Eorop88

Nvc case status, confused???

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I called the Nvc on tuesday, and I fianlly got a case #. I asked them if i can start filling and submit ds-160. They told me I had to wait for them to sent it to the embassy and wait for instructions from them. I guess my question is can i start filling out and submit the form or do as they say and wait for the embassy, im confused because i noticed a lot of couples fill it out right away!! Please help, i appreciate all the help!!

Before you are able to schedule a medical or interview, your foreign fiance's embassy will mail a step-by-step checklist of items required to be completed first.  This checklist is what is loosely known as "Packet 3".  I say loosely, because every country is different.  Some countries literally call it "Packet 3".  Some countries call it a simple "Checklist".  According to the Mexican Embassy website, it is called "instructions":

https://mx.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee/how-to-apply/

This "instructions" checklist generally includes: Submitting your DS160 online, getting your affidavit of support evidence, getting your police records report, how to schedule your medical, how to schedule your interview, and other information. 

Once you have your NVC # you can use it to track your case on the CEAC website here:

https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx?eQs=o/iS8zDpeAKjMWCuebHqOw==

Once your case says "Ready", you will follow the instructions letter received in the mail start scheduling your medical and interview.

Now understand, the instruction letter is different for every country.  Some countries have it available for download on their website.  For example Canada Embassy provides a downloadable Packet 3 checklist PDF: https://ca.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee/

So Canadian K1 Visa filers do not need to wait until the instructions letter arrives in the mail.

In messaging VJ members from Mexico, they have to wait for the instructions letter to arrive in the mail. 

There is another VJ member named @minemar who's also going through the same process currently with the Mexican Embassy.  Maybe they can give you some advice as well.

Good luck

------

Yes, you can start filling out your DS-160 application if you wish.  But, do not submit it yet.   You can start the application, save it, access it again, and add more information as needed.  Do not submit the DS-160 until you receive the "instructions" letter with information on when to submit.

Edited by KimchiLumpia
To Answer Your DS-160 Question

K-1 Visa Journey

11/14/2016: K1 Visa Application Mailed To Dallas Lock Box

11/17/2016: K1 Visa Application Received Date

11/22/2016: Check Cashed By US Dept of Homeland Security

11/22/2016: Received NOA1 Text and Email - USCIS California Service Center

11/23/2016: Received NOA1 Hard Copy In The Mail

02/07/2017: Received NOA2 Approval Online - 77 Days From NOA1 Date

02/11/2017: Received NOA2 Hard Copy In The Mail

03/03/2017: Case Received By NVC

03/08/2017: Called NVC And Received Case # and Invoice # - CEAC Website Shows Case Is "Ready"

03/09/2017: Downloaded Packet 3 From Canadian Consulate Website - Emailed Packet 3 at 12:30am PST

03/09/2017: Received Return Email Packet 4 at 1pm PST

03/09/2017: Scheduled Interview Per Packet 4 Instructions

04/19/2017: K1 Visa Interview At Montreal US Embassy - Visa Approved - 148 Days From NOA1 Date

04/26/2017: CEAC Status Changed From "Administrative Processing" To "Issued"

04/28/2017: Visa In Hand

05/28/2017: POE Peace Arch Crossing - Blaine, WA USA - Experience Was Very Friendly And Welcoming

07/14/2017: Wedding Day

AOS Journey

08/19/2017: AOSEAD, AP Mailed To Chicago Lock Box

08/29/2017: Check Cashed By US Dept of Homeland Security

08/30/2017: Received NOA1 Text and Email For AOS, EAD, AP

09/05/2017: Received NOA1 Hard Copies In The Mail For AOS, EAD, AP

09/19/2017: Biometrics Completed

09/26/2017: USCIS Website Shows "Interview Ready To Be Scheduled By USCIS"

11/20/2017: Received EAD and AP Approval Letters

12/04/2017: Received EAD/AP Combo Card

12/07/2018: Received Text notification AOS interview has been scheduled

01/09/2019: AOS Interview Date - Approved

01/17/2019: Green Card In Hand

ROC Journey

10/11/2020: Petition For ROC Window Opens

10/17/2020: Petition For ROC Mailed To USCIS Phoenix

10/20/2020: Petition For ROC Delivered To USCIS Phoenix

11/04/2020: Check Cashed By US Dept of Homeland Security

11/04/2020: Received NOA 1 Text and Email

11/10/2020: Received NOA1 Hard Copy In The Mail For ROC

11/12/2020: Online - Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken

06/22/2021: Online - ROC Approved

07/02/2021: 10 Year Green Card In Hand

Hi!   

Unfortunately you can't go further with your process until you receive the letter from the consulate.  You can only fill the ds-160 online but you can't actually get an interview or medical done without that piece of paper.  

Trust me it's very frustrating.  If you're from Mexico you might end upwaiting from 2 - 4weeks to receive the letter after the consulate issued the letter since they send it through regular post office. 

You can either wait or travel to the consulate window and get a copy printed out. 

Good luck '!

K1 Visa

Spoiler
  • December 21, 2016 - Package Sent
  • December 23, 2016 - Package Received
  • January 05, 2017 - NOA1 text / e-mail
  • January 11, 2017 - NOA1 mail
  • April 04, 2017 - Case Approved
  • April 10, 2017 - NOA2 mail
  • April 24, 2017 - NVC Received, Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned too.
  • April 26, 2017 - Consulate Received
  • May 04, 2017 - Packet 3 Letters Sent.
  • May 15, 2017 - Packet 3 Arrived in Mail
  • June 15 , 2017 - Medical
  • June 16 , 2017 - Biometrics
  • June 20 , 2017 - Interview / Approved! 
  • June 27 , 2017 - Visa on hand
  • June 29 , 2017 - POE / JFK Airport, New York

July 15, 2017:  W E D D I N G ! ! ! ! !

AOS

Spoiler

• Spoiler

• August 16, 2017 - AOS Package Sent / AOS, EAD, AP. Affidavit.
    • August 18, 2017 - Package Received
    • August 26, 2017 - NOA1 text / e-mail
    • August 31, 2017 - NOA1 mail
    • September 05, 2017 - ASC Appoinment letter / mail
    • September 12, 2017 - ASC Appoinment
    • September 20, 2017 - Case updated to:  Case Is Ready To Be Scheduled For An Interview
    • October 28, 2017 - Case updated to:  Case Is Ready To Be Scheduled For An Interview --AGAIN-- ????
    • November 22, 2017 - EAD/AP  Approval letter in mail
    • November 27, 2017 - EAD/AP Card Received
    • July 24, 2018 - AOS Interview

• July 26, 2018 - AOS approval
  • August 03, 2018 - CARD IN HAND!!!  Finally!

•  

ROC

• May 12, 2020 - Package Sent
  • May 18, 2020 - Package Received
  • June 17, 2020 - Fingerprints letter saying they will use previous data
  • July 08, 2020 - NOA Received
  • December 14, 2020 - Case Update: New Card Being Produced - Email alert
  •  December 15, 2020 - Case Approved - Email alert
  • December 19, 2020 - Approval notice and card received.

:) 

Timeline
On 3/24/2017 at 6:16 AM, minemar said:

Hi!   

Unfortunately you can't go further with your process until you receive the letter from the consulate.  You can only fill the ds-160 online but you can't actually get an interview or medical done without that piece of paper.  

Trust me it's very frustrating.  If you're from Mexico you might end upwaiting from 2 - 4weeks to receive the letter after the consulate issued the letter since they send it through regular post office. 

You can either wait or travel to the consulate window and get a copy printed out. 

Good luck '!

You have already received this paper? Was there any issues getting in the mail. I have been living in Mexico for 7+ years, and despite people mailing me cards for holiday's. I have never received any. This is the fear my fiancé and I are having over this process. Why can't things be done efficiently, like Canada, and doing everything though email. Save time and loads of money

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/3/2017 at 0:58 PM, tab4768 said:

You have already received this paper? Was there any issues getting in the mail. I have been living in Mexico for 7+ years, and despite people mailing me cards for holiday's. I have never received any. This is the fear my fiancé and I are having over this process. Why can't things be done efficiently, like Canada, and doing everything though email. Save time and loads of money

Sorry for the late response. No we just got our case approved last night and now we will wait for NVC and finally the consulate. I'm worried I won't get the embassy letter cause I had to abbreviate my address due to the small space to put it in all the forms, I am guessing I'll have to go directly to CDJ and do everything there during 1 week or less.

Are you and your fiancé waiting for the checklist letter from the Consulate?

K1 Visa

Spoiler

AOS

Spoiler

• Spoiler

• September 20, 2017 - Case updated to:  Case Is Ready To Be Scheduled For An Interview
    • October 28, 2017 - Case updated to:  Case Is Ready To Be Scheduled For An Interview --AGAIN-- ????

•  

ROC

Timeline
14 hours ago, minemar said:

Sorry for the late response. No we just got our case approved last night and now we will wait for NVC and finally the consulate. I'm worried I won't get the embassy letter cause I had to abbreviate my address due to the small space to put it in all the forms, I am guessing I'll have to go directly to CDJ and do everything there during 1 week or less.

Are you and your fiancé waiting for the checklist letter from the Consulate?

Well.. firstly... Congratulations on your approval. :) How long was your wait between Noa1 and Noa2? I'm at 7 weeks now since the Noa1 email (still no letter in the mail). Are you and your fiance in Mexico, as we both are? For all of addresses, we both did supplements as our home and work addresses are just too long and abbreviating I would think would certainly cause delays in an already screwed up mail system. Our thoughts about CDJ is to get everything done in 3 days. Fly in on day 1, go to the Embassy if we don't get the invitation letter, do the medical in afternoon. Day 2 biometrics appointment and pick up medical packet. Day 3 interview and then fly back to Cancun.  

9 hours ago, tab4768 said:

Well.. firstly... Congratulations on your approval. :) How long was your wait between Noa1 and Noa2? I'm at 7 weeks now since the Noa1 email (still no letter in the mail). Are you and your fiance in Mexico, as we both are? For all of addresses, we both did supplements as our home and work addresses are just too long and abbreviating I would think would certainly cause delays in an already screwed up mail system. Our thoughts about CDJ is to get everything done in 3 days. Fly in on day 1, go to the Embassy if we don't get the invitation letter, do the medical in afternoon. Day 2 biometrics appointment and pick up medical packet. Day 3 interview and then fly back to Cancun.  

Thanks!  It took exactly 102 days after they received our pettion to get NOA2. Sadly my fiancé is living in the U.S. while I am in Mexico!

3 days? I think that'd be ideal, Idk if it's really possible to do it all within 3 days, What if there's a delay on the Medical?  I'm just too paranoid, that's why I'm giving myself at least one week to do the whole process, Although  I'd rather to do the medical and biometrics in Mexico city and just fly to CDJ for the interview.  I wonder if you can call them and provide the full address, maybe a 2nd address would be nice.  

Now I'm just waiting to hear from NVC and I'm really counting the days till I get to see my fiancé again.

K1 Visa

Spoiler

AOS

Spoiler

• Spoiler

•  

ROC

Timeline
On 4/6/2017 at 8:01 PM, minemar said:

Thanks!  It took exactly 102 days after they received our pettion to get NOA2. Sadly my fiancé is living in the U.S. while I am in Mexico!

3 days? I think that'd be ideal, Idk if it's really possible to do it all within 3 days, What if there's a delay on the Medical?  I'm just too paranoid, that's why I'm giving myself at least one week to do the whole process, Although  I'd rather to do the medical and biometrics in Mexico city and just fly to CDJ for the interview.  I wonder if you can call them and provide the full address, maybe a 2nd address would be nice.  

Now I'm just waiting to hear from NVC and I'm really counting the days till I get to see my fiancé again.

I have read the others review of their time in Juarez, and it seems like three days is enough. The last place on earth either of us ever wanted to be was in Juarez, and now we have to go for more than a few hours. If there is a problem with the Medical, which their should't as he will have a full exam in Cancun prior to Juarez, just to be sure everything: blood panels and vaccinations are all up to date and the general doctor gives a green light. Plus doing Medical Day 1, will allow for any follow up needed on day 2 (afternoon). I suppose we can extend if need be, but we cannot afford more than 3 days of no pay to be there. 

I already tried the call to USCIS... there is always a wait of over 100 minutes, and they have to call you back. Since I live international, they won't call me. I can only do things though email, and no one wants to respond to me. It really really sucks!

Tori

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.