CanadianButterfly

To use a lawyer or not-applying for K-3

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello Everyone, :)

I'm new to this site and I appologize in advance if someone has already asked this question. I have been reading through different threads trying to see if I saw my question posted already, but I didn't see it.

I am Canadian citizen and I'm married to an American citizen for over a year now. We're planning on filing for my K-3 ASAP, however we're not sure if we should go through an immigration lawyer for this...or just do it ourselves. Any advice on this would be great, from people that did use a lawyer/didn't use a lawyer.

Thanks everyone! :)

Canadian_Butterfly :)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally, if your case is complicated and you have the money then it advisable to get one. However, if you are the online type of person and a member of this kind of forums like VJ, it helps a lot..and you don't need a lawyer at all.

Edited by island_princess

NATURALIZATION

01-11-2014 N-400 Packet Sent

01-17-2014 Check cleared

01-24-2014 Received NOA dated 01/14 in the mail

02-20-2014 1st Service Request created for delayed biometric appointment letter

03-01-2014 Received 'yellow' letter in the mail

03-28-2014 2nd Service Request created since the 1st request had no response from the assigned Service Center

04-07-2014 Received biometric appointment letter in the mail

04-25-2014 At last, my biometric appointment!!!!

06-09-2014 Interview - recommended for approval!

07-17-2014 Oath Ceremoney USCIS-Orlando Office! I'm A United States Citizen

AOS AND EAD
02-13-2009 AOS Packet Sent
02-15-2009 Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
02-23-2009 Date of NOA1 (AOS & EAD)
02-25-2009 Check Cleared
02-27-2009 Received NOA1s (AOS and EAD) and Bio Appointment Letter in the mail!!
03-18-2009 Biometric Appointment
04-17-2009 EAD card production ordered!
04-27-2009 EAD card in received in mail
06-19-2009 Received interview appointment in the mail
08-19-2009 Interview Date APPROVED!
08-28-2009 Received 10-year GC in the mail

that is great but i saw that you are filing for your k3, just make sure you file your I130 first. Best wishes to you both.

Hello Everyone, :)

I'm new to this site and I appologize in advance if someone has already asked this question. I have been reading through different threads trying to see if I saw my question posted already, but I didn't see it.

I am Canadian citizen and I'm married to an American citizen for over a year now. We're planning on filing for my K-3 ASAP, however we're not sure if we should go through an immigration lawyer for this...or just do it ourselves. Any advice on this would be great, from people that did use a lawyer/didn't use a lawyer.

Thanks everyone! :)

Hi, and welcome to VJ. Looks at all the FAQ's and Guides before going to see a lawyer. This is a great site if you don't have any type of complicated application, however by all means get a lawyer if you think you need one.

I note your name has "Canadian" in it, so I suspect that one of you is Canadian! :)

Head over to the Canada Forum, under Regional Discussions. There are quite a few active members right now going through the same K-3 process! They'll be able to help answer questions.

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I think All VJs here (incluse myself) are becoming in lawyers!! jajjajaaja. I never thought I could move with myself in all documents of process. This site help me so much. Congratulations for all VJs and Welcome to you.

cordially, Mona Lisa Smith

First phase:

07/20/2006 I Married with my soulmate

I-130

11/08/2006 We sent I-130

11/10/2006 Nebraska received and sent it to California

11/15/2006 California received it

11/18/2006 NOA1

02/01/2007 Aproveeeeed!!!

I-129F

12/02/2006 We sent I-129F

12/06/2006 they received it

12/11/2006 NOA1

12/15/2006 they moved our process to CSC

12/18/2006 CSC received it

02/01/2007 Aproveeeeeed!!!

02/15/2007 NVC signed our case number and sent to Rio Consulate

03/21/2007 We sent the packet 3

03/23/2007 Today we received the packet4 from Rio consulate

04/11/2007 Medical exame completed

04/16/2007 visa tax payed

04/24/2007 Interview - Visa Aproved

06/06/2007 POE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant wait to be with my husband!!!!!!!!

Second phase:

12/28/2007 AOS Sent

12/30/2007 AOS Received

01/04/2008 Notice Date

01/09/2008 Touch

01/23/2008 Biometric appointment (done)- They corrected my name ( I have 4 names and on the NOA they wrote just 3 names)

02/21/2008 EAD card ordered

02/26/2008 EAD card ordered (AGAIN???)

02/28/2008 EAD Aproved (it s very strange! did they order firstly and after aprove it????)

02/20/2008 interview letter sent (I just received it 5 days after the date)

03/03/2008 EAD card received

03/07/2008 SSN aplied

03/14/2008 SSN received

04/10/2008 Interview appointment - Aproveeeeeeed

04/15/2008 GC already ordered - Yahooooooooooooooooooo ooo ooooo!

ROC Sent

01/15/2010 I-751

Thank God and the VJ`s.

In God We trust!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

If you're good at following instructions and are detailed oriented, then all you would need is this forum to get most of the information you might need. I've read several posts of people not being too happy with their lawyers regarding documentation and misleading information.

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

WELCOME TO VJ ! (F)

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Welcome to VJ!!

I have gotten better advice here than any Immigration Lawyer could give. 7 months ago- I was a mess. Trying to find answers and getting reliable advice was a nightmare. I was so happy to find VJ.

Unless you have any complex issues regarding your case, you can find almost everything you need to know right here.

Wow thanks everyone! Everyone on here seems so nice! :)

This site really seems like it will be able to help me...Right now I'm like a crazy person up till all hours of the night reading whatever I can about immigration, border crossing, visa's... My eyes burn now! LOL

We will consider what everyone has to say, to help us make our decision. If anyone has any other information about this, that would be really appreciated as well.

Thanks again everyone! :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

As others have stated, if your case isn't complicated and you're detailed oriented, there's no need for a lawyer. We filed and received a K3 without the help of a lawyer. All we needed was the guides to this site and members' advice.

Good luck!

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We hired a lawyer and wish we had not!! We had not found VJ, both were busy, so we hired a lawyer, big waste of $$$, like $2500 plus filings!! If ur case is straight forward (no criminal charges, etc) you can do it urself. The lawyer really doesnt do much!! Al our lawyer did was collect the paperwork, mailed them to us, we filled them out, mailed them back to her, she double checked them, and mailed them where they had to go!! You stil have to colelct the proper documents (long from birth cert, police record) lawyer really doesnt do much!! Save the $$$, spend some time on here, and you should be set!! take your time filling out the forms:

1) ensure it is legible!!

2)No white out!!!

3) One requires a long form birth cert (Canadian) it is the 1 that lists your birth parents on the form.

4)Background check, for every country you have lived in for 6 months or more for every country!! For canada, you just need 1 that covers the whole country!! Can be obtained at most local RCMP detachments and Local police stations, or in the Greater Toronto area the Commisionaires (http://www.commissionaires.ca/) It is a easy document to obtain, some give it to u on the spot, some take longer, some charge no fee, some do!! Should say somewhere onthe document that the search was conducted CANADA wide or mentions Cpik(think thats what it is called??)

5) If you have ever had a criminal record, you will need fingerprinting!! NO criminal record, no fingerprinting, just the above mentioned background check!

6) Ensure you make copies of everything you mail in!!!

And most of all be patient!! Another option since you are already married is the Cr-1 (married for less than 2 yrs, IR-1 is married for over 2 yrs)

Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Lawyers gets paid lots of monies! That $2500 is enough to live for one month! So if he has 12 clients, he can live for 12 months, and doing only a few hours worth of work. LOL

Edited by consolemaster

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.