27 posts in this topic

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Transborderwife said:

That's going to be the most difficult field to get a work visa for.

It's not a work visa though...it's through family...sorry I have read nothing really about the change trump may be making

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Transborderwife said:

I would not be concerned about it at present 

I know trump has changed a few things...but what are the chances of him doing this?? And would they not honour everyone waiting and it would only affect new applications?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
8 minutes ago, LeanneT said:

I know trump has changed a few things...but what are the chances of him doing this?? And would they not honour everyone waiting and it would only affect new applications?

We do not know at this point 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Transborderwife said:

We do not know at this point 

I had a little read there...I will need to keep updated on it lol easier said than done when you work and bring up kids lol

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
On 4/20/2017 at 8:18 AM, Penguin_ie said:

taking care of an elderly relative may be considered working

That's very interesting. I know someone who was able to extend his stay for six months to take care of his mother-in-law and then returned to his country. Another woman was able to extend her stay to help her daughter with a sick infant, since hiring a nurse was too expensive on top of medical bills. Again, just temporary cases and maybe USCIS was being generous. Just curious about what USCIS guidelines suggest such practices might be considered working. I understand how it might, since the sick relative can technically hire a nurse.

Edited by Allie D

Married to US Citizen. I'm the beneficiary.

Adjustment of Status (AOS) from F-1

• Priority date: 2016-09
  • Initial interview for I-485: 2017-06. Approved on the same day.

Removal of Conditions (ROC)

• Eligible starting: 2019-03

52 minutes ago, Allie D said:

That's very interesting. I know someone who was able to extend his stay for six months to take care of his mother-in-law and then returned to his country. Another woman was able to extend her stay to help her daughter with a sick infant, since hiring a nurse was too expensive on top of medical bills. Again, just temporary cases and maybe USCIS was being generous. Just curious about what USCIS guidelines suggest such practices might be considered working. I understand how it might, since the sick relative can technically hire a nurse.

Any activity which may displace a US worker is prohibited. I agree that it is not always executed equally...or at least does not appear to be executed equally. But people have been denied entry for this reason. People have also been denied entry for the purpose of taking care of their grandchildren, since that's a service a babysitter/nanny would normally perform.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
Just now, geowrian said:

Any activity which may displace a US worker is prohibited. I agree that it is not always executed equally...or at least does not appear to be executed equally. But people have been denied entry for this reason. People have also been denied entry for the purpose of taking care of their grandchildren, since that's a service a babysitter/nanny would normally perform.

Makes sense. I know two Indians who visited their daughters in the USA and essentially took care of the newly born grandchildren. They probably didn't state this on the application forms. They also had property and businesses back in India, so a strong incentive to return. I guess it's all on a case-by-case basis.

Married to US Citizen. I'm the beneficiary.

Adjustment of Status (AOS) from F-1

• Priority date: 2016-09
  • Initial interview for I-485: 2017-06. Approved on the same day.

Removal of Conditions (ROC)

• Eligible starting: 2019-03

Timeline

Hi 

it is interesting...I honestly thought they would extend it...and yes if something did happen obviously we would still have our house ect and I definitely don't plan on doing anything illegal it would purely be to help and I couldn't take my kids out of school for a long time...it would have to be one of us that went because the kids .

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You have the VWP

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.