8 posts in this topic

Hi All,

We are about to file i751 soon and we have a few questions regarding taxes.

1. We filed taxes for 2014 in 2015 as married but file separately because for the first half year of 2014 I was F-1 student and then we got married, then I had to go back home and started I-130 process. I already had SSN at that time because I took part-time on campus job. And also, on this forum, many said to file married but file separately during I-130 process.

2. We didn't file taxes for 2015 because we didn't make enough.

3. But we did file 2016 as married jointly.

So my question is: should we write an explanation letter for 1 and 2 and attach it with the package?and is there any example of explanation letter here?

Thank you guys in advance.

Best

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

There is an example of the i-755 cover letter.  At the top and in the middle, after the date, you enter i-755, original application.  Underneath then you enter RE: your name as applicant and alien number.  Then you explain with dots or numbers all the items submitted including the application, personal check, etc.  In one those itemization explained why did you not file taxes in 2015.  By the way, I would have file even if you did not owe anything, to have some paper trail.  A simple tax form you could have filled up or use Turbo-tax, etc. for free.  Of course, send the 2016 returns, better IRS transcripts. I do not think you will have any problems.  Enter all documents supporting commingling of funds and cojoint bank accounts, leases, mortgages, etc. 

Archie

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
2 hours ago, bolin786 said:

There is an example of the i-755 cover letter.  At the top and in the middle, after the date, you enter i-755, original application.  Underneath then you enter RE: your name as applicant and alien number.  Then you explain with dots or numbers all the items submitted including the application, personal check, etc.  In one those itemization explained why did you not file taxes in 2015.  By the way, I would have file even if you did not owe anything, to have some paper trail.  A simple tax form you could have filled up or use Turbo-tax, etc. for free.  Of course, send the 2016 returns, better IRS transcripts. I do not think you will have any problems.  Enter all documents supporting commingling of funds and cojoint bank accounts, leases, mortgages, etc. 

Just a quick clarification...Bolin, I'm assuming you meant the I-751 cover letter...

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

13 hours ago, bolin786 said:

Thank you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
9 hours ago, Derwood said:

Very reserved, Sukie. Well done.  I think bolin786 would have referred to that as a dumb mistake.

Yes, Sukie, I was. It was a typo.  I am referring to the Removal of Conditions application form also know as i-751.

Archie

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** several personal attacks and off topic comments removed.  Post with constructive advice for the Op or do not post. ******

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.