must bring your *own*.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Bora Bora,

If you are going to start your AOS process in May, you should have at least 6 months waiting time. Get your husband to an ESL class ASAP to learn English during these waiting months.

Timeline
Bora Bora,

If you are going to start your AOS process in May, you should have at least 6 months waiting time. Get your husband to an ESL class ASAP to learn English during these waiting months.

While this may be true, I wouldn't always plan on it. Our interview is on day 55 of our journey.

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Actually, you can interpret for your spouse during the interview if they are not fluent in English. We had a successful interview yesterday, and I translated everything - from the oath to the very end - for my husband to make sure he understood well what was being said. There was no issue with me translating.

2/28/06 - K-1 app sent to NSC

3/06/06 - NOA 1

3/31/06 - NOA 2

4/12/06 - NVC sent approved petition to Paris embassy

4/24/06 - fiance received instruction pkt (pkt 3)

5/05/06 - pkt 3 checklist returned to embassy

6/16/06 - CRIS-USCIS email "petition received"

6/21/06 - 1-797s (2) received, petition "received", "reopened" by CSC

6/26/06 - email, RFE sent

7/05/06 - RFE received and sent back to CSC

7/06/06 - RFE received, signed for by receptionist at CSC

7/11/06 - email RFE received by CSC

7/12/06 - touched (same message as day before about RFE receipt

WAITING WAITING WAITING

8/15/06 - NVC receives reaffirmed petition (no written confirmation yet)

8/22/06 - NVC sends reapproved petition back to Paris CHOUETTE!!!!

9/21/06 - Pkt. 4 received

10/4/06 - INTERVIEW scheduled\

11-14-06 - VISA RECEIVED!!!!![/b]

12/08/06 - Arrives - POE PDX

12/14/06 - Married in Vegas, Baby!!!

AOS

01/03/07- I-485 sent to Chicago

01/09/07 - NOA from MSC

01/30/07 - Biometrics taken

02/01/07 - touched

04/10/07 - Interview scheduled/AOS approved - I-551 stamp in passport

04/18/07 - Permanent Resident Card received!!!!!

Timeline

Actually, you can interpret for your spouse during the interview if they are not fluent in English. We had a successful interview yesterday, and I translated everything - from the oath to the very end - for my husband to make sure he understood well what was being said. There was no issue with me translating.

That is highly unusual from what I've heard. It even goes against their own regulations (see my previous post with the relevant CFR). Part of the reason for the AOS interview is to establish that the relationship is bonafide and was not entered into for the purpose of immigration benefits. A couple communicating amongst themselves in a language foreign to the interviewer would really make it hard to make that determination.

Timeline

I personally wouldnt take any chances since this is the most important interview you both will have. We definately needed one. Start looking for an enterpretor now and it helps to interview a couple so you are ready. It is nice to have one ready and have confidence in him / her before you begin to scramble for one at the last minute. We found an awsome one at our local university that had done interviews for immigration and he also taught Portuguese here.

Good luck

10Yr GC arrived 07/02/09 - Naturalization is next

The drama begins - again!

And now the drama ends - they took the Green card . . .

Timeline

That is highly unusual from what I've heard. It even goes against their own regulations (see my previous post with the relevant CFR). Part of the reason for the AOS interview is to establish that the relationship is bonafide and was not entered into for the purpose of immigration benefits. A couple communicating amongst themselves in a language foreign to the interviewer would really make it hard to make that determination.

:thumbs: It doesn't make sense for them to allow the spouse to translate...you could be making up what they're saying for all the AO knows.

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

Timeline

Have to agree with Jenn. To the contrary, I have heard that interviews were called off because the USC would try to help exlain during the interview.

10Yr GC arrived 07/02/09 - Naturalization is next

The drama begins - again!

And now the drama ends - they took the Green card . . .

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Or perhaps the interviewer actually spoke French and was listening in hoping to trip them up. They are sneaky like that.

t

:thumbs: It doesn't make sense for them to allow the spouse to translate...you could be making up what they're saying for all the AO knows.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.