anne.b

F1 Visa, fiance is american. Long distance relationship

10 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My fiance and I met in college 5 years ago and he proposed recently. We've been long distance for the past 4 years of our relationship. I am canadian was on F1 for college and now on F1 for graduate school. He works in another state and is an american citizen. We want to have a courthouse wedding in the next couple of months to begin the green card application process. Both our parents will be there at the wedding. We will have a proper big wedding later when we have more money. 

My concern is that because it's a courthouse wedding and we don't live together currently due to our long distance relationship, will that raise red flags when we apply for the green card? We do own a car together and have a joint bank account. Our friends and family can write letters. 

Will not be an issue. 

Good luck on your journey.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

This was my exact situation. I was an F1 student living in NYC with an American fiance living in Wisconsin. We married and I did my biometrics in NYC, then I moved to Wisconsin and completed the process. I had my green card in 3 months. Best of luck! :)

AOS

03/24/11 - Got married in the Boogie-Down Bronx, NYC!
04/21/11 - Mailed I-130,I-765, I-485, I-864 and I-693 - Day 00

04/23/11 - Application delivered - Day 02
04/28/11 - NOA (most forms) - Day 07
05/03/11 - Checks cashed - Day 12
05/31/11 - Biometrics completed in the Bronx, NYC - Day 40
06/24/11 - Received someone else's employment authorization card!!! What the...? - Day 64
07/01/11 - Mailed the poor lady's card back after calling USCIS - Day 71
07/07/11 - Received poor lady's interview notice! What??? - Day 77
07/15/11 - Received my own EAD card - Day 85
08/12/11 - Interview. Approved on the spot! - Day 113
08/18/11 - Received card in the mail - Day 119

ROC
05/28/13 - Mailed I-751 - Day 00

05/30/13 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/31/13 - NOA I-797 - Day 03
06/04/13 - Check cashed - Day 07

06/06/13 - NOA delivered to my home/Biometrics letter generated - Day 09

06/10/13 - Received Biometrics letter in the mail - Day 13

06/27/13 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 30

09/10/13 - Application approved! - Day 105

09/14/13 - 10 year Green Card received! - Day 109

Citizenship

05/10/16 - Mailed N-400 - Day 00

05/12/16 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/13/16 - Credit card payment accepted - Day 03

05/17/16 - Received text & email update - Day 07

05/20/16 - Received 1st NOA (dated 05/13/16) & created ELIS acct - Day 10

05/21/16 - Received 2nd NOA (dated 05/16/16) confirming my DOB and address - Day 11

05/22/06 - Biometrics scheduled (online update) and appt letter was mailed on 05/20/16 - Day 12

05/24/06 - Biometrics letter became viewable online (appt scheduled for 06/07/16) - Day 14

05/27/16 - Received Biometrics letter in mail - Day 17

05/31/16 - Was denied walk-in fingerprints with just 1 person left in line. Milwaukee office, boo! - Day 21

06/07/16 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 28

12/21/16 - Passed Citizenship test/Interview was successful! - Day 197

01/26/17 - I am a US citizen!!! - Day 233

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

It's a red flag, but with a 5 year relationship I am sure you will have plenty of bonafide evidence.  Do be prepared to be asked the question about when you will live together again though.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

It sounds like you'll be adjusting your status, not getting a visa am I correct?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes that is correct, I would be adjusting my status. I am not too worried about proving our relationship, given that he was at my graduation and we have pictures dating back to 2012 and I am in every single Christmas card. But that's all the soft stuff and we don't have any hard evidence other than joint account and car. The fact that it's a courthouse wedding instead of some huge thing doesn't help, or so I am told :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

******  Moving from CR-1 spousal visa to AOS from student visa forum ******

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Whomever told you this wasnt helping you.  It doesnt matter how you're married as long as it's legal.  In Colorado, for instance, you can marry yourselves at the dmv.  Doesn't make it any less of a marriage than a 20k over the top big tadoo. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: South Korea
Timeline

I have a marriage where we are currently long-distance for the majority of the time for one more year. My IO wanted documents to explain why we were long distance even though we were married. He was understanding and kind about hearing how our relationship evolved and came to be, but not enthusiastic about our lack of joint documents such as car/lease. We only had a bank account with both our names on it. We had photos, extensive travel records/ticket stubs and letters we had sent each other, but he said they didn't show why I didn't "live" with him full time as husband and wife. What he tipped him from recommending us for a second interview to approval on the spot were my school documents showing my $10,000/yr reward from my school and room-agreement (as documented "reasons" for why I'd want to attend a school that wasn't local or closer to my husband), and my husband's current hefty salary (as a documented reason for why he wouldn't just up and leave to come live with me). We tried to also support why my husband wouldn't want to leave his current residence with the custody order for visitation with his child, but the IO didn't seem too interested in that, strangely enough. He really stressed showing documents to back up our narrative of why our relationship is the way it is. 

My advice is, grab every little thing you can that has both your names on it, period. If you can make a power of attorney or medical directive thing going, it wouldn't hurt to add to the pile. Heck, get affidavits from as many trusted people as you can. My IO was very generous with my case. Your IO may not be. 

Edited by Cadence

05/24/2016 [Day 0] Sent in I-130/I-485

05/26/2016 [Day 2] Package received at Chicago Office

06/01/2016 [Day 8] Received 2 acceptance notification emails

06/03/2016 [Day 10] Received NOA1, priority date 05/26/2016

06/18/2016 [Day 25] Received biometrics letter, 06/27/2016

06/27/2016 [Day 34] Went to Biometrics appointment

07/11/2016 [Day 49] RFIE issued

07/25/2016 [Day 49] Sent RFIE response (total 63 days since start, RFIE paused timer AFAIK)

07/28/2016 [Day 49] RFIE response arrived and signed for by M Sievers; Case updated to 'Response received' (total 66 days)

11/09/2016 [Day 153] Interview scheduled for 12/12/16!!! (total 170 days)

12/12/2016 [Day 186] Approved at the interview (total 203 days)

12/14/2016 [Day 188] Online status update to 'approved' for both I-130 and I-485 (total 205 days)

12/15/2016 [Day 189] Card was sent! (total 206 days)

12/17/2016 [Day 191] Received two I-797s for I-130/I-485 acceptance (total 208 days)

12/19/2016 [Day 193] Card received! (total 210 days)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.