Durant200

AOS and return flight cancel question

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello you all ^_^

I feel a little bit stressed about the flight ticket I purchased back in November ( round trip). Indeed I had my POE last week and I cancelled my return flight via calling Delta ( that is bizarre , everything went super fast , no fees added , no hassles) I was sceptic but the employee I had on the phone confirmed me that my flight was cancelled . I was supposed to have my flight tomorrow and this evening big surprise , I received an email from Delta/ Air France reminding me not to forget check-in and stuff :unsure: Another thing is , I have received nothing from Delta that confirm my flight was canceled ( a proof, receipt whatever ) and I checked my flight statue on both sites (delta/ Air France ) and my flight appear to be ready , it is strange , I guess my call didn't do nothing and my flight hasn't been cancelled ? 

I have have been reading stuff long before my POE about buying a round trip ticket and cancel the other portion otherwise we could have issues during AOS

With my current problem ,  is the form I-94 the only way to check if tomorrow it says "departure" ,or I won't have anything to Che k and it will be the big surprise once we do the AOS I'm denied for someone else fault ? 

An incorrect flight manifest is a very rare thing. especially for an international flight, but still a possibility.

Somewhere after check-in and before departure, the airline sends a message to DHS with the PNR data purging the system.

In theory it should not be possible to generate your data without you checking in, getting a seat assigned and boarding the airplane. In the past there were cases where check-in agents would generate boarding passes for last minute travelers using the old data, but this is mostly covered by the boarding agent checking your ID against the boarding pass before entering.

The system that generates emails to remind you to check-in is not directly connected to this PNR system but runs of the booking system. And it is not uncommon for it to generate mails after you canceled. Airlines are great at moving people through the air, IT is not there strong suit and you'll be amazed how many bugs are still in a system after years of using it.

So here's what I would do (and actually did):

Check the online system of Delta to see if it shows you taking the flight

Check the I-94 system/page for the next few days to make sure it does not show you as departed. If it still shows you "in the country" after a week everything should be fine. If not, it's time to take action and go the "deferred inspection" route.

Edited by Fr8dog

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, Fr8dog said:

An incorrect flight manifest is a very rare thing. especially for an international flight, but still a possibility.

Somewhere after check-in and before departure, the airline sends a message to DHS with the PNR data purging the system.

In theory it should not be possible to generate your data without you checking in, getting a seat assigned and boarding the airplane. In the past there were cases where check-in agents would generate boarding passes for last minute travelers using the old data, but this is mostly covered by the boarding agent checking your ID against the boarding pass before entering.

The system that generates emails to remind you to check-in is not directly connected to this PNR system but runs of the booking system. And it is not uncommon for it to generate mails after you canceled. Airlines are great at moving people through the air, IT is not there strong suit and you'll be amazed how many bugs are still in a system after years of using it.

So here's what I would do (and actually did)

Check the I-94 system/page for the next few days to make sure it does not show you as departed. If it still shows you "in the country" after a week everything should be fine. If not, it's time to take action and go the "deferred inspection" route.

I wouldn't say it's a rare thing...it's happened many times here on VJ.  I had to try and get one from Delta and was told that they couldn't do it, they were difficult about it.  Deferred Inspection is a good way to go definitely.  That and saving anything that ties you to the USA post flight 

1 minute ago, Transborderwife said:

I wouldn't say it's a rare thing...it's happened many times here on VJ.  I had to try and get one from Delta and was told that they couldn't do it, they were difficult about it.  Deferred Inspection is a good way to go definitely.  That and saving anything that ties you to the USA post flight 

Let me re-phrase than

Having this happen, after all the automation of the last few years, on trans-continental flights is rare. In order for this data be sent, an agent has to manually check a person in under your name. DHS has to not notice the discrepancy between boarding card and ID and the gate agent has to not scan the passport and manually override the boarding system.

Possible but rare.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Fr8dog said:

Let me re-phrase than

Having this happen, after all the automation of the last few years, on trans-continental flights is rare. In order for this data be sent, an agent has to manually check a person in under your name. DHS has to not notice the discrepancy between boarding card and ID and the gate agent has to not scan the passport and manually override the boarding system.

Possible but rare.

It's not as rare as you think.  It's happened to me on two different occasions, one time I got it corrected the other time I didn't.  

Interesting, especially the first one. Where a flight was changed but the I-94 still shows the early date. That leads to the conclusion that a number of things went wrong and most likely it's the I-94 system. Common in all of them is that the I-94 system is the one that leads people to find out about this.

So as suggested before, check that system for several days after departure (let's assume it may have the same lag as the SAVE system does) and if you show up as being departed go the "deferred inspection" route.

Uh... I had no idea about this :huh:

I know I had a return flight sometime in early January... soo...if my i-94 only shows my arrival...that means I'm safe? What a horrible thing to have happen. As if this process doesn't stress you out enough...

Edited by Suss&Camm

K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

giphy.gif

Timeline

I think you are safe according to what the other said , a few days after departure and we can figure it out , I hope having no hassles because I did things exactly like I was supposed to :( 

yes as I read you also have to go to the nearest office and fix it up :( 

6 minutes ago, Durant200 said:

I think you are safe according to what the other said , a few days after departure and we can figure it out , I hope having no hassles because I did things exactly like I was supposed to :( 

yes as I read you also have to go to the nearest office and fix it up :( 

I flew with BA too like the ppl in the first thread..lol.. so when I read it I was like :shocked: 

K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

giphy.gif

Timeline

I'm so glad you won't have this problem , the fact that you flew with the same airline shows that it could happen to anyone but it doesn't mean that you can have the same problem because of the airline :) I just try to stay positive , after all I called them , and it is officially cancelled despite the emails about check in ?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.