davidasker

Which last name should i use for my fiancee on form I-485 after marriage?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I recently got married with my fiancee who came to USA on K-1 visa. Marriage certificate contains her maiden name. I'm confused which name to use for my fiancee on form I-485 her maiden name or should i use my name as her last name on form I-485 since we are married now?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

What name is she using? Has she chose to change her name and use your last name now?

My marriage certificate only shows my maiden name. It also shows my husbands name so this document is used as verification of changing my name to his if I so choose to.

Edited by LionessDeon

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to Fam-based AOS Forum~

~Inquiry about AOS-associated process, topic often discussed at this forum~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

She can take your last name as her last name. States allows one spouse to take the other spouse's last name based on the marriage certificate.

She can not take your first name as her last name, if this happens in your culture. US laws does not allow it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

What name is she using? Has she chose to change her name and use your last name now?

My marriage certificate only shows my maiden name. It also shows my husbands name so this document is used as verification of changing my name to his if I so choose to.

Thanks for clearing this up, was just confused a little.

She can take your last name as her last name. States allows one spouse to take the other spouse's last name based on the marriage certificate.

She can not take your first name as her last name, if this happens in your culture. US laws does not allow it.

Thanks for reply and help

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

This is not true. The spouse changing their last name can choose what they want their last name to be. It really doesn't matter what it is. I was able to choose my husband's first name as my last name when I applied for the marriage license. It was no issue at all.

And OP, you should use her married name now. Whatever you put down on your marriage license to be her new legal name. Just make sure to include her maiden name on the application where it says other names used.

• 4 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
On 12/22/2016 at 11:47 AM, HafsaJawwad said:

This is not true. The spouse changing their last name can choose what they want their last name to be. It really doesn't matter what it is. I was able to choose my husband's first name as my last name when I applied for the marriage license. It was no issue at all.

And OP, you should use her married name now. Whatever you put down on your marriage license to be her new legal name. Just make sure to include her maiden name on the application where it says other names used.

Whatever you put down on your marriage license to be her new legal name

A marriage license may not have the new married name. Some states put the old name. Not desired new name.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.