Grotesquejak

PDF Editors - Can I use online signature tools to sign the documents from another country?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

My gf and I are trying to fill out the K1 and she's in the states and I'm in Canada. We want to get this thing sent since we weren't able to when we originally planned a few months ago when I was there.

But now we are scratching our heads as to what the best way to get my signature on to the documents - and subsequently how to avoid any mistakes.

Can we reliably use services like dochub which have a signature feature for PDF editing to sign my name on our documents online and then just have her print those PDFs in the US and send it from there? Otherwise, we would have to print the documents, have me sign, then have me scan the doc back online to send to her to print and send in.

Which method is better, if the former is even possible for this sort of form.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

All documents that require Signatures have to be original, and you have to submit the originals. Application will be returned if it is a scanned signature.

Edited by Pinkrlion

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

All documents that require Signatures have to be original, and you have to submit the originals. Application will be returned if it is a scanned signature.

This is not accurate, it has been argued many times and it never seems to get resolved honest..

OP, for the I-129F petition the beneficiary has been able to sign, then scan and email their paperwork to the petitioner for quite awhile now.

The petitioner's signature should always be original; but the beneficiaries may be copies at this stage.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

16 hours ago, Pinkrlion said:

This is incorrect. You can print, sign, and scan the document just fine and it will not be returned.

As for the OP's question regarding the use of a digital signature, I've dealt with this subject with some level of technical detail and alongside an attorney. I'm not a lawyer or even a professional here. But The discussions I had with the attorney covered the requirements for a digital signature to be recognized as valid, and the application I developed is still in use today and uses multiple digital signatures for employment contracts. Based on what I've been told, a digital signature is just as valid as a handwritten one so long as it conforms to the legal requirements for a digital signature. I can't speak as to what any generic PDF software uses, or even the big-name (i.e. Adobe) uses if that meets those requirements. I'm assuming they do as it's a pretty decent sell for their business, but I cannot confirm. That said, here's Adobe's take on the matter and why they believe their software meets the requirements: http://blogs.adobe.com/security/2008/05/this_is_legal_right.html.

In general, the E-SIGN Act states:

a signature, contract, or other record relating to such transaction may not be denied legal effect, validity, or enforceability solely because it is in electronic form; and (2) a contract relating to such transaction may not be denied legal effect, validity, or enforceability solely because an electronic signature or electronic record was used in its formation.

To me, that implies that USCIS cannot deny a petition because it was (properly) signed digitally instead of by hand. Edit: I believe the consulates and embassies would be covered by this as well, but that's another legal matter that probably isn't worth fighting.

That said...I personally printed my I-129F forms and signed them by hand. Even though I strongly believe the digital form would hold up, it's a couple extra minutes and some toner of work versus having to fight them or deal with RFEs. Pick and choose your battles...and this one probably isn't worth fighting. :)

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Actually the USCIS and the NVC can and has RFE (request for evidence) and checklisted for items without what they assume are not original "wet" signatures.  

So yes, sign the items and mail or courier them to the opposite half in the process.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Yeah they won't deny the petition, but they can just RFE for wet signatures. If they have ANY doubt the signatures aren't real, they can RFE. 

I agree though, it's a lot better to just get wet signatures on everything than risk getting an adjudicator that prefers wet signatures and end up with an RFE that will cause you to do what you're avoiding now and delay your processing.

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 hours ago, geowrian said:

That said...I personally printed my I-129F forms and signed them by hand. Even though I strongly believe the digital form would hold up, it's a couple extra minutes and some toner of work versus having to fight them or deal with RFEs. Pick and choose your battles...and this one probably isn't worth fighting. :)

I agree 100% - 

I'll be forking over $100 for the FEDEX trip to the Philiipines in 4 days just for the damn wet signature.... 

FYI - to make it worth it - I obtained an additional credit card under my fiances name (just an authorized user) and will be sending that to her as well in the FEDEX package.  That way I dont have to keep doing the MoneyGrams.   My only worry is if that FEDEX makes it to her doorstep unmolested.

K1 VISA
10/23/16....I-129F FEDEX 2nd day to Lewisville, TX
10/26/16....Delivered at Lewisville, TX

10/28/16....NOA1 Text and Email

10/28/16....NOA1 Date on Hard Copy Notice
11/04/16....NOA1 Hard Copy Received

w..a...i...t...i...n...g........ :clock:

11/22/16....NOA2 Text Only

11/22/16....NOA2 Approval Date - no email yet
11/28/16....NOA2 Hard Copy Received

w..a..i...t...i...n...g........ :clock:

12/06/16....Called NVC - No case yet (15 days after NOA2)

12/12/16....Called NVC - I-129F Received - no case number yet.

12/13/16....Case Number Received

12/15/16....Case status set as "In Transit"  to US Embassy in Manilla, PH

12/19/16....Embassy Received. Case status set as "Ready"

12/19/16....Emailed NVC asking for case information as it was never received (I know its too early - Just Do It Anyway)

xx/xx/xx......Never Received NVC letter hard copy from NVC (STILL MISSING GRRRRR)

01/03/17....NVC replied to email providing NVC letter and info

01/04/17....Medical Completed

01/04/17....Fedex I-134 (wet signature) and all documents needed from petitioner for CFO and for the USEM interview (employment, divorce decree, etc...)
02/08/17....Interview 
02/09/17....Visa Issued

02/15/17....Visa In Hand :jest:

02/17/17....CFO Interview, Yellow sticker in hand

03/07/17....POE - San Francisco, CA

Timeline

Hi guys! If it's any help, the USCIS confirmed that it's definitely okay to just submit a scanned document of the signature as we have personally inquired. My fiance took the extra mile to have that info verified since we're neat geeks. 

The misinformation line strikes again.  I hope it works out for you.  Best of luck in your journey. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
On 12/30/2016 at 3:38 PM, jstryker said:

I agree 100% - 

I'll be forking over $100 for the FEDEX trip to the Philiipines in 4 days just for the damn wet signature.... 

FYI - to make it worth it - I obtained an additional credit card under my fiances name (just an authorized user) and will be sending that to her as well in the FEDEX package.  That way I dont have to keep doing the MoneyGrams.   My only worry is if that FEDEX makes it to her doorstep unmolested.

I lied.   It ended up being $180.  ???

I'm watching those wet signatures and the Visa card travel to the philipines by tracking the FedEx.  It went to Oakland, CA then to Anchorage, Alaska.   It's taking the scenic route to the Philippines.

Send wet smooshy dripping sloppy inky signatures or u will be doing it later.... Or you could gamble and try a scan... But why do that unless this process is not important?   

Now the CFO process and their requirements for all my personal info... They can go to h.e. double hockey sticks.

K1 VISA
10/23/16....I-129F FEDEX 2nd day to Lewisville, TX
10/26/16....Delivered at Lewisville, TX

10/28/16....NOA1 Text and Email

10/28/16....NOA1 Date on Hard Copy Notice
11/04/16....NOA1 Hard Copy Received

w..a...i...t...i...n...g........ :clock:

11/22/16....NOA2 Text Only

11/22/16....NOA2 Approval Date - no email yet
11/28/16....NOA2 Hard Copy Received

12/06/16....Called NVC - No case yet (15 days after NOA2)

12/12/16....Called NVC - I-129F Received - no case number yet.

12/13/16....Case Number Received

12/15/16....Case status set as "In Transit"  to US Embassy in Manilla, PH

12/19/16....Embassy Received. Case status set as "Ready"

12/19/16....Emailed NVC asking for case information as it was never received (I know its too early - Just Do It Anyway)

xx/xx/xx......Never Received NVC letter hard copy from NVC (STILL MISSING GRRRRR)

01/03/17....NVC replied to email providing NVC letter and info

01/04/17....Medical Completed

01/04/17....Fedex I-134 (wet signature) and all documents needed from petitioner for CFO and for the USEM interview (employment, divorce decree, etc...)
02/08/17....Interview 
02/09/17....Visa Issued

02/15/17....Visa In Hand :jest:

02/17/17....CFO Interview, Yellow sticker in hand

03/07/17....POE - San Francisco, CA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.