bcking

Embassy changing interview date

15 posts in this topic

Not sure if this is better suited in the UK forum.

My wife is interviewing in London, and was given April 5th

Today she got an email saying that due to unforeseen circumstances they need to change it to April 4th. It says to reply stating whether that is okay.

She replied and got an automated response, one that says "don't reply to this email" essentially.

The website still has the original date. She tried calling but couldn't reach anyone today.

Any ideas? Her P4 and courier info both say April 5th so she doesn't want to show up on the 4th and have them say it's wrong. She also doesn't want to show up on the 5th since they want to change it. Seems weird to ask to respond, but not to accept the response.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I had my interview changed with the embassy in Sweden, from August 25 to August 22. Had to buy new train tickets and change the hotel reservation and all. It was a pain in the butt but worked out just fine. 

I only got an email too where they asked me to confirm the new date. I printed the email conversation and brought it to the embassy just in case..

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

11 minutes ago, Scandi said:

I had my interview changed with the embassy in Sweden, from August 25 to August 22. Had to buy new train tickets and change the hotel reservation and all. It was a pain in the butt but worked out just fine. 

I only got an email too where they asked me to confirm the new date. I printed the email conversation and brought it to the embassy just in case..

So the website itself never changed the date? It stayed with the original?

Did you reply to them and get a confirmation? 

Her email read this:

"Dear [Wife's name],

Due to unforeseen circumstances we have rescheduled your visa appointment for April 04th, 2017, at 12:00.  Please confirm your attendance to this address or provide a convenient alternative date(s).

Regards,

IV Unit

Embassy London"

She replied to "this address" and she got an automated response stating that the email she replied to is only for sending in documents, and that someone wont receive it.

8 minutes ago, bcking said:

So the website itself never changed the date? It stayed with the original?

Did you reply to them and get a confirmation? 

Her email read this:

"Dear [Wife's name],

Due to unforeseen circumstances we have rescheduled your visa appointment for April 04th, 2017, at 12:00.  Please confirm your attendance to this address or provide a convenient alternative date(s).

Regards,

IV Unit

Embassy London"

She replied to "this address" and she got an automated response stating that the email she replied to is only for sending in documents, and that someone wont receive it.

Has she tried to call them to confirm. I would show up for the  original date if you won't reach them to confirm. Is it far away for her to travel? If they really changed the date then she will come again if not then she won't miss it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I never checked the website once since I scheduled the interview. But since the website was set up to only show K-1 dates on Thursdays I can't imagine that they changed the date on the website just because a few of us had to have our dates changed. It was enough that the embassy and the people involved had an agreement on the new date.

I got a real response back after confirming though, not just an automated reply.

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

18 minutes ago, Lenchick said:

Has she tried to call them to confirm. I would show up for the  original date if you won't reach them to confirm. Is it far away for her to travel? If they really changed the date then she will come again if not then she won't miss it.

She is about 3 hours away. She is going to try to call tomorrow morning first thing. Couldn't reach anyone today.

If she can't confirm it I would say go on the new date (April 4th) with a copy of the email, but it is strange if she doesn't get a "reply" from them once she confirmed. It asked specifically for her to reply with whether that date works or with new dates, which she did.

How will the courier work? The courier sheet says April 5th (original date). Will they still accept it?

12 minutes ago, bcking said:

She is about 3 hours away. She is going to try to call tomorrow morning first thing. Couldn't reach anyone today.

If she can't confirm it I would say go on the new date (April 4th) with a copy of the email, but it is strange if she doesn't get a "reply" from them once she confirmed. It asked specifically for her to reply with whether that date works or with new dates, which she did.

How will the courier work? The courier sheet says April 5th (original date). Will they still accept it?

oh ok lol she was moved to the closer date. I  mistakenly thought it was otherwise. Sorry. Make her go to the interview on April 4.

Well, they don't always instantly update the website. I hope they will return to her within a couple of days. Sometimes gov e-mails are set up the way to give automatic replies but it doesn't matter they don't read the e-mails they receive. In any case, don't worry you still have time to find out.

Edited by Lenchick

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Progress Reports to US Embassy & Consulate Discussion.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

She called the Embassy this morning. Completely useless. They knew nothing. She emailed a "contact" number, but it says it can take up to 5 business days for a reply, which could put us at Monday, and April 4th is Tuesday.

When I mean "useless" i mean literally useless. She explained the situation to which he replied "So your interview was on April 1st and you think you need to go tomorrow"? He couldn't even see her original interview date, and did absolutely nothing. 

Edited by bcking

So the replied to her "confirmation email".

All they said was "Please give us your name, case number, embassy" as if they had never contacted her in the first place. She replied, and then they said "We will escalate this to the proper department"

Escalate what? THEY changed the appointment time, why does it need to be escalated? 

Another update:

It is Friday and the "new interview date" is next Tuesday. So just 2 more business days (including today) for the Embassy to confirm. We've sent contact forms from both of us with no response, sent a seperate email with no response. Her "reply" to the changed date/time has received no response.

The website continues to say April 5th. When you call the "Scheduling person" through the website he says April 5th, and actually tries to convince us that the email was a scam. I called the NVC again, and the first person on the line (After hitting 4 to "confirm date and time") says she still sees it is the 5th.

I'm about to hang up but I ask to speak to someone else, anyone else, that could help. Her response is "Oh well the only other person is this one lady who works with "post-interview" people" so she connects me to her. She says her job is also to help people on the day of their interview, when they are at the embassy. Her system says April 4th! 

So this one lady can see April 4th, but the only way to speak with her is to know to ask for her. Every other system and phone line says the 5th. 

Don't know if all embassies work this way, but hopefully no one else goes through this kind of #######.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

That's really frustrating.  Sorry that you have to go through it.

My compatriots during our own "era" were hosed (maliciously) in this same way by the Guayaquil consulate.  Your account of your story brings back those memories.

Be sure to return with updates.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Will definitely post back how things go. 

Particularly for the London embassy, but for any embassy really - Does the security outside the building (when you are in queue to get in) check your P4 letter with a list that they have of the day's appointment? Or do they only go off the P4 letter? My wife is still worried/upset that her P4 letter will say April 5th and she will be there on April 4th. She is worried they will just look at her P4 letter and send her off without checking inside. 

I would assume they have a list of current appointments but anyone notice?

She still never got a reply after she "confirmed" April 4th...The entire immigration process has been one unprofessional organization after another (USCIS, NVC, now Embassy). I don't see how the Embassies function with such incompetence. If she is allowed in on April 4th I look forward to call back the Embassy phone line, asking to speak with the person I spoke to before (i have his name) and telling him that when he told us to "disregard the email as a scam" he was an absolute idiot and should be fired.

She had her interview today (approved).

In the end the Embassy figured it would actually be a good idea to confirm the new date/time since the website never changes. They replied to her email Monday around 4:00 pm UK time (Cutting it rather close). So she brought a copy of that email, with her P4 letter and Courier letter that both said the original date.

Security guards looked at the P4 and the email, and cross referenced it with their list and it was fine.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Heartiest congratulations!  Thanks for the happy update.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.