Chrissy5683

Question for a good friend of mine

37 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, KierenHby said:

Nothing that I know here on VJ, but common sense should prevail. People need to research their overseas partners BEFORE starting the visa process.

Yes, common sense should prevail, but we know common sense is not a resource or a tool that all humans put in practice, not all the time, and there's a lot of naive people in this world. 

Just yesterday I was reading a warning of the US. Embassy in Ghana, encouraging USC to be aware about this kind of scam's, it means there's A LOT of people not having common sense.

yes and yes

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

A true scammer would have even waited until he or she not only got the 10-year green card but also after becoming a naturalized US citizen. Sometimes you don't find out about a person's true intentions until years later.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
On 3/31/2017 at 10:08 AM, Ryan H said:

Your friend needs to do the following:

• Alert CBP
  • Withdraw the I-864

Thank you..I'm giving her all info I'm getting here...we appreciate it very much

On 3/31/2017 at 10:24 AM, geowrian said:

I'd suggest also contacting the embassy that issued the visa as they have the ability to revoke it prior to entry into the US.

Thank you..shes doing everything everyone is suggesting she do...

Timeline
4 hours ago, ASMS said:

That is unbelievable, I'm really sorry for you friend. I guess this is part of the reasons why we all have to go through so much checking and scrutiny, But as Jawaree said "...theres still good ppl

out there in the world."

I'm agree with both, is there any kind of post collecting and warning others about this kind of situations? how to be aware of that kind of scam's and also giving out solutions to the victims of it.

There really isn't any way to determine if someone is for real. A lot of people want to enter the US and so if they see marriage as the way, they can pretend that they love the US citizen.

I'm not saying that is always the case but generally marrying someone you've just met in less than a year or even 2 years, is not a good idea. That is the case even if both of you are from the US.

A lot of it has to do with using common sense and getting to know the person well inorder to see red flags. If something just does not seem right, however minor it may seem, then it probably may be a clue to something bigger that you have not seen yet.

No one is perfect but there are certain things that, if not addressed, can lead to bigger problems later on.

Timeline

Thanks everyone for all the amazing advice ....she did everything that everyone advised ...and they revoked the visa and will be banning him so he will never be able to step foot over here...she also took it a step further and reported him to his job which he is a cop and they are looking to take actions as well.. so sad because they was together for 2 years and have a child together for him to do her in such way...but shes grateful for all of you and thanks you all for directing her in all the right places...may God bless you all

Timeline
21 minutes ago, jakelake said:

There really isn't any way to determine if someone is for real. A lot of people want to enter the US and so if they see marriage as the way, they can pretend that they love the US citizen.

I'm not saying that is always the case but generally marrying someone you've just met in less than a year or even 2 years, is not a good idea. That is the case even if both of you are from the US.

A lot of it has to do with using common sense and getting to know the person well inorder to see red flags. If something just does not seem right, however minor it may seem, then it probably may be a clue to something bigger that you have not seen yet.

No one is perfect but there are certain things that, if not addressed, can lead to bigger problems later on.

so true

24 minutes ago, jakelake said:

I'm agree with you, I even gave a warning to my husband about this when he proposed me (we had a little more than a year since we met each other when that happened).

Also, I must add that is not only about being naive, one person can spend years "knowing" someone, and still get surprised for what he/she is capable to do.

Being in love can certainly blind any of us, making even harder to anticipate this kind of things

Edited by ASMS
typo

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Chrissy5683 said:

Thanks everyone for all the amazing advice ....she did everything that everyone advised ...and they revoked the visa and will be banning him so he will never be able to step foot over here...she also took it a step further and reported him to his job which he is a cop and they are looking to take actions as well.. so sad because they was together for 2 years and have a child together for him to do her in such way...but shes grateful for all of you and thanks you all for directing her in all the right places...may God bless you all

That was really quick.

You posted something yesterday and it's already resolved the next day? And today is Saturday, not even a business day.

Generally, an investigation would take place. Both sides would be interviewed and a decision would be made before he is even allowed to travel to the US. A person is innocent until proven guilty.

I think that there are much more details involved than you posted.

Wow. What a win for her.

Bet he was pumping his chest after he got the visa in hand. What an jerk.

Tell your friend To go treat herself to something nice. She dodge a bullet with that one.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
54 minutes ago, ASMS said:

Just yesterday I was reading a warning of the US. Embassy in Ghana, encouraging USC to be aware about this kind of scam's, it means there's A LOT of people not having common sense.

On the other hand, that is unfortunate for couples who have a bona fide relationship but come from a country like Ghana. Some people have had to apply multiple times and have been away from each other for many years.

37 minutes ago, ASMS said:

Also, I must add that is not only about being naive, one person can spend years "knowing" someone, and still get surprised for what he/she is capable to do.

There is no limit to the level of deceit a determined person will go to. We've seen people even produce children to ensure their intentions aren't discovered.

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

1 hour ago, jakelake said:

That was really quick.

You posted something yesterday and it's already resolved the next day? And today is Saturday, not even a business day.

Generally, an investigation would take place. Both sides would be interviewed and a decision would be made before he is even allowed to travel to the US. A person is innocent until proven guilty.

I think that there are much more details involved than you posted.

It does seem fast, but fraud reports are taken as a priority. Given that the friend was the petitioner permitting the applicant to obtain the visa, it's not too surprising that they would quickly revoke the visa and do so without an investigation.

"Innocent until proven guilty" is a US criminal court motif. It does not apply to civil matters (like immigration), non-court cases (embassy decisions), and even then many times does not apply outside the US states and provinces.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
18 minutes ago, geowrian said:

It does seem fast, but fraud reports are taken as a priority. Given that the friend was the petitioner permitting the applicant to obtain the visa, it's not too surprising that they would quickly revoke the visa and do so without an investigation.

"Innocent until proven guilty" is a US criminal court motif. It does not apply to civil matters (like immigration), non-court cases (embassy decisions), and even then many times does not apply outside the US states and provinces.

I guess what I mean is that the USC and the petitioner may have an argument and in her anger decided to withdraw the application and claim fraud. I would think that the person being accused would have a say inorder to defend himself. After all, they have been together for 2 years and do have a child together.

You have to hear both sides. Because one side makes a claim, that does not necessarily mean that it's true.

46 minutes ago, jakelake said:

I guess what I mean is that the USC and the petitioner may have an argument and in her anger decided to withdraw the application and claim fraud. I would think that the person being accused would have a say inorder to defend himself. After all, they have been together for 2 years and do have a child together.

You have to hear both sides. Because one side makes a claim, that does not necessarily mean that it's true.

That's possible, but it's inferring a situation for which there is no evidence yet. The accused likely would not have any say about the visa aspect prior to it being revoked. I'm not even sure what they could say...even if they could prove it's not fraud (how?), that's not a sufficient reason to use a visa and grant a green card when their spouse doesn't want them there. Now if he applied for another visa later and previous fraud claims were made, then I could see the issue being raised. Until then, "why" the petitioner wants to pull their support isn't really relevant.

Absolutely. The OP provided information and the suggestions provided pertain to those circumstances. There is no benefit to the OP for providing false information and getting incorrect advice as a result.

As for the issue reported with work, that is something that I would hope they investigate and hear his side of the story.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.