Ruka

Married a week after arrival in US on Tourist Visa

62 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
3 hours ago, Daisy.Chain said:

You married on a whim?

Are you going back to your country to apply for CR-1? If not, be prepared for especially heavy scrutiny from USCIS.

Not really the norm. OP had a long visiting relationship with the US & could have ran off if that was the intent.

OP apply for your AOS if thats both of you choice

Just now, Transborderwife said:

If they're applying after two years of marriage they get a 10 year card and roc isn't needed.  

But if they just got married, as the OP said, then they will need to ROC -with evidence- as they haven't been married 2 years - is that right?

5 minutes ago, Transborderwife said:

Yes that's correct 

Yup.

6 minutes ago, Daisy.Chain said:

But if they just got married, as the OP said, then they will need to ROC -with evidence- as they haven't been married 2 years - is that right?

But AOS 1st and for that, proof of comingling would not be enough to include as they would not've been married long. They didn't skip anything but the K-1/spousal visa, from what most people are used to.

Edited by Marco&Bettina

ROC Timeline!

Service Center : California Service Center

NOA2017-09-01

Biometrics : 2017-09-28

ROC Approved 2019-01-17

AOS Timeline!

Marriage : 2015-01-10

AOS/EAD/AP NOA : 2015-01-20

Biometrics : 2015-02-17

EAD/AP Approved : 2015-03-17

NPIW : 2015-06-11

AOS Approved : 2015-11-24

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-11

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-08-12

Consulate Received : 2014-09-15

Interview Date : 2014-11-13

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2014-11-15

US Entry : 2014-12-31

3 hours ago, Brit1 said:

You're posting so much misinformation. They do not have to convince USCIS of anything of the sort - CBP granted entry, and thus the OP showed no intent of marrying. Now, they just proceed like a normal AOS.

Seriously, people need to stop this labelling those who didn't use the K-1 process as "illegal". 

Yep too negatively persistent in depressing others with misinformation

4 hours ago, Brit1 said:

You're posting so much misinformation. They do not have to convince USCIS of anything of the sort - CBP granted entry, and thus the OP showed no intent of marrying. Now, they just proceed like a normal AOS.

Seriously, people need to stop this labelling those who didn't use the K-1 process as "illegal". 

They will need to AOS like any others, then ROC. However, they may need to be more vigilant during ROC because of the unusually short time before the getting married on a whim. People adjust legally and without problem from tourist visas all the time, but those with unusual circumstances are more likely to be more closely investigated. Not misinformation : fact.

Edited by Daisy.Chain
Grammar

5 hours ago, Marco&Bettina said:

I've never heard of this 90 day rule.

Wait..Isn't the 90 day rule only for people without qualifying relatives? (I'm not sure on this.)

I vaguely remember it being the 30/60/90 day rule, and that it wouldn't affect a married couple. Anybody know for sure?

Edited by Daisy.Chain

4 hours ago, Brit1 said:

Ah, I get it. I wrote "AOS" thinking of "ROC" earlier- sorry! No wonder I was confused. They will need evidence to ROC, NOT adjust status.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

ALL They care about at the interview is that you are in a GENUINE relationship. 

I AOS on a tourist visa where i overstayed and i worked unauthorized and neither was brought up at the interview!

you are overthinking.. intent is determined at POE. 

also, you are in a better position because yes, you have been able to date and know your fiance/husband for a while. the IO wont even bring up the marriage after a week or anything! 

you are overthinking this.. enjoy your marriage!!! i didnt even file right away lol i think no matter how much people told me i would be ok i was still freaked out as well:/ 

also, what country are you from? what is your age gap? religion.. ect.. that is all they really care about! they asked me how we met and that was about all! 

good luck!! it is always hard not to worry.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greenland
Timeline

You will be okay OP.

Good luck!

Spoiler
Adjustment Of Status:

06/25/2015: AOS/EAD/AP package Sent to USCIS

06/30/2015: Package received
07/03/2015: NOA1 hard copies received
07/10/2015: Biometrics appointment letter received
07/18/2015: RFE notice
07/23/2015: Biometrics appointment
07/24/2015: RFE hardcopy received
07/27/2015: RFE response sent via USPS express
07/29/2015: RFE received
08/24/2015: EAD/AP Card production/Approved
08/28/2015: EAD approval letter received
08/28/2015: EAD/AP Card Mailed
08/31/2015: EAD/AP Card received
09/03/2015: Applied for SSN
09/11/2015: SSN received
11/30/2015: AOS interview (no decision)
02/20/2016: RFE2: New medical
02/25/2016: New Medical completed/submitted
03/04/2016: Approved/Card Production
03/08/2016: Green card mailed
03/11/2016: 10 Year Green card in hand :dance:

Naturalization:
04/11/2019: N-400 filed online
04/13/2019: Biometrics appointment scheduled
04/16/2019: Biometrics letter mailed
04/30/2019: Biometrics appointment

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
24 minutes ago, POM said:

You will be okay OP.

Good luck!

yes! i suggest you go celebrate.. order some champagne and have a fun time:) enjoy your time with your husband!!!  

9 hours ago, Daisy.Chain said:

They will need to AOS like any others, then ROC. However, they may need to be more vigilant during ROC because of the unusually short time before the getting married on a whim. People adjust legally and without problem from tourist visas all the time, but those with unusual circumstances are more likely to be more closely investigated. Not misinformation : fact.

But there are no unusual circumstances here - again, stop trying to scare people with misinformation.

The OP has been in a relationship for several years, and they have spent upwards of 10 months together in the past 3 years. The last time she visits, they decide they've had enough of the long distance, so marry at a court house.

One might argue that this is far more "natural" a relationship progression than the couple who meet online, meet in person for a week then file a K-1 application. 

To the OP, again you will have no problem.  It would be a good idea to start collecting evidence of financial comingling - so try and get put on the lease (if you rent), or open a joint bank account, added as a dependent to your husbands health insurance, beneficiary to any life insurance, etc. Then, by the time your interview comes around, you'll have lots of evidence.

50 minutes ago, Brit1 said:

But there are no unusual circumstances here - again, stop trying to scare people with misinformation.

The OP has been in a relationship for several years, and they have spent upwards of 10 months together in the past 3 years. The last time she visits, they decide they've had enough of the long distance, so marry at a court house.

One might argue that this is far more "natural" a relationship progression than the couple who meet online, meet in person for a week then file a K-1 application. 

To the OP, again you will have no problem.  It would be a good idea to start collecting evidence of financial comingling - so try and get put on the lease (if you rent), or open a joint bank account, added as a dependent to your husbands health insurance, beneficiary to any life insurance, etc. Then, by the time your interview comes around, you'll have lots of evidence.

Yes. They have a beautiful relationship structure. I honestly envy it a bit. In a good way, of course.

Your last paragraph: None of that is necessary for AOS, only ROC. I mean, they're all good ideas just to do as any normal couple would, but they won't need to show any evidence of that for an AOS interview, if they even have one. We did not. I just sent in my packet and eventually we were approved for my wife's GC. ROC on the other hand. Well we still have about 7 months until we can apply.

Edited by Marco&Bettina

ROC Timeline!

Service Center : California Service Center

NOA2017-09-01

Biometrics : 2017-09-28

ROC Approved 2019-01-17

AOS Timeline!

Marriage : 2015-01-10

AOS/EAD/AP NOA : 2015-01-20

Biometrics : 2015-02-17

EAD/AP Approved : 2015-03-17

NPIW : 2015-06-11

AOS Approved : 2015-11-24

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-11

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-08-12

Consulate Received : 2014-09-15

Interview Date : 2014-11-13

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2014-11-15

US Entry : 2014-12-31

32 minutes ago, Marco&Bettina said:

Your last paragraph: None of that is necessary for AOS, only ROC. I mean, they're all good ideas just to do as any normal couple would, but they won't need to show any evidence of that for an AOS interview, if they even have one. We did not. I just sent in my packet and eventually we were approved for my wife's GC. ROC on the other hand. Well we still have about 7 months until we can apply.

This is where adjusting from tourist/work visas differ from the K-1. In this case there will be an interview (it is only waivable for K-1 adjustments), and it will be the first time that their relationship will be "vetted".  A K-1 applicant has an interview in their home country; when adjusting from a different visa, the AOS interview has to verify the validity of the relationship. They could just use photos of trips, phone calls etc, but it would be much better (easier) if they start the financial co-mingling now, to have more concrete evidence. The ROC is then just more of the same.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.