forena99

2017 Post NOA2 for Cuba K1 - getting ready for interview

415 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline
14 hours ago, TatiyPablo said:

Approved!!!!

Congratulations!!! I am so happy for you and your fiance!! ♥♥

P.S: Great detailed review of your experience! Thank you!

K1 Visa

11/15/16: I-129 Sent ♥

11/16/16: Received at Dallas Lock Box (per USPS) ♥

11/25/16: NOA1 Hardcopy received ♥

02/23/17: NOA2 notification ♥ (90 days)

02/24/17: Scheduled embassy appointment ♥

02/27/17: NOA2 hard copy received by mail ♥

03/17/17: NVC sent package to embassy ♥

03/20/17: Called NVC and got my HAV# ♥

03/27/17: NVC package received in Cuba ♥

04/03/17: NVC Hardcopy letter received ♥

04/24- 04/29/2017: Fiance's medical exam ♥

05/30/17: Embassy interview appointment  ♥ APPROVED! ♥♥

06/12/2017: Fiance traveled to the U.S ♥

06/26/2017: Social Security Issued ♥

07/03/2017: Married! ♥♥ 

07/29/2017: AOS sent ♥

08/22/2017: Biometrics letter mishandled by USPS *

August 2017 - December 2017: Filing claims at USCIS and USPS *

December 2017: INFO PASS SCHEDULED ♥

01/02/2018: Biometrics and picture were taken at USCIS Field Office ♥

14 hours ago, TatiyPablo said:

Approved!!!! Wow. What an experience, all went well for us. See my review here and let me know if you have any specific follow up questions. Thank you to all of the people in this thread for sharing your advice and comments, it was immensely helpful throughout the whole process! I will probably be posting with more questions once he picks up his visa, which as of today says Issued on the NVC site! :)

---

Hi all! Happy to report that my fiance and I were approved for our K1 Visa at the US Embassy in Havana. My experience was very similar to the below two reviews, but I will do a general overview. I highly suggest anyone applying read related reviews and forums on the K1 process in Cuba on Visa Journey. It is unique in many ways and myself and others have benefited from the wealth of information that is available in these forums.

1. Prepare. I cannot stress this enough. I came with four packets in clear folders, included cover letters and paper dividers in each, as well as small post it notes on each document identifying its purpose. Packet one included all of our personal information and interview documents - passports, appointment confirmation, ds 160 confirmation, visa fee payment confirmation, NVC letter with case number, NOA2, NOA1, fiance's birth certificate, single certificate, antecedentes penales, carnet de identidad, medical exam and receipt, updated statement of intent to marry, my birth certificate, copies of my passports (i have dual citizenship), updated and notarized letter of intent to marry. Packet two, which we learned should be combined with packet one, included affidavit of support and all related documents - my letter of employment, pay stubs, bank statements, w2s and tax returns. Packet three included continuing evidence - photos, a mix of hardcopy and printed, IMO screenshots, copies of airline tickets, baggage fee receipts, passport entry and exit stamps for my trips to visit him, notarized affidavits of bona fide relationship from my mother and one of our close friends, wedding plan proof - our invitation, emails with photographer, I booked for the wedding day, wedding reception guest list, wedding reception restaurant reservation proof, a relationship timeline, hundreds of emails, boss revolution and rebtel call and billing history, my fiance's etecsa phone records showing his calls to me, facebook messenger logs, and instagram and facebook photos from each other social media pages. Packet four included a a copy of our I-129F. I printed everything in color. The embassy workers laughed at how much I provided but thanked me a number of times for making everything so organized and easy for them, ha. 

2. Relax and follow all steps by embassy workers. My fiance and I got to Anti-Imperialist park at 5:50 am, our appointment was scheduled for 10:30 am, and the park was filled with people. I was the only American there at the time, it was clear everyone else was Cuban and no one was speaking English. I recommend dressing nicely, though it is not required, it of course helps to look your best. There will be people in the park trying to sell you folders or just general information in order to make extra money, don't give them any of your information as they are not embassy workers. I recommend bringing dry food (we brought energy bars, cookies, water and juice) as it can be a very long process. Around 6:30 am two embassy workers came out and separated the mass into two groups on different sides of the park where they would read your name from a list. The embassy workers up until the interview will only speak in Spanish, which was a little stressful for me as I don't understand Spanish and my fiance had to translate everything to me as it was happening. After we moved to the other end of the park and had our names called, we had to move to another line across the street (the embassy workers will direct all of this, so if it sounds confusing now, it wont be in person). Be patient if they go through an alphabetical list and your fiances name isn't called, there are a number of lists they go through. Once you're in the second line, you wait for the embassy workers to walk you in a group to the embassy, line up again, and wait to go through security. It took us only a few minutes to go through security as we didn't bring cell phones and finished our liquids during the initial wait. We were then brought to a small waiting room to wait to be called into the filing room. After about twenty minutes we were called to this narrow room, which is filled with a number of teller windows. You wait until the teller calls your name to go up and file your packet one and two, which you hand in while on the security line. Once we were called, the woman asked me to slim down my continuing evidence and put it into a dark folder labeled "evidence". I didn't want to slim it down so i stuffed in as much as I could, ha, and then we were told that we could present any additional evidence from that packet and our original I-129F during the interview. They will have a copy of your I-129f (in black and white!) so it's not necessary but good to have in my opinion. Then we were cleared to go into the waiting room for our interview. This whole process took about three and a half hours.

3. Interview. The waiting room is clean and organized, however, interviews are done in teller windows all around you so you will hear people getting both accepted and denied. My fiance and I waited about four hours to be called for our interview. The officers receive each packet in a big pile and sort through them at random. This is why I say bring a lot of food, after the fourth hour and two energy bars my fiance was starting to get really hungry, haha. Every interview I heard was done in Spanish, but ours had to be in English, which I think was helpful and really appreciated by the officer. Before we were called, I saw through the window that the officer was doing a thorough search through our packets and evidence. Once called, we walked up and I said "Hi, how are you?" and she responded in English, and asked my fiance if I knew Spanish, to which he responded in English saying "no," and the visa officer said she was thankful to speak in English. Then she began the questions, she asked my fiance first if he had traveled and if he was a member of the communist party. Then, instead of asking us how we met, she led with information I included in my packet, "So you met last year while you were studying in Cuba..." and I filled in the rest, she then asked how many times I returned, and I responded the number and added, "all to visit Pablo," which made her laugh. Then she asked if I was working, to which I replied yes, and then moved to the wedding question, which was addressed to us both. I decided to take the lead and told her of our wedding plans, she asked why the date, I said because it aligned with my father's work schedule, everyone would be in New York then, etc., and then she asked Pablo, "Is your family sad that they will not be attending the wedding?" and he replied no, as we are planning to have a wedding party in Cuba next year. After this she turned to her computer, entered some information and looked at us and said "Congratulations, you've been approved." I screamed and kissed my fiance all over his face haha. We were so excited we almost forgot the paper she handed us with the approval. 

4. Pick up the visa. My fiance left his passport at the embassy and was instructed to come back and pick it up in one week!

All in all it was a very smooth and orderly process, we were just unfortunate to be called close to the end, however, in the end none of matters when you are approved to be with the person you love! :) As everyone else has said, be very prepared, be calm and confident, and follow the embassy steps.

Good luck to all! :)

Congrats!!!!

17 days till our interview.

Prepping our I-134.

last year I was only working part-time and at a lower salary I made about 10k. This year was when I began actually working full-time after graduating and my annual salary without deductions is 25,056 which is enough for the 125% poverty guideline for 2 people. I have a letter from my employer, but it is not reflected on my income tax returns/w-2. I also, plan on including my last 6 pay stubs but they only show what I make with deductions which is below the guidelines. What do they look at most? Annual gross salary or your salary with the deductions?

Timeline
1 hour ago, eruiz3 said:

Prepping our I-134.

last year I was only working part-time and at a lower salary I made about 10k. This year was when I began actually working full-time after graduating and my annual salary without deductions is 25,056 which is enough for the 125% poverty guideline for 2 people. I have a letter from my employer, but it is not reflected on my income tax returns/w-2. I also, plan on including my last 6 pay stubs but they only show what I make with deductions which is below the guidelines. What do they look at most? Annual gross salary or your salary with the deductions?

Hi @eruiz3, I think they look broadly at the past three years. I would include a joint sponsor with your application. Though I make enough to support us now, I was in grad school the past two years so I included a joint sponsor with my application.

32 minutes ago, TatiyPablo said:

Hi @eruiz3, I think they look broadly at the past three years. I would include a joint sponsor with your application. Though I make enough to support us now, I was in grad school the past two years so I included a joint sponsor with my application.

We didn't have any one to co-sponsor because his sister pulled out last minute from helping us **sigh**

I might have my sister co-sponsor. I thought she couldn't because she sponsored my stepfather but I read it was perfectly ok if her income allowed it (which it does). 

1 hour ago, eruiz3 said:

We didn't have any one to co-sponsor because his sister pulled out last minute from helping us **sigh**

I might have my sister co-sponsor. I thought she couldn't because she sponsored my stepfather but I read it was perfectly ok if her income allowed it (which it does). 

I just got his sisters 2016 and 2015 tax returns.

Will this suffice as evidence for a joint sponsor? I am doubtful she will send me anything else. 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, eruiz3 said:

I just got his sisters 2016 and 2015 tax returns.

Will this suffice as evidence for a joint sponsor? I am doubtful she will send me anything else. 

Hmm I'm not sure, I used 2016, 2015, 2014, had my joint sponsor give me a letter of employment, last three pay stubs, and their bank statements.

Hi guys...13 more days till our interview, OMG!

For those who've been interviewed and approved, on the I-134 question 26 did you write your beneficiary's name? It says "I have submitted a visa petition(s) to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services on behalf of the following persons."

Also for question 38, did you check "I intend" or "I do not intend?"

I keep reading conflicting answers.

Thanks!

Timeline
1 hour ago, eruiz3 said:

Hi guys...13 more days till our interview, OMG!

For those who've been interviewed and approved, on the I-134 question 26 did you write your beneficiary's name? It says "I have submitted a visa petition(s) to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services on behalf of the following persons."

Also for question 38, did you check "I intend" or "I do not intend?"

I keep reading conflicting answers.

Thanks!

You're almost there! Are you flying down for the interview? I put yes and my fiance's info. And for 38 I checked do not intend, my joint sponsor did the same, and we wrote N/A K1 Fiance visa in the additional information section!

Timeline

Question for those whose fiances have arrived in the US. What was the process like leaving Cuba? Did they have any trouble, or have to go through any special process at the Cuban airport? And then what was the process like and their experience like with the officers upon arriving in the US? One thing I wonder is if they're going to question him about all the cash he's bringing, which he'll have to report I'm assuming?

And then in terms of buying his flight ticket, he was just going to buy a one way off jet blue or delta. Is that what everyone else did?

Thanks!!

1 hour ago, TatiyPablo said:

You're almost there! Are you flying down for the interview? I put yes and my fiance's info. And for 38 I checked do not intend, my joint sponsor did the same, and we wrote N/A K1 Fiance visa in the additional information section!

Thanks so much. and yes, I am flying out next Saturday!

Did you have any issues in Cuba with your visa or with any of Trump's supposed changes? 

Timeline
16 hours ago, TatiyPablo said:

Question for those whose fiances have arrived in the US. What was the process like leaving Cuba? Did they have any trouble, or have to go through any special process at the Cuban airport? And then what was the process like and their experience like with the officers upon arriving in the US? One thing I wonder is if they're going to question him about all the cash he's bringing, which he'll have to report I'm assuming?

And then in terms of buying his flight ticket, he was just going to buy a one way off jet blue or delta. Is that what everyone else did?

Thanks!!

Hello TatiyPablo!

Leaving Cuba for my fiance was no problem at all. He showed his ticket information, his visa, checked his bag and he was gone.

Once here, it took like 2-3 hours for him to go through. They asked him a couple of questions like if he was aware we had to get married within 90 days of his arrival. Nothing about our relationship, just about the nature of his visa. They took the package the Embassy in Havana gave him and they kept his passport to add the visa page. They allowed for him to go get their luggage and wait together with all the other Cubans arriving with different visas.

I bought his ticket through Southwest and sent him the confirmation page to his email, as well as giving him the number of his ticket just in case. So yes, you can buy just one way and off any company :)

K1 Visa

11/15/16: I-129 Sent ♥

11/16/16: Received at Dallas Lock Box (per USPS) ♥

11/25/16: NOA1 Hardcopy received ♥

02/23/17: NOA2 notification ♥ (90 days)

02/24/17: Scheduled embassy appointment ♥

02/27/17: NOA2 hard copy received by mail ♥

03/17/17: NVC sent package to embassy ♥

03/20/17: Called NVC and got my HAV# ♥

03/27/17: NVC package received in Cuba ♥

04/03/17: NVC Hardcopy letter received ♥

04/24- 04/29/2017: Fiance's medical exam ♥

05/30/17: Embassy interview appointment  ♥ APPROVED! ♥♥

06/12/2017: Fiance traveled to the U.S ♥

06/26/2017: Social Security Issued ♥

07/03/2017: Married! ♥♥ 

07/29/2017: AOS sent ♥

08/22/2017: Biometrics letter mishandled by USPS *

August 2017 - December 2017: Filing claims at USCIS and USPS *

December 2017: INFO PASS SCHEDULED ♥

01/02/2018: Biometrics and picture were taken at USCIS Field Office ♥

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.