7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I think this is the correct place to post this.

I received an RFE in the mail today regarding a lack of information with my I-864 Affidavit of Support. There are three things requested, however the last request does not make sense when taken with the first.

1. Sponsor's household size - I forgot to fill it after I printed, this was a straight up error and I'm rather frustrated about it, so they need that page filled again, easily done.

2. I rushed the gathering of supporting tax documents and ended up forgetting some, again, we have full tax returns so it's just a case of sending that, also easy.

3. The problem is, they say that my wife does not meet the required income amount for the household size. Refer back to point one, if they household size is unknown, surely they can't know if the income is sufficient? She earns significantly more than the requirement for our actual household size, so I can only figure that the officer adjudicating the application had to say that also until further evidence proves it wrong.

Furthermore, they stated no figure to compare the difference to, and so that seems to further reinforce my impression that it's included as a formality.

I'm currently awaiting a call back from an officer to discuss the issue, but failing that I'm left uncertain of my position. Anyone had a similar experience? Hopefully I'm not the only one to make a silly mistake.

Regards, Dan.

Edited by THERESHI

Filed: Timeline

Hi all,

I received an RFE in the mail today regarding a lack of information with my I-864 Affidavit of Support. There are three things requested, however the last request does not make sense when taken with the first.

1. Sponsor's household size - I forgot to fill it after I printed, this was a straight up error and I'm rather frustrated about it, so they need that page filled again, easily done.

2. I rushed the gathering of supporting tax documents and ended up forgetting some, again, we have full tax returns so it's just a case of sending that, also easy.

3. The problem is, they say that my wife does not meet the required income amount for the household size. Refer back to point one, if they household size is unknown, surely they can't know if the income is sufficient? She earns significantly more than the requirement for our actual household size, so I can only figure that the officer adjudicating the application had to say that also until further evidence proves it wrong.

Furthermore, they stated no figure to compare the difference to, and so that seems to further reinforce my impression that it's included as a formality.

I'm currently awaiting a call back from an officer to discuss the issue, but failing that I'm left uncertain of my position. Anyone had a similar experience? Hopefully I'm not the only one to make a silly mistake.

Regards, Dan.

hey,

i got a similar situation. My husband filed AOS on OCt 21, 2016 then Nov 17, 2016 biometrics done then Dec 12 came with RFE. Similar... household size was filled up incorrectly and recent year income tax return. On the initial, I just submitted an affidavit of support and 2015 W2. Returned back the specific page of the affidavit of support for the household size and the entire income tax return submitted on my recent income tax. Now, waiting time again.....

I read previous post that the USCIS website is kinda sketchy which doesn't right away affects anything after i replied on our RFE request.

Filed: Timeline

Redo the form with the correct household size. Get IRS transcripts for your tax return(s). That clears 1 and 2 and then 3 will clear itself. It's probably a computer generated statement based on 1 and 2 being wrong.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Redo the form with the correct household size. Get IRS transcripts for your tax return(s). That clears 1 and 2 and then 3 will clear itself. It's probably a computer generated statement based on 1 and 2 being wrong.

Exactly what I was going to suggest.

Pkg Sent:9/13/16

Received at Chicago Lock box: 9/16/16

Received Texts: 9/30/16

NOA1 Received: 10/4/16 : Receipt Date of 9/19/16

Bio Appt letter Received: 10/12/16

Bio Appt completed: 10/24/16

Card in production: 11/17/16

Combo Card received 11/25/16

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi all,

Regards, Dan.

Hi there,

Yes, those are general, catch-all "reasons" that they simply tick off when something is missing. Just respond with a new I-864 and all supporting documents - meaning don't just send what they request but send a complete new I-864 package.

Maria ~ U.S. Citizen

K-1 & K-2 Process (Completed in 4 mos. 8 days)

1/19/16: I-129F Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight

4/1/16: NOA2 Approval :dancing:

5/17/16: Interview :star: - APPROVED :dance:

5/25/16 Visas in hand! :thumbs: 

8/5/16: Wedding (L)

AOS/EAD/AP Process, K-1 & K-2 (Completed in 4 mos. 15 days)

9/21/16: Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight [Day 1]

10/24/16: AOS Cases (I-864) RFIE recv'd hardcopy [Day 29]

12/23/16: AOS Case Status Updates - Interview Scheduled, text recv'd [Day 94] :dancing:

1/17/17: EAD/AP Combo Card recv'd via USPS Priority Mail [Day 119]

1/27/17: AOS Interview :star: - APPROVED!! :dance:  [Day 129 / 120 w/ 9day RFIE delay]

1/27/17: AOS Case status update - Approved | 1/31/17: New Card in Production | 2/1/17: Card Was Mailed

2/4/17: Green Cards Arrived :thumbs:

ROC Process, Spouse & 2 Step-Sons (Completed in 23 mos. 22 days)

1/25/19: Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight [Day 1]

1/29/19: NOA notice date, text & email recv'd, routed to CSC

2/1/19: NOA 18mo. Extension Letter arrived in the mail, for wife only [Day 7]

3/13/19: Filed SR for non-receipt of NOA for I-751A dependents [Day 48] | 3/21/19: Recv'd NOA for 2 stepsons [Day 56]

4/29/19: Biometrics (Scheduled) Appt Completed [Day 95]

8/28/20: Case Status Update - RFE [Day 582 ~ 19 mos. 4 days] | 11/20/20: Case Status Update - RFE response recv'd [Day 666 ~ 21 mos. 27 days]

1/7/21: Case Status Update - New Card in Production :dance: [Day 714 ~ 23 mos. 14 days] 

1/15/21: Green Cards Arrived :thumbs:[Day 722 ~ 23 mos. 22 days]

All done for now! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If the required tax return is not included, then the RFE always states the income is insufficient. It is a boiler plate RFE letter. As others have said, fix what was wrong/missing to trigger the RFE, and you may also want to add in letter from employer and/or recent pay stubs to clarify that your current annual income does indeed meet the requirement.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Hi again,

I've filled a fresh I-864 as suggested, and I'll include the complete tax documentation, we already sent a letter from her employer but I'm going to include another just to reaffirm it. I managed to get an officer on the phone who confirmed all of this will be sufficient and suggested if I'm really worried I can explain it in the cover letter and include the I-864P supplement hightlighting our bracket, but that it isn't necessary. I think I'll do it just to be sure, but I feel confident I'm giving them what they need now.

Thanks for all the good advice and support folks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.